“What a find”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Philadelphia
“What a find”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We'd never been to Sanibel and picked this based on price and location. For the price we got we didn't expect much, but what a surprise.

The location was right on the beach with a nice beach side pool. Our room was poolside and still had a beach view.

The room was not fancy but you really couldn't ask for more. I think some of the rooms have undergone renovation add ours seemed new. Small but very nice bathroom, refrigerator and microwave. The bed was maybe a little hard and the ac was powerful but did make a little noise. Not objectionable and I'm pretty sensitive to that.

Nice poolside bar with free apps at happy hour. Didn't try the restaurant but other guests said it was nice.

I'd come back for sure!!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Glenn C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Naples, Italy
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I was in august with my family 2 adults and 2 children. It was cery very veri hot and the Air conditioning was noisy, above all during the night. The mattress was covered by a plastic and bed bugs were everywere in the rooms. Dirty, and the water in the bathroom stank! Too bad, because it is a nice place.

Stayed August 2014
6 Thank PaolaAvallone
WWI-Guest-Services, General Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear PaolaAvallone,

Thank you for your recent stay and I am very concerned about your experience. I have sent you a message through Trip Advisor to speak with you further.

For the benefit of our readers, based upon your Trip Advisor username I was able to identify which room you stayed in a few weeks ago.

I have personally thoroughly inspected the room and found no evidence of bed bugs. In fact, the plastic you speak of is a "bed bag" and completely wraps the mattress in a "zip lock bag", so to speak. We do this for a few reasons, but one of the main ones is to mitigate potential bed bug infestations.

I also tested the water and found no objectionable taste or odor. I did notice the air conditioner needs to be serviced and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Thank you again for patronage and your helpful review.

Regards,

Brett Gooch
West Wind Inn
bgooch@westwindinn.com
Naples, Italy
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The price is too high for the quality of the rooms. The beds and pillows very bad, the air conditioning noisy at night and we had to turn it off, the bathroom very small. The only positive note is the beautiful place and contact with nature.
Advice to bring insect repellent! We had the full body of bites (small and red) and the majority of bites occurred in the room.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Seav s
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Was very pleasant - but the front desk personnel was not very friendly - and made me feel badly about asking a question. Other than that it was a very pleasant lovely hotel GREAT location a bit older but very clean. We had dinner at a great resataurant named "The Mad Hatter" a little pricey but worth it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda S
Sarasota
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here throughout the years because it is on the beach and reasonable. This year was not a good year! Rooms never seem to change. Thin bed spread and very broken down mattress.

Too many obnoxious smokers at the pool and on balconies. Until the smoking policy changes here I will not be returning. Loud people by the pool drinking and smoking!! How difficult not to tell them to shut the h---up. Not my type of fun vacation.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Bastmuse
WWI-Guest-Services, General Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Bastmuse,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your loyalty over the years. As a guest who has come time and time again, I take your most recent experience very seriously. I have sent you a note through Trip Advisor to discuss the situation further.

We agree that the West Wind Inn is a beautiful Beach Front Resort that does offer value. It is in our very near future plans to replace all of the soft goods in the rooms, as well as the bedding. You can also look forward to newly painted, lighter rooms.

It is the policy of the hotel that the guest refrains from smoking in the rooms or on the patio's, as the air conditioners can draw that air into the rooms. We are also going to look into smoking and non-smoking areas of our gulfview pooldeck, so that everyone can enjoy themselves as they see fit.

We also have a wonderful poolside bar where guests can enjoy all sorts of beverages, however in this case, it sounds like too many enjoyed too much. We are always looking for ways to improve the property and we rely on honest reviews from our guests in that pursuit.

Again, thank you for your past loyalty and your useful feedback, I hope you will again give us the opportunity to be your hosts on Sanibel.

Regards,

Brett Gooch
bgooch@westwindinn.com
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed at the West Wind Inn for the second time in August, and I was kind of skeptical after reading some of the latest reviews. I was delighted to realize that this place is just as wonderful as the first time I stayed. Just steps from the beach, you couldn't ask for a better location. The beach was not crowded, because it's not near a public access area. The pool was spotless, as were the grounds. The price was excellent and the service was outstanding as usual. I stayed in one of the rooms that was undergoing renovation the first time I was here, and it was beautiful, especially the walk in shower. The room was kept spotless, even the screened in porch, which was so relaxing to sit and watch the sunset. I will be back for sure.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Georgiagirl75
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was our first trip to Sanibel and after pouring over all the ads for the hotels available we picked Westwind INN. We opted for the pool view room that does not have a full kitchen. The price was excellent compared to others in the area. One thing I loved was that several times we were the only one on the private beach. The pool is open all hours so we went swimming at midnight. . It was so nice having the pool all to ourselves and it has these colored lights that changes the water to purple..then green blue etc.. very islandy feel. We found lots of shells on the beach and they had a special washing station for shells which we used. they have bikes to rent pretty cheap. i think it was 20 for the day. They do have some grills you can cook out on.I really liked this hotel. Loved our little patio. I was a little shocked that there was a refrigerator and microwave and kitchen cabinets but no glasses plates or anything at all.But i had my own so I was very happy with this hotel. Like others have mentioned, also didn't love the carpet, but it was clean so no worries.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
#2 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#10 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!