“Lived up to it's Reputation!”

Sanibel Cottages Resort
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Lived up to it's Reputation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

On March 31, 2012 we drove from Key West, Florida to the Sanibel Cottages in Sanibel Island, Florida, to find this resort to be wonderful! When we checked into our room, it was clean, smelled great, and was more than we expected. Our unit was #110 which had a direct view of the Gulf of Mexico which was stunning, and the 2 bedroom 2 bath unit was spacious and very up to date as far as the fixtures and furniture. Overall this resort made us feel welcome and 'at home. The atmosphere of the resort was very inviting, warm feeling, and comfortable. What was really amazing was that we went during Spring break time and yet the resort was not crowded with too many people. There were kids of all ages enjoying the various amenities of the resort which only added to the charm. It is definitely a place we will come back to, and will recommend it to everyone we know. Thanks Sanibel Cottages for providing us such a great place to stay for our 2nd week of vacation in Florida!

Room Tip: I believe every room will have a great view of the ocean. But #110 had a direct view!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
15 Thank ExplorerScott

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at the cottages during spring break. It was very quiet and peaceful. The beach and pool were both very nice and clean. We stayed on the top floor so it was a haul to carry our luggage and groceries up the stairs. Consider this if you have elderly or handicap persons in your party. Also the floors are not soundproof so I am sure the people under us could hear us. I would not want to be on the bottom floor. The cottage was spacious and beautiful and the screened in porch was a delight. Enjoyed morning coffee and evening cocktails everyday bug free with a wonderful gulf view.

Room Tip: No elevators. Lots of stairs to the top unit and the floors are not soundproof, so the bottom units...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank nursedocstl4
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Recently, I contacted Martha at Sanibel Cottages to inquire about any vacancies for the last week of March. I received a return call the following Monday and was advised there were no vacancies and a waiting list was being compiled. As I was talking and telling Martha of my interest, she rudely hung up. I was speechless, I mean, I understand you're full, however, a little politeness would go a long way. I immediately called back and was put on hold, apparently, another person called during my conversation, perhaps more important. When Martha came back to the phone, there were no apologies, nothing, just a reply that it's basically hopeless so no need to bother with the wait list. If this is an indication of the 'service' level before your trip, buyer beware as I would never consider booking one of the owner condo timeshares. Perhaps some of the condo owners take notice as she is representing you and trust me, there are many beautiful places to stay on Sanibel (Casa Ybel, Jensen's, etc). And, they really need to update their website, what a disaster, the forum is of no use whatsoever and provides no value to visitors. So . . . no, I definitely would not recommend Sanibel Cottages, it's a nice place but with this level of service and uncaring attitude, why bother when there are no many other wonderful venues!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
44 Thank RandallE395
Shoreham, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

We have come here for 25 years. A beautiful 2 bedroom unit, all units face the gulf. Easy walk (about a minute) to the Gulf. Units are fabulous. Three weeks of heaven for us. Office staff and grounds crew are all really nice people! Breakfast overlooking the water every morning. A quiet getaway. Near tons of excellent restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank stagsknights
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

This resort is beautiful. It is quiet and the beach is lovely. Another review mentions that you won't have to contact management because the units are well equipped. This is true and it is a good thing. As I left I realized I need an address for a location. I had already locked the unit and was turning in the keys at the office. I asked if the desk agent could please look up an address for me. The response I received was a deadpan, "No." No explanation or apology, just, "No."
I left with a bad feeling about the resort due to this.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
30 Thank jujubGeorgia
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

We stayed the first week of August and it was beautiful. The were no signs of any oil, and the sandy shell covered beaches, and warm Gulf waters were extremely relaxing for our family. The Cottages were very comfortable and spacious. Hoping to come back next year!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank OSprey92
Hopewell Junction, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2009

We just cam e back from our first visit to Sanibel Cottages. We adore it there! It has gulf views that are beautiful. We like the fact that it isn't a large resort. It was not crowded at the pool or the beach. For a change we didn't have a beach trip where you have to get up at 7AM to reserve a pool or beach chair. You are given 2 chairs with your room. We rented a beach umbrella from the office for $5 for the week. The rooms are spotless and updated for comfort and attractiveness. The location is convenient to everything on Sanibel. We will for sure return to this lovely resort!

• Liked — We loved the location and quality of the resort the best.
  • Disliked — There's no elevator so it is difficult to get luggage up to the second level.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank christeach2