Waterside Inn on the Beach
Casa Ybel Resort(Sanibel Island)
US$354
Official Site
US$265
US$258
Hotels.com
West Wind Inn(Sanibel Island)
US$294
US$212
Travelocity
US$285
US$219
Hotels.com
Anchor Inn & Cottages(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$244
US$220
Hotels.com
Seaside Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$269
Hotwire.com
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$199
Official Site
Parrot Nest(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$188
Hotwire.com
Sunset Beach Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$244
TripAdvisor
Island Inn(Sanibel Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspineapple lodgethe cottagesthe kitchenold floridashuffleboard courtlounge chairspalm treesliterally stepsrent bikesshort drivelaid backsmall poolwest gulf drivesecond floorair conditionerstaff was very friendly and helpfulbug spray
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 March 2007

Last spring, my family (husband, son and parents) spent a few days at the Waterside Inn. We chose this hotel because my parents brought their dog and the Waterside was one of the few places that was pet friendly. The cottages were quaint but not very comfortable. The management should spring for more relaxation friendly furniture. The porches, which overlook the stunning beach views, cannot be enjoyed with the cheap plastic chairs they provided. If you are looking for luxury...look elsewhere. However, the beach is literally outside your rooms and my son had a blast running in the sand between our cottages. The pool area is very nice. I would recommend the Waterside if you are a low maintenance family who enjoys spectacular beach views and access.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank jillsue29
Reviewed 2 February 2007

After a wonderful, busy 8-day cruise, we had three days left in Florida until we had to go home, and decided to go to Sanibel Island for the seashelling. We arrived on the island with no hotel reservation and stopped at the Chamber of Commerce. The staff directed us to the Waterside Inn.

Some things are meant to be, because we had the most wonderful, peaceful, beautiful three days. Perfect little cottages right on the oceanfront with a spectacular view of the sunsets. We could literally take out a shovel and fill bags and bags full of seashells.

The Waterside has a nice, heated pool, shuffleboard, chairs and umbrellas. The cottages were nicely decorated in beach/seaside decor. Palm trees were everywhere with a white-sand beach. Very helpful, caring manager on site.

It's one of the best spots we've ever found!

Stayed: January 2007
5  Thank osheas5622
Reviewed 25 January 2007

Intended to stay for 1 night, but ended up staying for 3. Went to Sanibel Chamber of Commerce and received the walk in rate of $95.00 per night instead of the published $212.00.
We had a choice of two cottages and picked no 112 Blueberry Cottage. Absolutely fantastic...clean kitchen, large living area, comfy bed in the bedroom, plenty of fans/heating. As we were on a road trip, it was welcoming to come across a well stocked kitchen with all the necessary utensils for cooking shark steaks! Beach just at the end of the property and the on site bike hire invaluable. Would definitely visit Sanibel and Waterside Inn again. Jaqui, Neil & Nathan, Huddersfield, England. Stayed 16th Jan to 19th Jan 2007

Stayed: January 2007
5  Thank jaqholidayqueen
Reviewed 25 December 2006

I found this property at the last minute (3 days to Christmas). I have a beagle and needed a place that allowed pets. I wanted somewhere quiet and serene. I also wanted a small town feel. I found all of these at the waterside inn on sanibel beach.

The kitchens come equipped with all the dishes and utensils you could need. The units are clean and up to date in furniture design. The bathrooms are older, but adequate. You can even take your dog onto the beach (they own part of it on their property) which is cool & sit int he lounge chairs and relax with your pup. I even took my beagle ont he public portion of the beach (although you are not supposed to) and all was ok.

The office staff and owners are GREAT. They made me feel very welcome and even when my beagle bayed for a few hours ebing left alone.

You can even rent your bicycle right ont eh property so you can ride into Sanibel's shopping district or onto Captiva Island to shop, eat, etc.

The only thing I think they could improve on is to offer high speed internet, either plug in or wireless since there is no 'real' cyber cafe on the island.

I can do nothing other than to recommend this property.

• Stayed: December 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank ctrojanowski
Reviewed 15 August 2006

We chose the Waterside in part because of the great reviews we saw online and frankly, I'm shocked at how highly this property is rated. Please don't misunderstand me: the location is downright stunning, and yes, it's mere inches from the water, which is a major plus. However, the location aside, the accommodations are not up to decent standards.

We stayed in the Mango Cottage, and while we expected a slight downgrade due to our pet-friendly accommodation request, our cottage actually smelled so horribly we ran out to buy air freshener almost immediately. The cottage reeked of rotting pets or old seafood or something very, very amiss. The floor was cold, ancient concrete throughout the entire cottage, and there wasn't a throw rug in sight. The furniture was clearly well-worn and extremely uncomfortable (faux wicker, with very few throw pillows - you could not sit in the couch or chair in any sort of slouchy, relaxed manner. It was upright or be miserable.)

What really killed us, however, was the grit and grime that covered nearly every surface. We lay in bed at night laughing at how incredibly gritty we were, even after repeated showers. I understand it's a beachfront cottage, and the sand is difficult to extricate, but this went well beyond any normal level of beachy sand. The beds were so gritty that we could barely sleep at night - grit and sand permeated the beds, even on our first night, when we hadn't even been outside to the beach yet.

There was no housekeeping at all during our stay, per the property's policy. Fresh towels were provided, however. The kicker was that there was an envelope from the housekeeping staff for visitors to use to tip them for their good work. Tasteless, given that there was no actual maid service offered.

The bathroom that they claimed was recently redone was clean enough, if tiny (two people could not be in there at the same time), but the shower head was actually situated so low on the wall that I had to either sit down or duck to stand under the spray (and I am not Amazonian by nature. I'm a 5'7'' woman. My husband was forced to crouch for the duration of his shower).

All in all, the location is wonderful, if overpriced, but please, come expecting bare bones accommodations designed for minimal occupancy. For families who simply want a place to shower and sleep at night after being out and about on the beach, this is probably a so-so choice. If you are a couple looking for a romatic getaway, run screaming for the hills. And if you want even the slightest bit of creature comfort or even cleanliness, I suggest you consider other options.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
20  Thank Jonnakay