I reserved a week at this "motel or as I call it a trailer joint" because I have stayed in better motels than this. As soon as I got there, noticed the smell of mildew inside the room. The carpet was old and the place looked very run down. The comforter or bed cover smelled and had stains which the staff came and replaced as soon as I informed them. Then I noticed the shower was dirty and the curtain too. They came, cleaned it and changed the curtain. I went to sleep that night exhausted from the trip and next day, first thing I noticed was a dead roach next to the night stand. Then a few minutes later another one next to the TV. I called the front desk and they came to clean it. The front desk clerk said they were not roaches, they were "palmetto bugs", like that is suppose to give it more class? Palmetto bugs are roaches!!! The next morning another roach appeared close to the kitchen in the process of dying. The manager sent her husband to look for opened holes in the trailer and figure out how they were appearing. The toilet got clogged, which is the first time I have experience that in 40 years, they came to unclogged it. The third night another roach again appeared dead. It was a nightmare, by now, I couldn't hardly sleep. I was very upset so they decided to switch me to their "better hotel", which was a few blocks away. The place was nicer but unfortunately that same night I found another roach, which probably flew inside, because it was in the curtain and started flying around the room. I was able to kill it and after I finally took a shower and was dying to fall asleep I noticed the bed had bugs jumping in it. Needless to say, I spent the whole night awake, packing my things, sitting in a chair watching the bugs jumping around in the bed. I did catch some of them and early in the morning went to the front desk to show them the bugs. Checked out and went to another hotel in the area, for just a little more money but a whole lot better quality, no roaches or fleas in the bed.
I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our inn borders the Sanibel river for our guests who love to fish or kayak. We are located directly on the bike path and are close to shopping, restaurants and attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Kona Kai Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kona Kai Hotel Sanibel Island
- Kona Kai Sanibel Island
- Kona Kai Motel Sanibel Island, Florida