“Every thing on the cheap”

Shalimar Cottages and Motel
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed 21 December 2009

All the applidcances and servcies are the cheapest possible. I specifically asked if they had hi speed internet connectivity as I had an important meeting on Monday and I had to download some files. They said they had wifi. What they didn't say is that it was slower than dial up. The sign in screen had a feature to purchase more bandwidth but it didn't work. The manager blamed it on the wifi provider. Having 25 years experience in the business I know that you get the bandwidth you pay for and they must not have paid for much. The location is the best the amenities are marginal to poor.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank joeNYNy_Ny

Reviewed 23 August 2009

Over the years we've stayed at the Shalimar 4 times - 3 times in the motel and once in a gulf-front cottage. You can't beat the proximity to the beach or the location on the island for shelling and restaurants/shops. The grounds and pool are well above average. Service is usually professional but not overly warm or accommodating.

Unfortunately we won't be returning. The furnishings are mostly dated and worn and show excessive signs of wear (rusting fixtures, chipped mirrors and tiles, faded and rusting lanai furnishings, etc.). The sheets are the coarsest I've ever slept on and the mattresses sorely need replacing.

Many of the guests at the Shalimar are return guests of twenty or more years so likely the owners don't feel there's a need to renovate. I hate it that all of the pluses of this property can't make up for the run-down furnishings. If I ever learn that the owners have replaced the beds and bed linens, replaced the lanai furniture and updated the bathrooms and kitchens I'd glady return.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank kstukens
Reviewed 22 July 2009

We stayed in the motel part, unit #1, actually on the beach. The view down the beach and toward the sunset was really nice. They also had cottages, not as close to the beach but still right there. Everything was clean, nicely kept up, cute. Pool was wonderful, never crowded. We shelled and fished right in front of our room, 30 feet from our door .We grilled some of the fish we caught. The beach here is very child friendly, shallow water. The location to town and Captiva Island could not be beat, very central. The beach was never crowded here either, just a handful of other guests on it when we were. This is not a fancy place but laid back, clean and friendly. It was a very nice place to stay and we would choose this over some of the condos we saw from the beach just because it is so close to the water.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank moo2u
Reviewed 22 July 2009

we live in Miami and we like to take trips on the spur of the moment. we decided we would drive up the west coast and spend the night where ever we got tired. we drove into Sanibel island and decided to go look for a room, we stopped at a few hotels but were too pricey, so we decided to just drive around the island and maybe head back home after. we stopped at a little park so my son could play on the swings and slides. there was a gentleman walking his dog and we started talking and he turned out to be a councilman for sanibel, he recommended a few hotels and cottages and we decided to stop at this one. we were very pleased with the cottage and also got a discount with the mention of the councilman. very nice and clean. we will definitly be back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taz0007
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Sanibel beach is beautiful, no doubt but i will prefer to stay in a better place next time. they need to replace the carpet from the rooms, they even have carpet on the walkways and in the porchs. For the amount you paid you could get a better place also close to the beach. i stayed in the first floor of the motel and you can hear at night the people from upstair walking, very disturbing. the manager is watching all the time, too many rules and restrictions. the people from the front desk weren't that nice, this is a place for old people with no kids. you can hear everything from the room next door. Maybe staying in the cottages will be less disappointed. i felt like it was watched all the time and afraid that my 3 year old son would make any noise that will disturb the other people staying at this crappy place.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank raidysisaac
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Wonderful place! I had never been to this side of Florida. We stayed at a condo at Bowmans Pass for a week. I figured since this is off season, we would just drive around and find a place for our extra 3 nights after we had to check out of the condo. I am so glad I went down this road, and found the Shalimar. Spectacular, spectacular. I stayed in the 2 bedroom unit. They are by no means a fancy unit, but just very nice and comfortable! The screened in porches are wonderful. We just got back this week, and it was over 100 every day. However, we still enjoyed the porch in the evening. Everything was extremely clean. They worked out a great price deal because of the off season. It is a very quiet resort when we were there. There are bikes to rent, grills to use, a pool, shell sorting tables, and even clothes lines for hanging up suits. There is a laundry facility on the premises. There is not maid service, so if you cannot survive without that, do not come. You just bring your towels for fresh ones whenever you need to. There are towels provided by the pool. Then, there is the beach. AWESOME. White sand as far as the eye can see. The water is turquoise, and plenty of shells. As a matter of fact, we were pulling up starfish and sand dollars(not to keep, because they were alive), while swimming. The water was sooo warm, it was unbelievable. However, you will notice the water is not deep here compared to up by Captiva. There are chairs provided for the beach, which is really nice!!! We loved the stay. The cottages look real cute from the outside, and I will bet they are nice. The ones by the ocean have a great view. I looked at a motel room, and it was exactly that. However, they had a great view. So, if you do not mind staying in one room, this would be the thing for you. It just wouldn't have worked for us, because we had 4 people, and the quarters would have been tight. The 2 bedroom was nice!!! And, complimentary robes were provided. Ahh paradise. I will say, I do vacation in Hawaii, and this place reminded me of relaxing there. The only difference, is the water viewing quality. The water is awesome turquoise, but you cannot see a foot in front of you. Just enjoy for swimming not major snorkeling. Stay here, and you would not regret it!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank us2snorkel
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I arrived on Sanibel Island late in the afternoon, with no reservations. After deciding that I wanted to stay somewhere on West Gulf Drive, I drove back and forth, looking at all the properties. The Shalimar was the perfect distance from the town area (with grocery stores and restauratns) and Bowman Beach. It was also very close to the nature preserve.

The front desk lady was very pleasant and helpful. She gave me the option of two rooms in the motel section of the hotel at reduced rates, since it was off season and the rooms were vacant. She gave me the keys to both rooms to help me decide which. I chose the upstairs gulf front room, #11 which is the room pictured on their website as it turns out.

The room was great. Two queen beds, and efficiency kitchen that was well stocked with dishes. Large plasma TV and DVD, full sized fridge, oven, stovetop and microwave. There was also a nice sized screened in balcony with a great view down the beach. Absolutely spectacular view of the gulf and down the beach. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were spotless. Parking was very close to the room, I guess that's why it is called a motel. There was a very nice pool that I didn't visit, but there were plenty of lounge chairs if you wanted to sun there and avoid the sand. On the beach there were many lounge chairs for the use of the guests, beach side showers and a beautiful, wide beach. (More pictures at www.bit.ly/beachexaminer)

Although the location of shells changes from day to day - right in front of the hotel was GREAT shelling. Better than Bowman Beach even.

One other thing I greatly appreciated, was that the wireless internet connection was SPECTACULAR anywhere on the property, and free to guests.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo