“Either good or bad”

Tarpoons Private Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Fishing charters for Sanibel Island with Captain Greg Hood. Fishing the back bays of Sanibel Island and Captiva island for Tarpon, Sharks, Redfish, Trout and more.
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My family scheduled a half day of fishing with Capt Hood. But 2 hours prior he called and reported that due to a recent cold swing the fish were not biting and that a fog was rolling in that apparently he felt would last the afternoon. So he wanted to alert us that we had a low probability of catching fish. Based on his recommendations we cancelled. So appreciated his honesty but regretted the missed adventure. We will try again in 2014

2  Thank GregL736
Greg H, Owner at Tarpoons Private Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2013

Greg,
I hope to see you in 2014 with better fishing conditions.
The water temperature for your day was very cold and foggy too. Although later the fog lifted.
I believe honesty is the best policy! It was a good day for boating, but not for fishing.
We also had a poor tide that day. I chose to tell you the truth before you spent your money and make the decision together. I do this with all my clients. When booking any fishing adventure I think it's a good idea to be flexible to the weather. One day may be better than another. I move clients around for the best possible fishing adventures. I want to make sure your catching fish and having fun. Hope to see you next year contact me anytime. Regards,
Captain Greg Hood

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I returned to Sanibel for more great fishing. Captain Greg Hood showed me another great day on the water. Got the limit on grouper the last day of season. If you never fished grouper in the pass your missing a thrill like no other.

3  Thank webvillagers
Reviewed 10 February 2012

A friend and I went fishing with Captain Greg Hood of Tarpoons off of Sanibel Island, FL this past week and we were not disappointed! I have been fishing all my life and had the privilege of taking many charters worldwide, but I must say this was one of the best experiences I've had with a guide.

When booking our trip the Captain was very communicative, letting me know pick up times and what we could expect out of the day, from fishing to weather. Once picked up he gave us a thorough overview of his plan for the day. This was nice because we knew how the day would progress, but it also showed that Captain Greg cared about our trip and had put a lot of thought into his approach.

We first caught ladyfish to be used for bait and I lost a few at the boat. Some captains would be upset about this... Capt. Greg remained a positive cheerleader, cracking jokes and keeping the mood light.

We then went on to fish for some oversized redfish. As we approached the fishing location Capt. Greg explained each move he was making and what we would do to stalk the fish, answering all questions I had about his tactics. In no time at all we were hooked up!!! We got into a school of 30-35 inch bull redfish that put up quite a fight. Again, I lost a few fish... and again, Capt. Greg was the constant professional, smiling, cracking jokes and dropping pointers in a non-obtrusive way.

After wearing out the bull reds for several hours Capt. Greg asked if we wanted to try something different. We moved on to shallow water flats using artificial lures to attract redfish and trout. I am a live bait fisherman with less experience using artificial baits. Capt. Greg said he'd make me a believer in artificials by the end of the day and he was right! We caught several slot redfish and huge gator trout... all perfect for the dinner table. While fishing with the artificials Capt. Greg was a constant jovial cheerleader and teacher, making the experience not only fun, but also very educational.

After boating a plethora of fish it was time to head in. Capt. Greg filleted our keepers (perfectly) and sent us on our way with smiles. Thank you Capt. Greg Hood and Tarpoons for a wonderful Sanibel Island fishing experience!!!

4  Thank Fishingflats
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have been coming to Sanibel for three years now to fish. I hooked up with Capt Greg Hood three years ago and haven't regretted it for one moment. We're always on fish and he gets as excited as I do about the catch. He always seems to know the fish and how to locate them. It's always an enjoyable time on the water with Capt Greg.

1  Thank SamRoper480
Reviewed 4 January 2012

One of the most knowledgables guides in the area. Knows all the great honey holes for the big REDS. Have done Tarpoon fishing with him in seasons and had a memory of a lifetime. !!

2  Thank webvillagers