“Great Beach Cottages”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, Florida
“Great Beach Cottages”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Steps from the beach, the cottages are very clean, spacious and comfortable. Very convenient to stores, restaurants and sites. Nice pool area and great for afternoon swim. Beautiful sunsets steps away. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2014
Rick B, Manager at Castaways Cottages of Sanibel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is pleasing to hear you found the cottages very clean, spacious and comfortable. We look forward to your return stay with us

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The cottages on the beach side are cute and do- able. For a night or two it works for us. Great that it is Pet Friendly with 2 Labs that is a plus. Those of you who must travel with their furry friends due to health issues/any issues understand how super it is to have a place that accepts pets. We have stayed on both sides - Ocean and Bay. Of coarse, we prefer Ocean and will pay the extra - just really super convenient. Bay side works and is quieter/peaceful. The road is a concern but the payoff - steps to the beach is... Sweet-n-Fun!
The sister hotel 'Tween Waters Inn" I found more updated then Castaways - however they seem to be chipping away at Castaways and will get full renovations down the road. We would come back here again for a short visit. Longer visit - for sure - 'Tween Waters Inn. No stoplights, no streetlights and no skyscrapers - that's warm Captiva ~ Sanibel style. Works for us~

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased that you and your two Labs enjoyed your stay with us, We look forward to seeing you again in the near future
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Within 10 minutes of arriving at this hotel I was ready to give it a one star rating and recommend no one to ever visit. A short 10 minutes later and the hotel staff calmly and collectively handled the situation perfectly.

So I booked two nights for July 4th weekend on the website for this hotel (which I know now is almost just a tool to contact the hotel and not actually officially the hotel) only after booking did I notice there was a small sentence on the bottom of the website that stated 3 night minimum on holiday weekends which worried me because I just easily booked two nights on the website without any restrictions or notices about the 3 night minimum and received two separate confirmations. A friend had also booked only two nights so I was not too worried. I called anyway and the staff confirmed me that I had to stay three nights and could not stay two. I asked what would happen if I didn't just call, how would I have known if I just got my confirmations? To which the gentleman responded you will be receiving an email shortly. I waited two months and never got and email. My friend had also called later to check if everything was okay with his reservation and no 3 night minimum was ever mentioned.

So we get to the hotel and my friend and his wife check in without a problem. Then I step up to the plate and find out they have no reservation under my name. I also am told they are completely booked up and immediately start to think the worst. Another coworker then comes out to help, which I believe is the gentleman I spoke to over the phone and confirms on his computer under my name a note that says something to the sorts of spoke with customer about 3 night minimum. I showed them the two different booked room confirmation print outs and emails I received and asked how is it that they canceled my booking without ever informing the customer. I also asked for an explanation of why the party before me just checked in for two nights and basically how are we moving forward from this point. The staff then asked me to wait a moment and went in the back. They return a short while later stating that there is a room available and can offer it to me for an even better rate. From that moment on this was one of my favorite hotels I've ever stayed at. The staff was extremely kind 100% of the time and walked me to what I found out was a better unit then the originally booked room AND at the better rate. The area is kind of secluded and requires a few mile drive for some things (cigarettes), but truthfully has everything within a football field. Flamingo bar where we watched some World Cup games. Mad hatters looked like a very nice slightly up scale restaurant that we never went to. A general store that you will end up visiting multiple times a day that has pretty much everything you need to survive. But only from 9-9. Now to the hotel. We had a small one bed unit on the beach side. Our friends had a larger two bedroom two bathroom with a living room and screened in patio unit on the bay side a 20 second walk away which was great. Beach, bay, fishing, bike rentals within 1 minute or less walk pretty much. It felt really cool to live the beach bum life for like 2-3 days. No shirt on ever. Board shorts 24/7, sandals and a drink in hand walking from the bar to the unit to the general store to the beach to the bay or to the pool to try and find where our next batch of fun is starting. I would easily recommend this place to anyone traveling with a group of friends/family/or couple that can have a good time together and are not trying to go to late night bars and discotechs for dancing at night. I look forward to my next trip back to this hotel and book a different unit. They have all types of units in all different locations with their own unique advantages. Also every unit has cleaned grill outside.

