“30 years of bliss”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
West Palm Beach
“30 years of bliss”
Reviewed 18 August 2007

This classic Florida family hotel became our favorite retreat 30 years ago when we spent several days of our honeymoon there. We've returned several times, most recently for an anniversary weekend, and have never been disappointed. This is essential Florida living, not a generic "resort", but with all the essentials for a relaxing vacation. The pool is surrounded by lush vegetation for a private feel; the wide, white, shell-packed beach is only steps away; and shopping and restaurants are a just a short drive. Our room with balcony included a spotless bath (thankfully updated since our 1977 honeymoon!), a full kitchen and king size pillow-top bed. The cottages with screen porches would be great for families who need a little more space. Venisha and staff offered a great personal feel to the routine check in at the front desk (thanks again for the champagne!). We are looking forward to our next stay!

• Liked — Access to beach; comfort and value of room
  • Disliked — If I had to pick something, AC could be quieter (not a big problem)
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank topofeiffel

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
swflorida
Reviewed 2 August 2007

The Waterside Inn is the perfect get-away for people who need only each other, the sun, and the beach. That said, you won’t find an arcade in the lobby or waterslides, nor will anyone bring you a drink at the pool. What you will find is the best value on Sanibel Island: a basic, clean room or pretty cottage (most with full kitchens), and two intimate pools - all located on a perfect stretch of beach. The owners/managers do a great job of taking care of their property; much in contrast to some other owners of small inns on the island who seem to pocket all the rental money and barely up-keep their units (More than 20 year old furniture is not the exception, but the rule at some of them - beware!).
The Waterslide Inn is also in biking distance to shopping, the wildlife refuge and great restaurants. I wish we could have stayed longer and we will definitely be back!

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — efficiency kitchenette could be better equipped
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank swfloridagirlz
jeannie10007
Reviewed 3 July 2007

My husband and I were married right on the beach (by Waterside staff), and stayed in the honeymoon cottage. We loved it! The overall atmosphere was great, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the jacuzzi in the room was awesome. It was just what we were looking for! I can't think of a single bad thing to say, and I highly recommend!!

• Liked — Location and ambience
  • Disliked — It was all great
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jeannie10007
Central Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2007

We just got back from 3 nights staying in the Pineapple Lodge, and it was just as nice as the first time we stayed, maybe even better. This place is not a 5 star HOTEL, it is a beach lodge. It is inexpensive for Sanibel standards, clean, in the best shelling area and the staff was wonderful. The pool temp was great, and for those who complain about the pool being small, you have a whole gulf, go swim in that. This trip was special to us and the staff there made it very special on arrival. Champagne was awaiting in our room. We only hope that next year we can return again.

• Liked — it is quiet,,keep it that way
  • Disliked — can't think of anything I don't like
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank GodImTired
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 May 2007

I'm not sure why this gets such a great rating..... My friend and I stayed 3 nights, May 24-27, 2007 in Pineapple Lodge. It's pleasant -- the efficiency room was larger than the usual hotel room. The bath would have been nicer for roommates if the sinks had been separate from the bath and toilet. The kitchen supplies were barely adequate. The sunset reception is ONLY in the winter. The staff were not friendly nor helpful. I was told an incorrect time that Ding Darling opened. If you sit in the line of lounge chairs you face the beach AND a sign stating there's a $50 fine for taking chairs to the beach. The grounds are pretty; the condo pool larger and quieter than the pool next to the office. We didn't spend much time on the balcony because of the AC noise plus could barely see the water/beach because of vegetation between us and it.
Don't eat at Amy's Over Easy Cafe or the Normandie -- Island Cow great place for breakfast and probably everything else. If you like hand made gifts and art, go to the Island Drums at Captiva -- outstanding!

Stayed May 2007
5 Thank debracake
Jacksonville, Illionois
Reviewed 27 May 2007

I love coming to Sanibel and staying at the Waterside Inn. As a child my family visited the island every summer. Now as an adult it is absolutely my favorite and most reslaxing vacation. I sometimes travel alone and feel completely safe at the Waterside Inn. All of the staff are friendly. Shelling (and lots of it) is wonderful. I can't tell you how many shells I have found over the years and I am still drawn to get more. By the second day I have the "Sanibel Stoop." Only good things to say. Rooms are clean considering you are always bringing in sand. I would recommend the Waterside Inn to everyone-and I have.

Stayed October 2006
3 Thank Midwestsheller
Metro Detroit
Reviewed 3 May 2007

My husband, two daughters, ages 8 and 5, and I had the opportunity for a Florida vacation. After spending time at very busy Clearwater Beach we wanted our kids to see Sanibel Island with all its shells and dolphins. With no reservation, we headed there on Monday morning and stopped at the Visitor's Center. They have a list of all the island's hotel vacancies for the night, and if you book from there...great deals. I asked the staff if they could recommend a few "affordable" beach front hotels. The Waterside Inn was our first call, and where we stayed, and it was wonderful!

The staff we met were very friendly and accomodating, our room was clean, the price was right, and the location was perfect. I will admit, there were a few things that could be improved upon. The screen to our balcony (which had a beautiful view of the ocean) had a rip in it-keeping us from keeping the slider open as we had hoped, and the bathroom needs a makeover soon. However, we all loved the small pool and it's setting, and we shared it temporarily with only one other person, the proximity of the beach, where there were very few people-a welcome sight after the business of Clearwater Beach. I'm looking forward to staying again in the future, and definitely for more than just one night!

• Liked — Being able to afford a beach front hotel in such a beautifu area.
  • Disliked — The rip in our screen door, couldn't keep the slider open in the evening-for fear of bugs.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#8 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Waterside Inn on the Beach? Share your experiences!