“If you are bringing pets - this is the place...”
Review of Beach Road Villas

Beach Road Villas
Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

Absolutely wonderful..... Well appointed, clean 2 story condo, close to everything, and reasonably priced.... AND DOG FRIENDLY - even if they don't fit in a purse.

Now, this is not the RITZ. It's more like "your house went on vaca with you."

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank LadySomers

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We just came home from Sanibel Island's Beach Road Villas. I would definitely book the same accommodations again with no hesitations. I agree with many of the reviewers comments. The size of the villa and the cleanliness and value, cannot be beat! They even welcomed our 3 four legged friends!
The upstairs bathroom does need to be updated and I do agree that the upstairs air conditioner vents need to be redirected for better air movement. Downstairs was very cool and quite comfortable. The master bedroom was HUGE!!! I was amazed how large the bedrooms were. The furniture is typical Island wicker that was once very popular in the early 80's. However, couch and chairs were very comfy and clean.
The kitchen had a small stacking washer and dryer, a full sized refrigerator and everything you might need to cook home cooked meals. We did not do any cooking in the villa on this trip. Big BBQ is out back in you wanted to kick back and BBQ.
Beach was quite nice and the walk was not bad at all.The garage is full of bikes and beach equipment to use without an added fee. I was looking forward to bike riding but they did not have a 24" bike for me. Lots of adult sized bikes ( 26/28 inch bikes and a few kids bikes) Due to some very heavy rains you should be aware of tiny ants and mosquitos. ( We are from Fl. so we are use to this) I would highly suggest buying a product called "nooooo noseums" Pre order online or pick it up on the island. You will thank me for this tip!
Fun things we did on the island: Rented a "Scoot Coupe" from YoLo on Captiva. This is a cross between golf cart and scooter. This cute head turning two seater was fun to zip around the island. Just know you cannot go in reverse! So you do need a little strength to move it at times.
You must try Sweet Melissa for dinner. Pricey but delicious and portions are huge and can easily be split for sharing. Mucky Ducks grilled shrimp was delicious. We ate at Timbers ( standard seafood , Traders Cafe ( cool vibe but our least favorite) Green Flash ( I believe is owned by Mucky Duck) beautiful marina view and service was great. Doc Fords Rum bar had great seafood as well. Be sure to order their peel and eat shrimp. We also ate at the Bubble Room for lunch. Great place to take some fun photos and be sure to order their homemade potato chips and a gigantic dessert to share with your table!
Drove the James Ding Darling 4 mile loop in my little coupe. We were disappointed since there was very little wildlife,
There is no real night life on the island and we found ourselves getting into bed quite early. So, I suggest to enjoy the beach, watch the sunsets, and make a late dinner reservation and eat slowly. The one night time activity that we enjoyed was over at Tween Waters/ You should go check out " Nascrab" races. I would suggest the 9:00pm show! It will be quite entertaining and the host is great. He raises money for United Way and it was a lot of laughs.
In closing, I would not to hesitate to comb ace to Sanibel with a few families and take all four villas and BBQ and cook and play games etc.. Beach Road Villa is a gem of a property and though it does need some updating it will be top on our list when we next head back to Sanibel Island.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank FLASH3967
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed in Sandpiper the end of June and thought the place was in a great location and very homey. It is a quick walk to the beach and all the amentities in the garage are great to take advantage of (chairs, toys, wagon to pull everything, beach umbrellas, bikes - not for beach use etc). The marina and patio area is nice and quiet with a comfortable hammock and screened in porches. There are a ton of fish jumping in the marina and we did finally see a manatee one evening about 7:30. It was on the other side of the marina and you didn't see much other than part of its back floating in the water, but was still really cool.

Reservations were very easy to make and it was great having Fred, caretaker/property manager, on site in case you needed something. He was extrememly friendly and hospitable. The villa is wonderfully stocked and includes a hairdryer (this isn't noted online). There is a book with local restaurant recommendations and we found it to be 100% accurate for Sanibel Steakhouse, Island Cow and Cheeseburger Cheeseburger. We recommend all of these, but the steakhouse is very pricey.

Sanibel is very environmentally friendly and the villa contains signs to please keep thermostat off when not at the villa and not to turn below 78. I don't notice other reviews of this, so maybe it was just me, but I found 78 to be VERY stuffy, even with the fans on. I'm only 31 and wouldn't say I should be having hot flashes yet, but I constantly complained that I was hot. The downstairs felt pretty good, but most of the time we were at the villa we were upstairs.

Mosiquitos were awful on the island in the evening when we went to see the lighthouse. I didn't notice them being as bad in other areas, but at the lighthouse point was crazy. Make sure you have bug spray or you will be itching like crazy. We did buy some and tried to take home, but didn't think about the fact that it was too large of a liquid container for carry on luggage, otherwise we would have left for future guests.

It does seem apparent that the villa is being upgraded bit by bit, but the upstairs bathroom is definitely outdated to the point it didn't really seem as clean as everything else. The linens, towels, kitchen and most everything were immaculate, but the bathroom seemed a little gross for a rental. It is possible it only seemed worse because it needs updated (i.e. peeling paint, stained? picture frame over toilet, dirty looking base boards, dirty looking grout, peeling tub).

I'm not sure why, but the beach area reeked of fishy smell. I've never noticed it at the beach like that before and wondering if it could have been due to the tropical storm that had just gone through. Once you were out there, you didn't notice, but the walk out was stinky. :) I'd recommend checking out the shell museum. I believe it was $9 per person and while I wasn't too interested in going, I'm really glad we did. It was very educational and I learned a lot of surprising information. Did you know shells were once used as currency?!

