“Literally "By the beach" ”

Waterside Inn on the Beach
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Katy, Texas, United States
“Literally "By the beach" ”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

This was a family vacation we (my 2 kids and husband) arrived on Wednesday early morning when it was still dark outside but you just knew you were right by the beach! We had, like ALWAYS, done our research on TA and just knew we had to visit this place. We tried getting a cottage but they were not available for the 5 nights we needed it for so we settled for a 2 queen bed room with a full kitchen. The dishes and cooking utensils were included! Even a blender! Anyway, the room had it's own balcony, which was so awesome waking up and making coffee and sitting on that balcony watching the sunrise! SWEET... PARADISE.... There must be 100 coconut palms on this property. Lovely!
To best describe you the room layout, when you walk in there's the kitchen, little table and four chairs to your left. Countertops are granite. Pretty cool for a beach hotel. Then there's the 2 queen beds, oh so dreamy!!! They were more comfortable than my own bed. LOL! I slept like a baby on this bed... Seriously! The bathroom was pretty roomy and I will say that the only complaint is that there's no fan in the bathroom. No biggie for me though. They've got a small window that you can open right over the tub.
I really enjoyed the beach being right there and the pool as well. The pool was always nicely clean and almost never even used. They also have bicycle rentals so you can go ride around town in and check out the beautiful nature that surrounds you.
I have nothing to say but great things to say about waterside inn. The staff was super friendly and attentive to our needs. This was our first time visiting Sanibel/Captiva and we totally fell in love with it! This is a nature lovers paradise!! I am so in love with this island that I'm thinking of moving to Florida for the beaches! You can't beat the sunsets and tropics! Love love love!!! I definitely give waterfront inn a 100✔️ and will be returning this December!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank jackie_sassy_28
Sanibelblondie, Owner at Waterside Inn on the Beach, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
What a super review and happy customer. Glad you mentioned our newly purchased beds (mattress). They are sooo comfortable and we have gotten so many thumbs up on the comfort. Many people like yourself say that they are more comfortable than their own beds. It also sounds like you really took in "island life" while you were here. Sanibel and the Waterside Inn are a real throw back to simpler times, calmer times, and times that we wish would never end. Now that you have that sand in your toes, we'll be looking for you again soon. See you in December and thanks again for sharing your experiences here at The Waterside Inn.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a large group staying in different accommodations for a family reunion of 23 people. My husband and I stayed at the Kiwi cottage which is a one room efficiency very close to the beach with an old Florida feel. The efficiency was well equipped, but could use some upgrades. The bed linens looked pretty worn and the pillows were paper thin. Overall, the place was clean and conveniently located with adjacent parking for one car. Other family members stayed at the condominiums and they were all well appointed, with good size kitchens fully upgraded and equipped. Living space was ample and includes a screened balcony. If staying here again, I might consider a condo and forgo the old Florida cottage feel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Wow, what a great reunion you had. It was so much fun to see everyone meet up with their group. We are so glad you had a wonderful time here at Waterside Inn. See you again next year!
West Columbia
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

After doing my vacation research for our group of 5 adults and 3 kids, I settled on the Waterside and was not disappointed at all. The receptionist was friendly and helpful in booking two cottages right across from each other for easy back and forth with the kids. After arrival we were granted an early check in since the cottages were ready. Cottages were roomy, clean and well stocked with essential kitchen utensils. The office graciously loaned us beach towels which worked well and enabled us not to have to unpack ours. The beach was just an easy walk from the Raspberry & Grapefruit. Atmosphere was quiet, laid back with an old Florida charm. Grounds were laid out well and maintained with shuffle board court and shell washing station. Staff was exceptionally helpful. Parking was limited and tight but even with our full size suburban we managed fine. Bailey's Grocery (★★★★★) and many restaurants are only a short drive away. Normally we vacation on the east coast because of the better waves for surfing and body boarding but for the shells and the calm warmer waters of the gulf this was an enjoyable change. Given the opportunity, I'll definitely be coming back to stay at the Waterside Inn! A huge shout out to native "Steel City" resident John, Go Bucs!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Inland3899
Sanibelblondie, Owner at Waterside Inn on the Beach, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Well, well, well...another shout out for our famous Pittsburg Steeler Maintenance Guy, John. He sure has a lot of fans out there! For anyone coming to stay with is here at Waterside Inn, John is our "go to" guy for anything your heart desires. If there's a problem...John will be there Jolly on the Spot to make things right.

Thanks so much for the great review and I know we'll see you again next year. Till then may all your sunsets be beachside!
Mid Florida, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in the Breakers West building, room B3. The unit itself was very large and roomy, very comfortable for our group of four adults and two babies. The kitchen was very large and allowed us to prepare meals comfortably. A roll of paper towels, dish soap, and all of the utensils, dishes, and pans we needed to cook were provided. The unit had a blue theme overall, which my mother thought was beautiful, and definitely had that old Florida style which is so nice. The Master had a large closet (that actually fit the portable crib for the baby), a King size bed and still room to spare for luggage and moving around. The second room had two twin beds. There was a large living space and a nice, large, screened-in lanai overlooking the pool where we could eat meals. The office staff was very welcoming and friendly, even helping us once just before office closing when we locked ourselves out of our unit. They provided suggestions of places to go and eat, specific to our needs.
There was an elevator or stair option to get to this second floor unit, our designated parking spot was at the end of the building, and there was a back alley-way type sandy path to take straight to the beach. We couldn't have been happier with our actual room, but it is definitely not a large resort, so make sure you are aware of that (no daily cleaning).
My son and father loved playing shuffleboard on property for free. We also spent a lot of time in the pool, which , when we were there, was not crowded at all. There are actually two on property. The reason I give this property 4 stars instead of 5 is that the beach was not my favorite. I'm not sure if it's a seasonal thing, or a location thing, but there were little noseeums that did bite all of us, which was irritating. There were also little "creatures" on the beach...not sure what they are called, they were small, shelled creatures. If you scooped up a handful of shells for shelling, you'd get several live ones in your handful. Also, my husband noticed that as we swam, there were lots of dead ones floating around us in the water. Again, I'm not sure if it's just a seasonal thing or what, but that's the reason I didn't love the beach. We didn't go to any other beaches on the island, so I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere at this time of year, but that was my experience there. My kids still loved playing in the sand and looking through the shells, but I wouldn't return to this particular beach at this time of year again.
I do want to mention there were several sea turtle nests up and down the beach, protected by stakes, that we looked at from afar, and that was cool to see.
The unit provided a great home base to go out from to see other sights on the island, so its central location was also very nice. The closest grocery/supply store, Bailey's, was just up the road, and my husband made several trips there getting us food and beach supplies.

