“Could it get any better???”

Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 July 2009

We LOVED this place! I was being incredibly picky on this trip - I wanted a place directly on the beach, not a block away or across the road and I wanted a kitchen (I don't know why - we never cooked). We found this on the internet and I had to stay here. Staff was sooo friendly and worked with me when we decided to stay an extra night at the last minute-asked if we could move to the house next to ours because ours was already booked but ended up we didn't have to. Staff was very helpful and answered several questions about the area. I had a problem with the hair dryer the first night about 11 p.m. and the guy brought me a brand new one over right then. The pool was great. The place was quiet and the beach was perfect. We loved our little porch and the shells that previous guests left behind in the plants by the steps. Stayed in one of the duplexes and couldn't hear a thing from our neighbors the entire time. Rooms were clean and kitchen was well supplied if we had decided to cook. My only complaint was we only had one sofa and one uncomfortable living room chair. Not that we spent much time inside but the three of us sat down to watch a movie one night and we ended up with two of us laying on the floor, which was not comfy. Also, would have been nice to have a tv in at least one bedroom - not a big deal though. Perfect location, close to Captiva and the beach was pretty quiet all the time. There are a couple restaurants close enough that you could walk to. We would have liked a more relaxed restaurant close by though , other than the Pink Flamingo (which was good but we were there almost every day).

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mhowerton

Reviewed 14 July 2009

We arrived at castaways resort to a warm welcome, the sun shining, flora fauna was tropicaly sensational. The friendly management and staff could'nt do enough to make our daughters wedding ,our family occupied an assortment of different cottages both on the beachfront, poolside and the back bay. Such diversity of accomodation ,pleased everyone (perfect ). Thank you castaways for the best time of our lives.

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank dellyboy
Reviewed 2 July 2009

This was my 4th stay at the Castaways. We have stayed in the bay cottages and in the beach cottages. We love the beach cottages, we always request #1, I think it is the biggest one. We stayed with friends as well. I read other reviews people have left, and I am surprised with some of the neg. ones. We have never experienced anything bad there, maybe just some rain showers. This is what to expect:
The beach, fishing, swimming, and shopping, and some sand in your room. The cottages are "older", but if you wanted 5 star, you wouldnt be staying in a cottage. If you like relaxing, the outdoors, and beautiful sunsets you will LOVE this place.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taters2379
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Just returned from cottage #11 at Castaways. Furnishings are sub-garage sale, the bedding should just be thrown out. We had brown excrement on our toilet, a half eaten cake in our refrig, no light bulb in our lamp , a valance ripped off the wall, and hundreds of flying ants .

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sayanna
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Our family just got back from a week at The Castaways. We had a wedding and family reunion there. Our family took up about 10 of their units so I saw inside all of them and they were all great! The wedding they had on the beach was so beautiful and the bride and groom looked amazing during the ceremony with a tropically-decorated arch as the sun set behind them!! My son caught his first fish on the dock at the marina. Both of my boys went on their first canoe ride in the little bay area behind the marina. The beach is beautiful and full of shells. Our room was great. We stayed in unit 32, which had 2 bedrooms and a great full-sized kitchen and dining area too. We walked to the Sunset Grille for breakfast and then over to the Lazy Flamingo for dinners. The staff was really great and did whatever they could to help us out - even showing us how to get a shrimp on the fishing rod for my 5-year-old! Just a fantastic place and we can't wait to go back. Our entire extended family was just raving about the place!!! There's not much of a nightlife around there, but we did go to 'Tween Waters Inn for the crab races, which was a blast. We're not really night-life people, but if you are into that, I'm not sure Sanibel Island is the right place. We brought our little dog too, which was great (and the kids loved having her on vacation with us!!) It was just a clean, fun, neat place and we'll be going back this summer once school is out for a long weekend.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank travelsinFLwithkids
Reviewed 5 May 2009

First of all, I read the reviews listed and saw the one that rated the resort by the sand fleas... They are No-See-Ums and on every beach in Florida when there is no breeze.

The other comment about the palmetto bug (roach) in the room. In Florida there is always a chance to get them on rare occations. I found the resort very clean and Florida bug free.

The truth is that the resort is well maintained and well managed. Great staff and great place to stay. The beach is great and a fun place to visit. I brought my dog with me and paid a nominal pet fee. The rooms are not perfect like a Hyatt, but they are old Florida style rooms that are very clean and fun to stay in. They even have kitchens to save money while vacationing.

Worth staying in and visiting. Sanibel is a great place to vacation. Shop before coming on the Island though...

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank baillan
Reviewed 23 April 2009

We rented 3 cottages at the Castaways on Sanibel for a "girls" trip. Having never stayed there before, we were pleasantly suprised at how charming and well equipped all of the units were. The bedrooms are large, loved the screened in porches, and the walk to the beach is a short one regardless of your cottage location. The employees were very helpful during the rental process, during our stay and they even helped us out with some Scavenger Hunt items!
This is the "Old Florida" casual, personal experience that many travelers search for and will never find at a large resort. If you come, keep in mind that the cottages are vintage, so savor the imperfections because that is what makes this place so special.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Castaways Cottages of Sanibel? Share your experiences!