All in all it was an enjoyable trip, but 3 days definitely wasn't long enough to be away from the everyday hustle and bustle.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2012

There are a few properties on Sanibel Island that allow dogs to accompany you and on short notice, we found Beach Road Villas, conveniently located a couple hundred yards from the water's edge with four identical two-story villas on the property. Owner Dave Wager handles the details by phone or email quickly and efficiently and caretaker Fred takes care of getting you set up.

We arrived about an hour before the 3 PM check-in time but our villa (Driftwood) was ready to go so we unloaded the car and headed for the beach, down a shaded trail in between two condos. Although the beach faces to the south (shelling is so-so) it is pristine and wide.

The villa itself was well-equipped with a full kitchen, all cooking and eating utensils, an over/under washer/dryer, dishwasher, flat-panel LCD TV downstairs and included amenities to help you enjoy your stay including a beach umbrella, beach chair, free use of bicycles, floats and two outdoor grills. Each unit is two stories so you have to climb stairs to the bedrooms that share a bath. In ours, the master was huge with a big balcony overlooking the courtyard.

We found the beds a bit stiff but generally comfortable and the villa was spotless. The only shortcomings were the outdoor gas grill that's on its last legs and a noisy master bedroom ceiling fan that sounded like grinding rocks on high speed. Otherwise, all was well including free Wi-Fi access for computer and phone. If you like having a pool on the property you may want to look elsewhere, or for a fee you can obtain a pool pass at a nearby property that has an arrangement with BRV. The walk to the water is really about a five minute stroll, not the optimistic two minutes you may see advertised.

There is parking for just four cars (one for each villa) so if you're bringing two or have a guest, a car needs to go on the grass in the open lot next door, owned by the BRV. A guest's car was given a $35 parking ticket (in error) that was voided by the Sanibel Police after an inquiry by the owner. A minor inconvenience that was quickly cleared up. It just highlights how SPD is very aggressive in handling parking violations - something to be aware of at any spot on the island. The property backs up to a dead end canal and supposedly you will see manatees but we didn't see any during our stay. Plenty of fish were seen jumping in the water.

We chose BRV because they accepted our small dog for a small fee and the lodging price was very reasonable as well. I feel that we received more value than expected compared to similar properties we've stayed at on Sanibel in the past.

Room Tip: All villas are identical.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank remarkability
Reviewed 27 June 2012

All you need is the food! Everything else is provided from kitchen tools to linens. The view is quiet and soothing from your screened in porch. No bugs :) I was able to go out every morning and relax to birds singing and quiet, WONDERFUL. My two children had a wonderful time using provided beach toys. Husband made use of the grill and hammock. With wagons provided the short walk to the beach was easy and time efficient. No wasted time loading a car and driving anywhere. Kids chose this over Disney for next year, and we are already looking forward to it. Owners take great pride in landscaping doing work every day we were there to better the surroundings. I was very pleased and don't have any complaints :)

Room Tip: Only 4 to choose from, so no hussle and bustle like a hotel or group of condos, more privacy and qui...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ldsantell
Reviewed 11 June 2012

we had an fantastic time at beach road villas. waking up to the tropical view out the sliding glass door in the master was a great start to each day. love the screened patios w/fans (our even had a hammock!) - a must in any florida rental. the villa was nice, with new furniture and an updated kitchen, comfortable beds and most of the things you need for the kitchen (note to self: next time bring aluminum foil). my 2.5 year old son loved our weekend away, although he was convinced that the actual property was named "santa-bell" and i think a little disappointed to figure out that santa didn't actually live there. if you're traveling with kids the property has lots of beach toys (and wagons with which to drag them to the beach); although there is not a bike with a baby seat available among the array of free bikes at your disposal you can rent one just down the road... perfect for cruising and trips to DQ!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2012

When I arrived at the Beach Road Villas I could tell from the architecture that they have been around for awhile. The decor of the unit we stayed in (Sandpiper) was 70's ish, but very comfortable. On the outside, it is apparent that the managment is working hard to offer a tranquil garden-like experience - and succeeding quite well. Sitting in the garden or by the water is a great way to while away the time. Inside, the whole place was clean as a whistle. The kitchen is newly redone with all the amenities needed to fix meals and avoid the crazy mobbed restaurants. The living room and bedrooms have the 70s decor and the furniture does show it's age. But nothing is 'worn out' as I have found at other older resorts. The couches and chairs are all in good shape and comfortable. The bed I slept in was extremely comfortable. The bathroom is definitely showing it's age. All the fixtures work fine but they've reached the age where its tough to keep them looking good. The manager told me that re-doing all the bathrooms is their next major project. While we were there they were in the process of resurfacing all the cement walks and porches. So it appears that there is definitely $$ being invested back into upgrading the place. On the 'new' side, it was really nice to find free excellent wi-fi connectivity. An unusual addition that I haven't seen elsewhere was a docking station for my I-Phone to recharge and tie-in to the stereo.

Their location is great. Once you're over the bridge from Fort Myers, it's a very short drive and it totally avoids the often found bumper-to-bumper traffic on some of the main streets. It's an easy mostly-shaded walk to the beach. But if you prefer, they have free bikes to use. Beach chairs, umbrellas, wagons are incuded as well.

I own timeshares and have visited lots of places in Florida and Mexico. We don't care about glitz and neon. Beach Road Villas has the quiet character we always feel 'at home' in. We really loved our stay and will definitely return. The memory of sitting on a bench by the water early in the morning with a cup of coffee, watching fish jump, listening to the birds and waiting to catch a glimpse of 'Martha' the resident manatee will keep our desire to return, burning brightly.

Room Tip: They have 4 apartments - all face the same way, all are quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends