“Island Paradise, A Birdwatchers Dream”
Review of West-End Paradise

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sanibel Island
West-End Paradise
Reviewed 11 May 2006

Situated in a quiet residential neighborhood, with spacious, clean comfortable rooms, tastefully decorated in nautical themes with shells everywhere, comfortable beds and modern appliances, the West-End Paradise feels more like a second vacation home than a resort destination. Screened in porches, local wildlife (birds, turtles, frogs, snakes & alligators), kind hosts, a shell washing facility, decks overlooking the on-site ponds and a short distance to the beach put this over-the-top on the rating scale.

The beach is privately owned by an association with free access via your reservation. The pure white sand buffers a wide beach with tons and tons of shells, more than you could ever hope to sort through. Did I mention the solitude? Often times, this stretch of beach, which appears to be about 3-4 miles north to south, was completely barren. I was surprised to see a group of six people a mile away at sunset one night. The water was warm and clear and dolphins are a common sight.

The island is quiet, with a slow speed limit, tons of eating establishments, gasoline, two grocery's, a multitude of bike paths, lots of souvenir shops, a few upscale clothery's, a light beacon (not a lighthouse!) with boardwalks, a few public beaches and of, course, the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge whose entrance is but a stone's throw from West-End.

I'd be surprised if the West-End Paradise isn't a huge hit with birders/photographers. On site are nesting Green, Yellow-crowned Night and Little-blue Herons, Common Moorhens, Eastern Screech Owls and visitors including White Ibis, Pileated Woodpecker and Anhinga. I caught the tail end of the warbler migration with Blackpoll, Black and White, Black-throated Blue, Cape May and Prairie Warblers, American Redstart, Ovenbird and Gray Catbird. Overhead, Magnificent Frigatebirds, Red-shouldered Hawks, Osprey and Swallow-tailed Kites rule the skies and give way to Common Nighthawks in the evening.

The beach featured Snowy, Black-bellied and Lesser Golden Plovers, Ruddy Turnstone, Least, Forster's and Royal Terns, Sanderling, Brown Pelican, Osprey, Snowy Egret and others. Ding Darling coughed up a Roseate Spoonbill, Wilson's Plover, Reddish Egrets and a host of warblers. The light beacon boardwalk and the causeway to Ft Myers are also good birding areas.

In all, a fabulous vacation, a quiet and relaxing time was had and I was able to enjoy and photograph wildlife during a family vacation. Oh, and my 4-year old loved the day Jennifer let him run through the sprinkler for over an hour!

• Stayed: May 2006
11  Thank AZCliffy

Reviewed 30 April 2006

This trip was to celebrate my husbands birthday. I read Trip Advisor to find the perfect place to stay. I found exactly what I was looking for at West End Paradise. My husband and I just returned from staying 3 nights at the inn. It is wonderful. I agree with all the reviews. It couldn't have been more perfect! Everything previous visitors have said is true. If you want glitz and glamour go someplace else. Quiet, peaceful and lovely describe the inn. The studio we had was immaculate. It is decorated nicely and includes all essential items for a pleasant stay. A short jaunt takes you to the beach.

I can't think of one negative about this place. Go and see for yourself. You won't be disappointed. Thank you Darwin and Jennifer.

Trip Advisor Guest, Westminster Maryland

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank drewslake
Reviewed 23 April 2006

My wife and I stayed at the West End Paradise for a three day weekend. When we arrived we were very pleased at the quiet, neighborhood feel to the location. Our apartment was wonderful It had it's own bathroom, bedroom, living room and kitchen with sliding doors to the porch. The inside is in great condition and is clean and well appointed. The porch looked out over a small lagoon. The water was low and murky, but that is due to the lack of rain in Florida this year. The property is lovely and quiet with small lagoons around each side of it. The beach is located less than a 5 minute walk, a 2 minute bike ride or a 30 second car ride. The owners provide bikes, towels, shelling equiptment and an umbrella in your room to bring to the beach. They also provide a parking pass for your car if you drive since it's a private beach. The beach is wonderful. Since it's private, there are no crowds. The shelling is also very good due to the fact that it is not a busy beach. The owners, Jennifer and Darwin were excellent. They came as soon as we arrived and gave us the tour and were available anytime if we needed anything. I would not stay in Sanibel anywhere else. This place is great.

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank Jeremy C
Reviewed 26 March 2006

If you want to enjoy all the natural pleasures of Sanibel without the crowds, this is the place! Clean, cute and comfy accommodations. The owners provide bikes, lawn chairs, and all the tools needed for collecting shells.
Away from the traffic and crowds, nestled on a relaxing street very close to the Ding Darling Wildlife refuge.
This is the ONLY place I would ever stay on Sannibel!

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank backyarder1
A TripAdvisor Member
Seekonk, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 March 2006

The West-End Paradise lives up to it's name. A short walk to a beautiful private beach,dolphins,
ospreys and pelicans all catching more than me with my fishing pole. The owners are very friendly and helpfull with anything needed. For relaxing this is the place.

• Stayed: February 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 February 2006

Nestled in the arms of a tree-fringed lagoon on residential street, West-End Paradise is a little haven of two one-story buildings about 1000 feet from a quiet beach where one can walk for hours. We stayed in the studio, which features two small but very nice rooms -- the bedroom with a kingsize bed, french doors leading to the garden, and another door leading to the bathroom. The other room is the living space with a couch, 2 chairs, and a kitchenette. Everything we needed was on hand and the place was clean as a whistle. There is no swimming pool but the price (and the beach) more than made up for that.
My sister and I went to the beach daily for a long walk, and again each evening about a 1/2 hour before sunset to watch the day end and read Anne Morrow Lindbergh's "Gift from the Sea" -- written on the island some 50 years ago. Each day we also hopped on the free bikes provided by the inn and peddled our way to the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge, which comprises nearly half of Sanibel Island. The refuge is home to a wonderful array of waterbirds -- roseate spoonbill, white ibis, various herons and egrets, white and brown pelicans, etc. Ospreys and turkey vultures fly overhead, and we even saw a magnificent bald eagle. One also encounters raccoons and otters.
In addition to the joys of nature, we found a wide choice of great restaurants on Sanibel as well as neighboring Captiva Island. And there is a little movie theater in town on Sanibel.
One can't speak of West-End Paradise without mentioning the proprietors, Jennifer and Darwin -- a warm and gracious duo ever ready and willing to provide help, tips for outings or dining, or a bit of friendly conversation. They are a lovely presence.
We will return!

• Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank bmcb50
A TripAdvisor Member
Berne, Indiana
Reviewed 13 December 2005

This is the third year in a row my wife and I have come back to West End Paradise for a two week vacation and we plan to come back again next year. Jennifer and Darwin are the owners and are not absentee landlords; you will likely see them every day working, cleaning, and just making sure that all your needs are met -- and they still have the time for friendly visits, tips and useful information. We love the quiet middle part of the Island where beachs are not crowded and the shelling is good. The beach is just a short walk away and the bike path is even closer. The Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge is an easy bike ride, and decent bikes are available to use.

Sanibel Island is a sane place in a hectic world and West End Paradise is the place where we choose to enjoy it.

• Stayed: December 2005