1 Thank TravelingMama19
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review our property. Being on an island is enchanting in so many ways...tropical vegetation, wildlife, the ocean, an abundance of sea shells and wonderful natives. Sometimes we have to put up with a few annoying Natives such as the NoSeeUms. They just LOVE to nibble on some people. While most over the counter spray can take care of them, there are still a few that are very persistent. Unfortunately, that is not under my control and we do our best to warn our guests of their presence. The great thing is that a little ocean breeze will blow them away but on those quiet balmy nights there is just no keeping them at bay other than long pants and sleeves. The live creatures you encountered in the sand could have been either Sand Fleas which are excellent bait or a shell called the coquina. Both are harmless and have many positive effects on our nature and environment. Hope you come again soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed Nov 2012 in Pineapple Bldg 2nd floor. Enjoyed morning coffee on balcony watching sunrise, spectacular evening sunsets on beach. Very clean, spacious, nicely decorated and landscaped. Pool cozy and heated. Free beach chairs, tiki hut, wine & cheese party, beach grass and dunes gave old Florida feel. Rented bikes for week at hotel and rode all over island including Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, lighthouse, CROW, Taste of the Islands event. Ate at the Island Cow (favorite), Doc Ford's and the Bubble Room. Kayaked in the mangroves (yikes!) Location the best on Sanibel, staff were wonderful. Next time want to try the Blueberry Cottage.

Room Tip: Beach views from 2nd floor Pineapple bldg.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Daryl2670
Sanibelblondie, Owner at Waterside Inn on the Beach, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Wow, sounds like you had the time of your life! That's what vacations are made of - good times, great location, and super customer service. So glad you got to experience Sanibel Island and Waterside Inn. We appreciate you choosing us to help with your vacation. Hope to see you again soon!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Overall, we had a pleasant experience at Waterside Inn. The front desk staff was friendly, helpful, professional and welcoming. The setting and location were ideal, right on the beach. That said, we felt the rooms and accommodations left much to be desired. I’m down for “old-time Florida” but the rooms weren’t nice enough to justify the price. We were in the Pineapple Building. I don’t mind outdated, so the issue seemed more with the feel of the room. I hesitate to use the word “smell” but the rooms did not have the best bouquet. While I appreciated the small private patio with partial views of the gulf, the AC units from every room created a cacophony that detracted from a relaxing experience. Bonuses included on-site bike rental, ability to use a BBQ, Shuffle Board and 2 small, albeit crowded pools. Bottom line is while the location is excellent, the cost/value ratio was average. I could not imagine paying high-season prices for these accommodations. Perhaps others are just comparing experiences and rates to other places on Sanibel and Florida which is fair. However, broadening a horizon to consider you can get a better room in a destination such as the Caribbean or Cayman Islands for a better price, makes this hard to recommend. On a positive note and echoing the sentiment of others, the Waterside Inn was low-key, comfortable, well situated and we had a pleasant experience that I would not change.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BeachvsMountains
Thank you for sharing your experience here at the Waterside Inn. While the property is a throwback to simpler times, we do try to keep everything clean, comfortable and updated. We are not a chain, not fancy or upscale, just a great family owned fairy tale get away on one of the most beautiful beaches in the good ole USA. Who needs to travel outside our country when you have places this good in Florida? We have a wonderful community of people that come back year after year and would love to have you be a part of that.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 6 July 2014

These are cutest cottages ever!! I was very appreciative that they allowed my husband and I and my three teen daughters to stay in one cottage and not force us into two rooms/cottages...they only requested we bring an air mattress, which worked out perfectly...the location and distance to beach was perfect, not too far away. Wasn't able to see ocean from patio, but that didn't matter as we were usually on the beach during daylight hours anyway... swimming pool was very cleaning and refreshing! It was really awesome how friendly the other guests were and from listening to their stories they were return guests!! Some showed us how to find sand dollars and star fish and educated us about keeping them in water so they would die! We will definitely choose Waterside Inn again on our next trip to the island!!! I hesitate on giving such great review for fear others will find our little gem of a treasure and book it up away from us....

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room at all.... our bed was extremely comfortable as well!! We stayed raspberr...
1 Thank shelly h
Sanibelblondie, Owner at Waterside Inn on the Beach, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
We appreciate your feedback on Trip Advisor and best of all, your great review of Waterside Inn on the Beach. Our cottages are really a throwback to simpler times and the location of Waterside Inn is excellent as well as we are tucked away a little from the busier parts of the island. There is something about staying here that makes you feel like you can relax, have fun, and be yourself. Now that the busy season is over, we are sprucing up the grounds for your arrival next year! Hope to see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanibel Island
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
#8 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Waterside Inn on the Beach? Share your experiences!