“the MOST hateful proprietor i have ever met”

Shalimar Cottages and Motel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed 25 July 2011

we went to sanibel for a 3 day getaway consisting of myself, 2 adult children and 2 year old granddaughter. the young lady that checked us in was wonderful, the room in the motel portion was directly on the beach with a wonderful view. the room itself was not too bad. the carpet was very very dirty, but that was to be somewhat expected with it's location to the beach. on the day of checkout the owner came near the room at check-out time and we had just loaded our car. he saw sand tracked into our room that had gotten there while packing. the motel had no daily maid service and i had swept it several times a day while there. i was going to give sweep out one last time, although housekeeping was coming any time, when he started SCREAMING how he had never seen a room in such bad shape in 14 years. over and over and over. would not listen or anything. the entire time was ruined in these last few minutes. would never go back only because of this one person. had read negative reviews about him but gave them the benefit of the doubt--should have listened-he was worse than what i had read!!!!

Room Tip: call directly if you want to stay here and subject yourself to him
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank beth_kujawa
There are newer reviews for Shalimar Cottages and Motel

Reviewed 25 July 2011

I entered the hotel and a blast of positive vibes...
I stayed there for around 9-10 days and I felt so relaxed...
must go!!!

And as many people have written before. This is a place you would definitely come back to and recommend to your friends.

Thank you very much for making our stay so pleasant!!!

Love ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank nitesh_11
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Just returned from our visit at Shalimar. If you are looking for an Old Florida feeling, this is the place by the Gulf of Mexico! The grounds are gorgeous, well kept, and clean. We stayed at the Motel buiding where the rooms were right next to each other, the noise was non stop with people and kids running up and down the stairs and hallway all day and night. (hard to take a relaxing nap or sleep at night). The room was musty not very clean, towels were stingy ....the bed had bugs (yes...I was covered with bug bites) when I complained at the office on Thurs, July21st, the lady at the office was rude and said this to me:
We have bugs in Florida, we have to live with them!!!! I did not want to argue, after all I this was our vacation....Definately, the room had fleas or bed bugs, or something!
I was also not happy with the fact that we were paying over $100.00 a day and had NO housekkepping service, which I wasn't told when I checked in that only guests that stay over a week get their rooms cleaned daily. HUGE dissapointment.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank mamacita61
Reviewed 8 July 2011

After 10 years of vacations here at Shalimar Cottages, This visit is my last. Me and my daughter have always come here to enjoy the beach since she was 6. This year my parents decided on making the trip with us, ( They are 72 and 73). After a nights stay in the efficiency, I wanted to upgrade to a cottage where we had more room. I went to the manager and told him my request. I think his name is Romas, He said he had rooms and then stated that I was only to have 2 people in the room, and he was going to have to charge me 20 dollars a night more for the same room. I told him that why the extra charge and he then told me that in Europe everyone is charged extra, I told him that I had been giving him business for over 10 years. His reply was " i might have to loose your business then". He then stood face to face with me and it got heated. Other guest walked in and I told him to take care of them and we will continue this matter. A woman was checking out and she noticed that they did offer a AAA discount, She asked it to be applied to her stay, His response to her was that he could not give her the discount because she should have told him when she checked in. She also left upset. By this time I had made up my mind that he would never have my business again and left the office. After reading the reviews of others, I see that the management seems to be upsetting guest. Besides the management being rude, The cottages were build in 1959 and really need up keep. If you were buying a house this would be called a fixer upper. All repair work done is on the cheap, Beds are not that good, Sheets make you itch, and you can not set the air conditioner any lower than 73, a placard reads in the rooms. This unit will freeze if you set the thermostat lower than 73. You also notice large rat traps all around the grounds. The shalimar has seen its better days, They need new management and to invest into the buildings and grounds. Also in closing, It seems to have become a place where fishermen gather, I dont have any issues with fishing, But we had large groups of about ten, spread on the beach taking up a lot of ocean space, with poles all in the water, They set up first thing in the morning and take most of the beach chairs and don't leave until evening time. I think you can do better on price and customer appreciation elsewhere on the island.

Room Tip: Use AAA and tell them at the time of booking.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank SkyEagle
Reviewed 20 June 2011

My husband and I were looking for a nice relaxing getaway. We read a few reviews on Tripadvisor and thought we would try it out. I am so glad we did. It was wonderful. The staff was very friendly. We stayed in a one bedroom cottage. It was just what we were looking for. The cottage was clean and neat. The kitchen looked like it had been recently redone. It made it very convenient to fix a bite to eat either before or after spending time at the beach. The beach was just a short walk from our cottage. Though there were quite a few people staying at the cottages, the beach didn't feel crowded at all. We definitley felt like we had all the privacy we were looking for. It was also nice to have plenty of restaurants and a grocery store near by. Definitely looking forward to staying again and bringing the whole family.

Room Tip: For best rates and discounts call Shalimar directy
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MDBaptist
Reviewed 6 June 2011

This small motel and cottages are the closest to the beach right on the Gulf of Mexico. We stayed in the motel and only had to step out of our door and onto the beach. A large screened in porch, 2 queen size beds, small kitchen made this a perfect place for the two of us. With only 33 units, the good size pool was never crowded(10 people at the most on Memorial day weekend) and most times we were the only ones in the pool. They provide almost everything you need. Plenty of towels for the pool, a laundry exchange, paper towels, dishwashing liquid, coffee filters, and toilet paper of course. No daily mail service if you are there for 7 days or less, but with the laundry exchange we didn't need it. It is an older place, but clean and perfect. We will stay there again. The staff was very nice and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank luvtravel99
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Our motel room was very clean, the location is excellent. Literally at the edge of the beach. Management IS NOT VERY FRIENDLY and for me it made a lasting impression. The manager quoted one price, but the brochure from the CHAMBER OF COMMERCE said another. I had to negotiate a little, but did get the suggested price on the brochure.
This motel was definately adequate for the price.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
#5 of 20 in Sanibel Island
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
#8 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to Shalimar Cottages and Motel? Share your experiences!