“Excellent location on the beach! Great Shelling right outside your door.”
Review of Island Inn

Island Inn
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Originally our Sanibel plans had us staying at another location for this Florida trip. I needed to cancel our May reservations elsewhere because my dad passed away. While I was looking to re-book, I found information on Island Inn and I am SOOO glad that we decided to try it. I would definitely stay here again. The rooms have that perfect Florida/Island feel, and were spotless. The room we had also was equipped with small kitchenette, sink, frig, microwave. We opted to head to the Bailley's general store we found to get some groceries so we could stay on property and enjoy the great deck overlooking the Gulf. Most of the other rooms had a screened in porch, and ours didn't. I would definitely suggest trying to get one of those to keep the "no-see'ms" off of you. The registration desk provides all kinds of great information when you check in - tours, property info, and a sheet on these "no-see'em" bugs. They have spray available at the front desk you can purchase. I'd suggest bringing some "Off" or other type spray. I really didn't feel like I was bitten, but when we got home, I was covered in little blisters. I thought I had shingles! I took a breath and looked up what the bites looked like, and that is what I had. Itchy!!! The free breakfast had enough food to get you started in the morning, while looking at the beautiful view. We actually found better shells on this part of the beach, than we did this time on one of our shelling cruises. The turtles were also nesting during the time we were there, so it was interested to read about that in the materials given to us by the front desk. Looking forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Try and find a room with a view facing the beach, and with a screened in porch so you can sit outsid...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and we are so glad you enjoyed your overall experience. We hope your travels home to Indiana were safe and you are able to visit the Island Inn again soon! :-)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My sisters and I spent 3 nights at this Inn. It was perfect. The room was spacious with a screened balcony and a view of the ocean. We had a small, well-equipped kitchenette. The ocean/beach was a short walk away. Which also meant that shelling was nearby. (And we found lots!) Other amenities included a pool, shuffleboard, horseshoes, and a continental breakfast. The Inn provides other amenities as well, but those were the ones we took advantage of. The service was friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this Inn on the beautiful Sanibel Island.

Room Tip: We had a room with an oceanview.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pam M

Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for leaving a review of your experience. We are so glad you enjoyed your time on Sanibel Island with your sisters and hope you all can return to the Island Inn again soon! :-)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

A variety of accommodations to pick from, always in the process of updating. Grounds kept in pristine condition. Right on the ocean. Fabulous restaurant on the grounds. Very private but quick bike ride to shopping, attractions, and other restaurants. After staying here several times have no desire to go anywhere else.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cheryl Y

Thank you for being such a loyal guest of the Island Inn and for taking the time to share your experiences. We are honored to have you as a return guest and will look forward to your next visit soon! :-)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed early august 3 nights in the Island Inn on Sanibel, this is a lovely place, very relaxed, great rooms and beautiful surroundings. Part of the hotel is the Traditions restaurant where we had a very good dinner the first night. We regret that we did not book longer and it is therefore we come back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lex1961

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at the Island Inn. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us and we will look forward to your return! :-)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We came from some less expensive accommodations to the Island Inn on Sanibel. Although we were told the Inn was 100% booked, we never felt overwhelmed by people; on the contrary, we saw other guests but never felt crowded. Beautiful beach-front setting. Water was a bit cloudier than I expected, but then again, I'd only ever seen the Emerald Coast along Florida's panhandle and only had that "Gulf experience" to compare to this. The only other caution I would place is their claim to be the "World's greatest shelling destination". I had an expectation of finding whole, large shells while walking on the beach. Searched both high and low tides during our two day stay there, but never really found any big or super unique shells......lots of 'regular - looking' shells. Like I said, just a word of caution to keep your expectations of shelling realistic. An unexpected but very pleasant surprise was the bottle of champagne we found in our room --- I'd mentioned we'd be arriving on my husband's birthday when I booked the room; never expected the front-desk receptionist to wish him a happy birthday. Then when we went to our room we found a hand-written postcard thanking us for staying at the Island Inn on his birthday and a chilled bottle of champagne in the fridge! What a wonderful surprise.

Room Tip: Matthews Lodge faces the Gulf; second floor's the way to go....Room 221 is an end room with the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to share your feedback. We are so glad the Inn's low density location, accommodations, amenities and guest services were the perfect backdrop to your husbands birthday celebration. We hope you are able to return soon! :-)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I just returned from an overnight stay at the island Inn: the only mistake that my friend and I made was only staying one night. We'll rectify that error next year--because we're going back. That's definite. This place is a find: we thought it sounded good online, but had never stayed here before and didn't really know what we'd actually find. We walked into genuine old Florida charm....Funnily enough, before we drove up, we were discussing how we disliked the new McMansions on Captiva and how much we preferred the old Florida Key West/Caribbean style cottages and bungalows. Therefore, when we opened the door to room 213, we almost fell over: our room was exactly that preference. Simple, pristine (I complimented one of the housekeeping staff on the preparation of the room), everything we needed. Plus a screened porch with table and chairs, with a view of the grounds (beautiful barrier island beach landscaping, heavy on native plants), the pool, and the Gulf. That's where we ate our dinner, prepared ourselves in the well equipped, well designed, and spotless kitchen--watching the sunset and the half moon at twilight. The staff was amazing: friendly and professional, explaining everything in clear detail, as well as offering suggestions (like going to Bailey's for our dinner supplies and getting a free reusable shopping bag by showing the Island Inn card--we also used that at Pinocchio's Italian Ice Cream: nice to get a few little perks!). The woman in charge of the breakfast was utterly sweet: she kept the breakfast area not only neat, but attractive in the layout, and everything was replenished instantly. What a lovely, bright personality to interact with, first thing in the morning. The included free breakfast itself is very simple, but quite good--about the only complaint I could possibly make about this Inn is that the only flavors of yogurt were plain and strawberry-banana yogurt....not exactly a condemnation, just a matter of personal preference. The puff pastry with the nuts and the honey filling, like a baklava variation, isn't to be missed. Let's see--what else? I love the line up of various chairs that can be taken to the beach: that may embody the whole sense of the casual old Florida style of the place--choose a chair, take it to the beach, use it, and bring it back to where you found it. The beach is Sanibel--plenty of shelling, shallow waters: wonderful. Back in the room....The bathroom is spacious; plentiful and very nice toiletries. The bed was comfortable--and the white coverlet and sheets were sparkling, crisp white....very tropical, against the soothing green of the wall color. Lots of other guests were at the Inn, as we discovered at breakfast; however, the place was quiet and restful. we noted how diverse the guests were--although heavy on families with very young children. That is NOT a negative: it gives a great idea of how relaxing and easy going this place is; it's obviously really family friendly. We were not happy to leave, but we'll be back. The Island Inn is the real deal, if you're looking for the genuine taste of natural, old Florida.

Room Tip: I loved having the full kitchen in order to prepare my own food--but, even if you chose the room wit...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Joyce B

Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for writing such a thorough account of your experience. We are so glad that you fully enjoyed your time with us and we will look forward to your return soon! :-)

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This may be my new favorite place on Sanibel. Rooms are comfortable and updated. Could use more kings and more room at the pool area. Bar and restaurant are top notch. Nice quiet area away from the traffic of Periwinkle but close to evetything.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Nvizble
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to share your experience. We are so glad you enjoyed your time at the Inn and that you have found your new Sanibel Island home! We hope your travels home were safe and you are able to return to the Island Inn and Sanibel Island again soon! :-)