“Quaint Island Cottage - Family Friendly”
Review of Beachview Cottages

Beachview Cottages
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Chicago, Illinois
“Quaint Island Cottage - Family Friendly”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at Beachview as a child many times with my family and now it was my turn to take my family. The grounds are well maintained and clean. The property is older and things are not perfect or glitzy, but they have everything you need. It is about a nice quite place to go with your family to enjoy everything that Sanibel has to offer. The cottages are small but you really aren't spending much time inside you are generally on the beach, biking, shopping, fishing, etc. The staff was always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LVDDW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Bloomsburg
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here in January, 2014 for 3 nights. This was a last minute trip to Sanibel and FL, and I was glad to find a place like the Beachview still had a few cottages left during our trip timeframe. We LOVED the Beachview cottages and would return (and hope to do so) in a heartbeat. The place is "old style" and harkens back to a simpler kind of beach vacation, where the emphasis is the BEACH and friendliness, and not so much glitz and glamour and maybe only peeking out your window at the ocean/beach. We had unit #15, and while it probably would not have been our first choice if anything else had been available (because it is part of a triplex) we were very pleased with the cottage. It was nicely decorated, spacious enough for two, and very clean. There was a small, wall mounted, flat screen t.v. with cable which functioned well, and WiFi was available and functional. I was pleasantly surprised that they provided dish liquid, dish towels, paper towel, etc. Our cottage was not shabby at all, but before I booked it I asked when it had last been remodeled/refurbished. It also helped that our neighbors were all pretty quite; I think the Beachview attracts mostly families and retired/older clientele. I value QUIET and like my sleep, so this was a big positive to us!

The Beachview complex is very nice. The cottages parallel a stone/shell drivieway which leads to the beach. There is a parking spot allocated to each cottage. The beach is quite close, and within easy walking distance from the cottages. For those not interested in walking in the sand or uneven terrain, there is a nice pavilion right at the beach's edge (part is shaded/covered, part is open to the sun) which is quite nice. The beach out front is a shell seekers dream, and we saw some of the most GORGEOUS sunsets we have ever seen sitting on this beach in the evening, cocktail in hand, as the sky and the water lit up orange, pink and gold.

The Beachview has a nice sized pool for the size of the property and it was clean and WARM; something we would come to really appreciate during this chilly trip.

The only negatives of the place to us were:
A). There is no heater in the units. Yes, I imagine this is rarely needed, but when we visited in January, 3 successive cold fronts (with damaging frosts affecting citrus crops anticipated) passed thru; the evenings were in the 40's for 4 nights in a row & the cottage was quite cold. BRRRRRR!! So, we used the oven as a heater. The oven is electric, so no worries there, and we only used it briefly when we were in the cottage and awake.
B). There are only "2" of each type of dinnerware (cups, saucers, bowls, plates) in the cottages. I know the cottage is specified for 2 people only, but when we cooked dinner one night we did NOT have enough little plates/bowls to accommodate our meal. A few extra salad plates or bowls would be nice; a few "ramekins" or sauce bowls would be nice. (We had to use some plastic cups for melted butter). Also, a pair of shell crackers, hammer, and other implements for stone crabs/etc. would have been helpful!

These are my ONLY complaints about the place; otherwise LOVED it!!

You should also know that this is a dog friendly (actually, pet friendly) place, and many people had their 4 legged best friend with them, so if you are fearful or allergic to dogs/cats, you may not want to stay here. A few of the guests dogs were big (very well behaved, but big) and if you or your children would find that alarming, this is just a "heads up".

If we stay again, I am hoping to be lucky enough to rent unit #2 (Tiger's Eye), #3 (Coquina), #11 (Tulip) or #13 (Kings Crown). These units are not quite as expensive as the premium (and larger) units #1 & #10, but still appeared to have a nice view of the beach and more spacious than the one we rented.

Room Tip: Talk to the management about your needs, and they will assist you. Ask when a particular unit was l...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Nittfan
Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Simply, the most relaxed I have ever been. I can't say any more positives than previous reviewers. I find most of the negative reviews unfounded. The only negative I found is that most if not all the the sofa's are very old and worn, and the kitchens could have a few more items to warrant the the full sized stove and refrigerator. The cottages are clean, the staff helpful and friendly, even the other guest are great. Everyone enjoys themselves and it shows. The grounds are well groomed, you park at your door. It is very quiet and even though the cabins are close you still feel private. They recently changed from directtv to Comcast making internet usage much easier. I made an instant friend with another fellow shelling enthusiast and felt completely safe to go out at 4am lowtide in search of our treasures. And boy, did we find them!! This was a bucket list trip for me and I was not disappointed. We have re-booked for next year and plan on returning year after year as most of the guest do. The pool was a nice break from the sand and we found it clean, warm and towels available right there. A very nice feature is the electric lift so that even stair challenged guests can use the pool too. If you want to feel at home without all the stressors of life, stay at The Beachview Cottages!!!!!!

Room Tip: Cottages 1, 2, 3, 4 ,10, and 11 are wonderful for views and closest to beach. Each are fully equippe...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
San Marcos, texas
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed at these cottages in 1978. They were cool and right on the beach. They are still right on the beach but, 36 years later, not so cool. I expected the actual cottages to be the same but not the furniture and other amenities. I am sure the sofa bed I slept on was the same one (and it was not that great in 1978).

The female staff was great but the male staff was surly. For $250/night I expect more modern conveniences, but if you want Old Florida you won't find a better place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 48JohnnyM
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Go stay in Old Florida, in the time before development ran rampant. Charming cottages right on the beach. I stayed here with my parents and girlfriend for 2 nights. On Monday night there was a wine and cheese hour. We got to meet some other guests and really enjoyed it. Staff is very friendly and everyone was helpful.

We were told there was a "full kitchen," which was true in terms of appliances, but pots were rather limited. Fortunately, you could go to the office and get extras if you needed it.

Really, cannot beat the price, location and accommodation. Not only will I recommend this to all of my friends, I plan to return and stay there again.

Room Tip: Some of the cottages have ceiling fans, and some do not. Our family preferred to leave the windows o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
LaPorte, Indiana
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have been coming to Sanibel Island for several years and the past 5 years I have stayed at Beachview Cottages. The cottages are not fancy but they are clean and give you a feeling of total relaxation. The cottages are equipped with microwave, stove and TV with cable they have a screened in porch to set and have your morning coffee and watch the red headed woodpecker that has been there for the past 2 years, I have stayed in 4 different cottages and have not had 1 bad experience. All of the STAFF are just wonderful Lisa is now the manager and she makes you feel like you are a part of the Beachview family she gives you tips on where to go and what is going on during your stay. The beach is just a few steps from the cottages to shell or watch the sunset from the gazebo. They also have a wonderful pool. The BOTTOM line is I just LOVE Beachview Cottages and their staff the minute I come over the bridge to Sanibel I feel all of the Stress come off of my shoulders....

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Fran T
coolridge
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We had read excellent things about Sanibel Island and wanted to check it out. We chose to stay here because it was pet friendly and right on the beach. We loved the cottages! They are not fancy, which is perfect for us. All of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are well equipped with anything you might need. It has a more private feel than that of a hotel chain that has several rooms. The short walk to the beach was perfect for our furry family member, no streets to cross. We would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to anyone who isn't looking for fancy fixtures, just simple comfort.

Room Tip: All cottages are very exclusive. We stayed in cottage 8 and our parking was right under our room(di...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
#6 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Moorings
Sanibel Moorings
#1 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Beachview Cottages? Share your experiences!