Thank you castaways beach and bay cottages staff for a wonderful experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank GiftedWhenLifted
Rick B, Manager at Castaways Cottages of Sanibel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your great review and describing the Castaways as one of your favorite hotels you have ever stayed at. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Leesburg, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Awesome location for both fishing & beach swimming/shelling. Great staff ! Very accommodating. We stayed in a cottage by the marina( very spacious) 2 bedroom. Next time we will stay in a bay cottage with a private dock and bring food for grilling ( area restaurants are pricey ). This area is definitely a nature lovers paradise ! We will be back !

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are small but very nice.
Green Features: Family dog is a welcome guest if complies with their pet rules.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Patti K
Rick B, Manager at Castaways Cottages of Sanibel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your great review titled “Vintage Florida at it's Best” I am glad you found
the staff great and very accommodating. I am also very pleased to hear you have a desire to stay with us again, in a bay cottage with a private dock.
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at the Castaways for a long weekend. We had last been there 15 years ago. The beach was amazing and we fished all weekend. We stayed in a cottage over on the marina side. It was very clean and had a great screened porch. It is not a resort but a great family vacation place. There are kayak rentals there and boat rentals down at Tween Waters (their sister resort). It is truly an old Florida style place with restaurants within walking distance. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. We loved it and will be back very soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank khbigred
Thank you for your review of our property, and welcome back after your 15 year break! I am pleased to hear you found the beach amazing and you spent the weekend fishing and our staff were friendly and helpful. We look forward to having you visit us again in the near future.
Winter Haven, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a great location for fishing at Blinds Pass and shelling on either side of the pass. The prices are good for the Sanibel area. It is a quick, easy walk to either side of the pass, maybe 3-4 minutes. If you are looking for a resort, which we were not, don't stay here, it's not a resort and is not priced like one. It felt much more private and less busy than a resort. although I believe it was fully occupied. It is great for us and this was not our first stay and wont be the last. They do not provide daily cleaning, which is fine with me. They provide a broom and dust pan so I do not understand the reviews complaining about sand...I assume most people know what the beach is (sand) and know how to sweep (its inevitable that sand will be brought in, that's why they provide a broom). We stayed in unit #33, it was upstairs and had great views of the bay with a decent size kitchen, master bedroom with walk in closet (which was really convenient) and a really neat little "extra room" with a daybed and curtain divider providing a little privacy and great views of the bay. We were not bothered by the early morning noise of the marina as some have mentioned...and we were directly above it. The only complaint I really have was that they no longer rent cottage #10 out. My husband and I looked at it last year and made plans to come at least once a month this summer and stay there but due to complaints about the "small size", they quit renting it out...which means we won't get our little mini vacations that I was looking forward to. The site stated that it was a very small unit so that is what you would expect, I don't know why some people had to complain and ruin it for the rest of us...thanks a lot. We found the size of unit #10 to be quite adequate for 2 people, bigger than the common motel room and about the same price so I don't know what they had to complain about, you just can't please some people! Please consider renting out unit #10 again!

Room Tip: Unit #33 has good views of the little bay and nice privacy as it is upstairs. Also the little "...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shurst92
Rick B, Manager at Castaways Cottages of Sanibel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your 5 star review of our property. I am pleased to hear that although we were full, you still felt it was quiet and private. You have described our property in great detail, and I feel this will help others decide if we are right for them or not.
We look forward to your next visit.

Rick Boyd
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Looking for a cozy little place walking distance to the beach and bay and found just that in the Castaways Beach & Bay Cottages. Not one of those fancy resorts but a wonderful experience. The staff is friendly and the cottages are clean. # 28 was recently remodeled with a perfect view of the bay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanibel Island
South Seas Island Resort
South Seas Island Resort
#2 of 4 in Captiva Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,256 reviews

Been to Castaways Cottages of Sanibel? Share your experiences!