“Sign us up again!”

Sanibel Sea School Day Program
More attraction details
Owner description: Sanibel Sea School is dedicated to vibrantly teaching children and adults about marine ecosystems. We use barrier island habitats of Sanibel and Captiva to give our students an opportunity to touch, feel, and understand their surroundings.Thanks to the nature of field education, we provide a rich ocean experience that will invigorate students for a lifetime of appreciation and responsibility.We offer transformative education. It's more than an experience--it changes the way we live.
Florida
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Sign us up again!”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My two children (ages 4 and 6) just finished a week at Sanibel Sea School (Sx3) and had the time of their lives! They explored on the beaches every morning, went on scavenger hunts, had picnic lunches and a cookout, went snorkeling, did an ocean art project, played fun games and went surfing everyday! (I must admit that I was quite jealous every morning after drop off though.)

The counselors were incredible; warm and welcoming. My children took to them immediately and I appreciated their friendliness as it eased the kids into feeling comfortable and trying new things. They were extremely encouraging with lots of high-fives and always knew the kids by name.

They focused on one particular sea creature during the week and when asked what all she was learning, my six year old told us "nothing" yet throughout the week spatted off all kinds of new sea facts and information. I told her that I thought she DID learn a lot and she said "That wasn't learning. That was just fun!" I love that she didn't even realize that she was getting an ocean education!

I was concerned at first about having my 4 year old in the ocean but quickly got over it when I saw the counselor/child ratio. He actually teared up on the last day because he didn't want it to be over.

In all, I would highly recommend Sanibel Sea School. We plan on returning as often as we can!

Visited June 2013

Sanibel Island, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Awesome...Don't miss this!”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

After telling my family that the only thing I wanted for my birthday was a day with the whole family (that wasn't Christmas), we decided on Sanibel Sea School, and I couldn't have made
a better choice. Working with ages 4 - 71, Dr. Bruce tailored a day for us that was perfect. We found and travelled with both dolphin and manatee, learning all about them along the way. We went shelling on a sandbar and learned all about finding sand dollars, and the seasonal cycles of the ocean. Later on Bruce took us through the mangroves, sharing his knowledge the whole time. Along with his lovely assistants, the day was both fun and educational...like having your very favorite all-time teacher all to yourself. I understand that there are many different ways to experience Sea School for all ages and I am sure they are all great, but for my whole family this was an unforgettable perfect day!

Visited May 2013
Chicago
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My son, 6, went to two afternoons of sea school and loved both of them... the first was about sea urchins, sea stars and sand dollars and the other was squids and octopuses (I thought it was octopi but apparently you can say both). They learned about the animals and went to the beach to look for them and let free some of the creatures from the tanks - as well as catch more for the school. They also did an art project related to the creatures - eg - they painted with squid ink! He learned so much and still rattles off interesting facts. Such a unique opportunity... we will be back.

Visited April 2013
Bruce N, Executive Director at Sanibel Sea School Day Program, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Anne,

I am so glad that your kids had a greta time learning about the ocean and cephalopods. We really enjoyed having them and hope to see them again in the future. Isn't there just something great about writing in squid ink? Thanks for your input.

Best,

Bruce
Atlanta, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A great (and fun) opportunity to learn about the local environment”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We were new to Sanibel Island this April and my daughters (ages 8 and 7) were excited about trying out the Sanibel Sea School program. The program is broken up into 2 classes a day 9 - 12 and 1 - 4. You can choose to one or both. Class topics include Pirates, Mangroves, Surf and many more. We sent the girls with bug spray, sunblock, a hat and a water bottle (not a disposable one..they only allow reusable versions.) The girls spent time with other kids ranging in age from 5 - 12 with hands-on experiences, crafts and games. We had signed up for two half-days and my daughters wanted to attend more but we didn't have the time. I would highly recommend the sea school. Oh and if you don't have a rash guard shirt for your child, they have them cheaper than many places on the island.

Germany
“Lot of fun for kids”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We enrolled both kids for two afternoon classes. Theay absolutely loved it. The topics, the teachers, the location on Sanibel ... everything was perfect! And my husband and me got three hours to go for coffee, shopping or spend time the beach. Great experience for all of us!