“Shalimar-a jewel”

Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Shalimar-a jewel”
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Wonderful place! I had never been to this side of Florida. We stayed at a condo at Bowmans Pass for a week. I figured since this is off season, we would just drive around and find a place for our extra 3 nights after we had to check out of the condo. I am so glad I went down this road, and found the Shalimar. Spectacular, spectacular. I stayed in the 2 bedroom unit. They are by no means a fancy unit, but just very nice and comfortable! The screened in porches are wonderful. We just got back this week, and it was over 100 every day. However, we still enjoyed the porch in the evening. Everything was extremely clean. They worked out a great price deal because of the off season. It is a very quiet resort when we were there. There are bikes to rent, grills to use, a pool, shell sorting tables, and even clothes lines for hanging up suits. There is a laundry facility on the premises. There is not maid service, so if you cannot survive without that, do not come. You just bring your towels for fresh ones whenever you need to. There are towels provided by the pool. Then, there is the beach. AWESOME. White sand as far as the eye can see. The water is turquoise, and plenty of shells. As a matter of fact, we were pulling up starfish and sand dollars(not to keep, because they were alive), while swimming. The water was sooo warm, it was unbelievable. However, you will notice the water is not deep here compared to up by Captiva. There are chairs provided for the beach, which is really nice!!! We loved the stay. The cottages look real cute from the outside, and I will bet they are nice. The ones by the ocean have a great view. I looked at a motel room, and it was exactly that. However, they had a great view. So, if you do not mind staying in one room, this would be the thing for you. It just wouldn't have worked for us, because we had 4 people, and the quarters would have been tight. The 2 bedroom was nice!!! And, complimentary robes were provided. Ahh paradise. I will say, I do vacation in Hawaii, and this place reminded me of relaxing there. The only difference, is the water viewing quality. The water is awesome turquoise, but you cannot see a foot in front of you. Just enjoy for swimming not major snorkeling. Stay here, and you would not regret it!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank us2snorkel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I arrived on Sanibel Island late in the afternoon, with no reservations. After deciding that I wanted to stay somewhere on West Gulf Drive, I drove back and forth, looking at all the properties. The Shalimar was the perfect distance from the town area (with grocery stores and restauratns) and Bowman Beach. It was also very close to the nature preserve.

The front desk lady was very pleasant and helpful. She gave me the option of two rooms in the motel section of the hotel at reduced rates, since it was off season and the rooms were vacant. She gave me the keys to both rooms to help me decide which. I chose the upstairs gulf front room, #11 which is the room pictured on their website as it turns out.

The room was great. Two queen beds, and efficiency kitchen that was well stocked with dishes. Large plasma TV and DVD, full sized fridge, oven, stovetop and microwave. There was also a nice sized screened in balcony with a great view down the beach. Absolutely spectacular view of the gulf and down the beach. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were spotless. Parking was very close to the room, I guess that's why it is called a motel. There was a very nice pool that I didn't visit, but there were plenty of lounge chairs if you wanted to sun there and avoid the sand. On the beach there were many lounge chairs for the use of the guests, beach side showers and a beautiful, wide beach. (More pictures at www.bit.ly/beachexaminer)

Although the location of shells changes from day to day - right in front of the hotel was GREAT shelling. Better than Bowman Beach even.

One other thing I greatly appreciated, was that the wireless internet connection was SPECTACULAR anywhere on the property, and free to guests.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank FloridaBeachBarbie
Intervale, NH
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We stayed there for 4 nights in early April. It was right on the beach and the cheapest place we called. We were a little apprehensive after reading some reviews but I guess some people are difficult to please. We had a motel room on the second floor. The place looked newly renovated and the bedspreads, shower curtain and drapes all matched in a tropical print. The room had an ample size bathroom with large vanity, shower/tub. The full kitchen (stove/oven, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, dishes, glasses, flatware, pots, pans, etc.) was more than we were expecting. Room had two queen beds, nightstand, closet, chest of drawers, desk with chair, table with 2 chairs and 2 easy chairs with floor lamp between. A flat screen tv was another pleasant surprise. The screened in porch has a chaise lounge, two chairs and a table. Plenty of lighting. No musty smells and clean. They do not come in to make beds or change towels but you can get fresh towels at office. There is a heated pool. When we arrived the young woman at the desk was very pleasant and helpful. They do have coffee at the office in the morning but we made our own. There are chairs by the beach for guests. The shelling is fabulous. There was only one low tide a day while we were there and it was in the early morning hours. I did get up on our last night at 3 a.m. and dragged my husband with me to the beach. We bought a lantern style flashlight and looked for shells. We say lots of white crabs scurring around. We had a great time on Sanibel and would stay at Shalimar again. It is centrally located to the wildlife refuge. There was also WiFi in the rooms and a computer in the office for guests to use.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MeaganLeigh
Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I was so impressed with the cottage that we stayed in. It was by no means fancy and but very clean and hearing the ocean at night was awesome. We could see the ocean from the back of the room and it was all wonderful. Needs updating but we were never in the room long enough for it too really matter.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank rjbfair
St Louis
Reviewed 23 September 2008

We've stayed at many different places on Sanibel/Captive and Shalimar Cottages is definately one of the best. All the cottages were remodeled several years ago - the pool is beautiful and can't beat the location.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Barb T
USA
Reviewed 4 June 2008

The property is beautiful and well maintained. The pool is clean and also well maintained. I don't spend much time in the room so I have no comment on furnishings. I do however have something to say about the behavior of the manager. Upon checking in I had a few questions and was spoken to like I was a child. I was there over a holiday so I had to prepay for the room for 4 days. By the time we checked in I was so tired from traveling and didn't want to argue any more, I decided to stay and make the best of my vacation.

I am truly writing this just as a warning that if you ever prepay for a vacation and you find the hotel is not what you expected for any reason, you are not stuck! As long as you do not stay in the room that you paid for you can call your credit card company and dispute the charge. If only I would have known that then but at least I do now!

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank 36Lars
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 April 2008

We recently spent one night at the Shalimar on the second floor of the motel building. The good: fabulous location, nicely kept grounds, great sunset views, comfortable Adirondack chairs for the beach, nice staff. The bad (or not so good): badly dated furnishings, bathroom in need of renovation, full refrigerator blocked access to kitchen light switch so we had to reach using a spatula to turn the light on and off and while the porch was screened against the bugs the fact it faced west and the afternoon sun made it pretty much unuseable most of the afternoon because of the heat.

Maybe the cottages would work for a longer stay but we would not stay at the motel again.

But we still LOVE Sanibel!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Outdated furnishings and bathroom
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple