Kona Kai Motel
Casa Ybel Resort(Sanibel Island)
US$354
Official Site
West Wind Inn(Sanibel Island)
US$250
US$212
Seaside Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$269
Seaside Inn
Anchor Inn & Cottages(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$170
US$154
Hotels.com
Song of the Sea(Sanibel Island)
US$363
US$270
US$246
Travelocity
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$199
Official Site
Island Inn(Sanibel Island)
TripAdvisor
Seahorse Cottages(Sanibel Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Parrot Nest(Sanibel Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssanibel rivertropical plantsno daily maid servicebike racksfellow guestsconvenience storea great place to staylarge poolbeach towelstwo queen bedsroom was spotlessfridge and microwaveextra towelscleaning stationcoffee makerrestaurants and shopsliving room
FilterAll languages
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 June 2006

After looking at many accomodation options on Sanibel, I selected the Kona Kai based on its very reasonable price. It is hard to know exactly what you'll be getting when you book a room over the internet, so I just hoped for the best.

My one big thing with staying at hotels/motels is cleanliness. if it's clean, it doesn't have to be anything else. What I found was that the Kona Kai was absolutely spotless, probably the cleanest place I have ever stayed, including top notch hotels in Las Vegas. The bed linens were all very clean and soft and smelled like fabric softener so I know that all the linens, not just the sheets, were definitely washed between guests. The room we had also had a small kitchen area; all the appliances and furniture were brand new. It was very easy to be comfortable in the room.

The pool was never crowded and we had it to ourselves on a few occasions. Also very clean and uninstrusive, like being at home in your own pool.

Lillian at the desk is wonderful..she treats everyone like family. If you need something, you just ask. She's got it behind the desk!

We had a great stay in Sanibel and it had a lot to do with the Kona Kai. If you're looking for laid back,simple accomodations, Kona Kai is the perfect place to stay, even for the neatest of neat freaks!

• Stayed: May 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 20 June 2006

We stayed at Kona Kai in March, and selected this hotel after many hours of research on Trip Advisor. I had never searched this website before, but I am certainly glad I did! I travel frequently in my job, and stay at the high end, many room hotels throughout the country. On vacation, I want a small, non-chain hotel where I can relax and enjoy the ambiance of the place I visit. When we walked from our car to the hotel’s office, I knew we had selected the right place! The grounds were tropical, as was the interior of our bungalow. It was right off the pool; but the foliage provided shade and privacy on our patio. Though small by some standards, our room was pleasant, clean, and well appointed. The delivery of a small basket of fruit and breakfast breads added a nice touch. There was a refrigerator in the room, which was great for our wine and cheese, and midnight snacks from our great restaurant leftovers! Although there is no daily maid service, fresh towels were always available from the office. Parking was a few feet from our doorstep, and we were able to keep the bikes we rented from the hotel right off our patio. The central location made it possible to walk or bicycle to any type of cuisine you cared to enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

We learned our way around the island with the guidance of Dennis and Jeanne, the owners of the hotel. I used the word “owners” hesitantly, as they were certainly more hosts than owners. After really listening to the kind of vacation we wanted to experience, they helped us with restaurant selections, places to visit on the bikes we rented at the hotel, and the best places to see the sunset. I had not been on a bicycle since college (more than 30 years ago), and it took me about one minute to get my “bike legs” back. Of course, it helps that the island is flat, and there are bike paths everywhere! We took the afternoon shelling tour that Koni Kai offers, and it was by far the highlight of our trip. Being from California, we don’t have the shells that we encountered here. My husband is an avid amateur photographer, and some of his best shots ever were taken on this excursion. My only disappointment was that we waited too long to sign up for the sunset cruise!

If you are looking for a place to really “feel” Sanibel, than Kona Kai is your place to stay. We most definitely will be back

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 June 2006

Where is paradise?

Dez. 2005. North Germany, frosty, snow, rain, windy…Where shall we spend our
short-vacation in February? No question, Sanibel Island, Florida. Where shall we stay? No question; KONA KAI Cottage.

That was our 3rd trip to Sanibel, and our 3rd time we spent a few days @ Kona Kai.
We were looking foorward to meet the friendly staff again, relaxing at the clean pool, weaking up with chirping birds.

There´s a small wooden “main path” in the “little Jungle”. Cottages (really clean) and pool are surrounded by Palms and ferns and are get-at-able by small wooden paths.

Chairs are in front of the cottages (all with AC). Deck-chairs at the pool and towels are free. They serve the continental breakfast in a baskets. Coffee makers are on the room. In our cottage (#12) we had a micro wave, fridge, kitchenette, table with 2 chairs.

Of course, there are a lot of nice, quiet places in this world, and we´ve seen a lot. But there´s no place like Kona Kai @ Sanbiel Island/FL.

This is paradise!!! No question, we´ll be back

Christina and Jens Holger
Jever/Germany

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank spaffairs
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 16 June 2006

This is the best place going, you walk out your door in the morning and there is nothing but
tropical plants, it reminds me of the days I lived in Kauai, the smell, and the atmosphere, and
the pool is enjoyable, the people that run the place just make you feel at home, they are the
nicest people, the girl that runs the desk will do anything to make your stay enjoyable! And
the people that own it, run it, and live there, so there are no problems, and if there are they
are taken care of imediately.
The rooms are nice, it is set up so you don't have a neighbor right next to you and you have your own area, the beds are comfortable, and the maid cleans your place whenever you want.
There are bikes in the back that you can rent for cheap and go all over the island and not have to pay for parking at the beaches, there is a BBQ next to the pool deck if you wanted to cook your own meals,
Watch out for alligators we saw 2 of them while we were there! and bring a bag to the
beach for all the shells you gather.
The hotel is right in the middle of everything, so nothing is far, and food is good,
(try the Island cow) and you have to go to chee burger chee burger!

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dayton, OH
Reviewed 15 June 2006

In a world where customer service is hard to come by, the Kona Kai staff is to be applauded. This cute, little hideaway provided a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere away from the demands of everyday life. The Kona Kai is family owned and I felt like I was a part of the family. The owners could not do enough to make my stay enjoyable. I have such fond memores and will treasure them forever.

Stayed: May 2006