Waterside Inn on the Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Island Inn(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
Sunset Beach Inn(Sanibel Island)
Beachview Cottages(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
West Wind Inn(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
Casa Ybel Resort(Sanibel Island)
Mitchell's Sandcastles(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
All reviewspineapple lodgethe cottagesthe kitchenold floridashuffleboard courtlounge chairspalm treesliterally stepsrent bikesshort drivelaid backsmall poolwest gulf drivesecond floorair conditionerstaff was very friendly and helpfulbug spray
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 March 2006

Vintage and charm are the two words that come to mind when I think of the Waterside Inn.

We arrived at 10am - way too early for the 3pm check-in. The friendly clerk rented us bikes and we were off exploring the island. When we returned at 4pm, they handed us our keys, and in no time, we were showered joining the sunset party by the shuffleboard court.

The rooms are simple and clean. From what I understand, the rooms were renovated in 2000. No, they're not fancy 5-star rooms, but they are nice.

I admit, there was some rust on the door of the refrigerator that was in our room. There was also some rust on a fixture in the bath. I don't know why, but it didn't really bother me.

While visiting Sanibel, I made a point to visit some of the other locations that I'd found before booking at the Waterside Inn. They were all pretty enough, but none of them match the charm of this location. This place feels so tropical and removed. It's unlike any other ocean front lodging on Sanible (or Captiva).

They put us in Pineapple Lodge 119. After reading the reviews of the cottages, I might book one next time. We're already planning our next visit.

• Stayed: March 2006
13  Thank Kathryn0
Reviewed 18 March 2006

I did research for weeks on line and this place was my choice, it was perfect, you must stay here, we stayed in a cottage the yellow pineapple it had a screened in porch, which was perfect for keeping all of our sandy beach towels, shoes, they have a place to hang up wet towels. You park right next to your door, a step to your car! It was the best, no waiting for elevators! As we opened the door the room was huge, sofa-chair-wicker very tastefully decorated, a kitchen with a table, fully equipped, the bedroom was large with a king size bed- the mattress was not great had a lumpy spot but, that was the only complaint better than our previous mattress at fort myers beach it was hard as a rock, so this one was better. It was nice we paid $203 I believe. We were only staying 3 nights and driving back to tampa airport to catch our flight but we decided to stay at the waterside another night instead of driving to tampa for a room, we just got up early that morning at 5:00 to catch our 11:00 flight, since we loved the place but, we did have to move to another cottage next door our last night. I will go back. We stayed at fort myers beach our first four nights at the best western on the beach, it was nice, the beach sand was like powdered sugar and very busy with alot of action and music, and all of the young spring breakers alot of night life-bands playing-people everywhere it was great but, we wanted to split our trip up and we both liked the waterside better if we had to pick of the two. They have free chairs which were great because at the best western we had to pay 20.00 a day to rent them, which was a rip! We really appreciated the free chairs. Can't wait to go back to the waterside, take my advice and don't hesitate to stay in a cottage. Our last night was in the green kiwi, it was all in one room and it would have been ok our entire stay, it was less money and fine. Enjoy your stay at the waterside. High school principal and wife in Iowa

• Stayed: March 2006
16  Thank Raven2000
Reviewed 9 February 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Waterside Inn on the Beach from 1/12 for thru 1/15/06. We stayed in the Mango cottage # 102. It was a perfect location for a cottage. Right on the beach....a view of the gulf from our front window and a view of the sunset everynight from our couch or our screened in porch. The staff was wonderful and we loved our cottage. Clean, comfortable and for the earlier review about the rough sheets...well, they were just fine, not rough at all(although a newer bedspread would be nice):). The kitchen was a great plus, and the refrigerator was not rusty as was stated in a previous review. Yes, the bathroom was small, but clean, and fresh towels were supplied every morning. The Friday night sunset get together was very nice. We will definetly be back and hopefully staying at the same cottage. However, we would be happy trying some of the other cottages or their efficiency units.

• Stayed: January 2006
12  Thank mattandleen
A TripAdvisor Member
Chesapeake, VA
Reviewed 26 January 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Waterside 1/13-1/17. It was our second visit and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. When we checked in, the staff told us about the sunset cocktail get together that evening which was a nice way to meet other guests and the staff of the inn. The staff were all very accomodating, our room cleaned early each day and the beach was wonderful. We love the location on the west end of the island. We ate at Doc Ford's, Gramma Dots and had pizza delivered from Island Pizza. All were great. We've made reservations to return next year.

• Stayed: January 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 January 2006

I was wary of the hotel after initial booking problems. They charged the deposit to my credit card twice and despite 2 e-mails and a phone call, ignored my request to retain the money rather then refund my credit card. Due to exchange rate shifts their error and unwillingness to listen to me left me out of pocket by around $20. Not a good start.

We have visited Sanibel many times and know exactly what standards to expect from our hotel. On this occasion very few of our expectations were met -

One of the beds in the room was broken. It had a "V" in the centre where the mattress had folded in completely and could not be used.

The second bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. My partner and I required painkillers each morning as we were barely able to move after a night in this bed.

The room was damp - I'm well used to the beach side hotels and I know what to expect but clothes placed in drawers in the room were damp when we took them out.

The carpet was not clean and did not apear to be vacuumed at any point during our stay.

The closet doors were rusty, as were a number of other fixtures within the room.

The bedside lamp had a bare wire hanging from it.

We were unable to obtain towels for use by the pool - guests are expected to bring their own pool towels - not made clear on the website.

The information contained in the room relating to the costs for guest laundry is incorrect and does not reflect the actual charge

There were several extremely ill mannered and rowdy children staying at the Inn which made relaxing quietly impossible - this I accept is not the fault of the Inn, rather the inability of their parents to control them.

Whilst the staff were friendly and seemed accomodating I was bitterly disapointed in the standard of this establishment. although the grounds were nice on initial arrival once inside the rooms it had a somewhat shabby motel feel . Not somewhere I will return to or recommend to others.

• Stayed: January 2005