“A little slice of Gulf Coast Awesomeness (for dogs too!)”

Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages
Orlando, Florida
“A little slice of Gulf Coast Awesomeness (for dogs too!)”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I specifically looked for an "old Florida" beach cottage and that's exactly what I got! I loved this place and can't wait to go back. :)

This property is run by Steph & Luke who are only a phone call away for any needs on the property. I called ahead to let them know I was booking a surprise trip for my 2 year anniversary for my girlfriend and was planning to propose to her on this trip. Steph & Luke went above and beyond to help me execute my surprise plan. From delivering flowers to my room pre-arrival to finding a bottle of champagne and card in front of our door upon returning from the beach (where I proposed.)

When we first got to our room, the roses I ordered were sitting on the table near the door along with a welcome basket for our 2 dogs including treats, towels, and sheets for bedding. Additionally our room was super clean and fresh. We stayed in Unit 5, which is really small, yet cute and refined in it's old Florida style beachy kind of way. The room is only about 200 sq.ft, but was more than enough room for 2 people and 2 dogs. I can't say that I have anything to complain about but if there was a "wishlist" for Unit 5.... I would say that it could use a screened patio like the rest of the beach units and the shower could be bigger.

The rooms are about 100 yards from the beach allowing for quick access day or night. The property was very clean and well-maintained. You can tell the staff takes pride in their business. Overall I give this a 5 out of 5. If you are looking for a place that has housekeepers come clean your room everyday, then I suggest booking the Holiday Inn. If you are looking to get away from the hustle & bustle, bask in the old Florida sun then this is the place to do it.

Dog People:
Your dogs will LOVE it here. From dog friendly beach and rooms to restaurants and more....
Dogs are welcome in rooms while you are out enjoying the island. The pet fee is more than fair at $15 per night. (I can't even pay my neighbor to watch my dog at that price!)

We Will Definitely Be Back! A big thanks to Steph & Luke for making our engagement extra special!

Michael and Diem
(Sampson and Loki, too!)

Room Tip: Unit 5 is pretty small, but worth it if you are planning to be out & about most of your stay!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Just spent a week renting Cottage 3 on beautiful Sanibel Island. King bed, bathroom with tub and shower, kitchen with full-size fridge, pull-out couch & TV in separate living room. The very first thing that I noticed upon check-in was the friendliness and helpfulness of our hosts, Stef & Luke. Such a hard working couple! They went out of their way to make sure we felt at home. The cottage was very clean and the kitchen was well - stocked with basic cooking supplies. The towels and bed linens smelled very clean and fresh too. The outdoor areas were well maintained. We used our outdoor grill on the first night and it was cleaned the very next day. We enjoyed the swimming pool and all the complimentary beach/sand toys. I even found shelling tools and a fishing pole stake to borrow. The on-site laundry facilities were a huge bonus. The area of town where Tropical Winds is located feels very safe. The beach is not over-crowded. Plenty of shells. We saw a mama sea turtle on her way back to the ocean after laying her eggs one evening. (No flashlights or camera flashes allowed on the beach at night, fyi. Don't want to scare away the sea turtles. ) A manatee swam up to me in the ocean and just wanted to hang out for a while before she swam away. Loved that! (Don't touch the manatees, lots of laws about protecting sea cows from stupid humans.) We enjoyed the Seashell Museum too, excellent information from the curators and staff. Loved the guys at Whitney ' s Bait and Tackle, rented a fishing pole and got lots of great advice about fishing in the refuge. Easy peasy. Great visit overall. We love Tropical Winds!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Quincy, IL
Reviewed 10 June 2014

PROS: The owners are helpful and nice. The property is a short walk away from a private, quiet beach. We stayed in a cottage and had a good size kitchen which was great for preparing your own simple meals. I love that the kitchen was stocked with most everything you need to prepare food. I also loved that there was a wagon, beach chairs, and sand items provided to take down to the beach. Our kids loved the outdoor pool. Overall, the amenities make it a nice property to stay at.

CONS: There are sand fleas at the beach at night. The cable flickers and we were told to mess with the cables to fix it, which we did, but it continued to flicker every 5 minutes or so, which made viewing television nearly impossible. The wifi was very spotty. When we first walked in, I was overwhelmed with the smell of chemical cleaning products. The property seems to be shut up most of the time, so the cleaning product smells are strong and not pleasant. It was hard to get clean towels, and a maid never comes to replenish or clean up, so we ended up buying our own toilet paper because it was just easier than finding someone to get some. I could look past all of this, but unfortunately, I would not stay at Tropical Winds again due to how uncomfortable everyone was when it came to bedtime. We are a family of 4 and stayed in June 2014 for 5 nights. It got to the point where no one looked forward to returning to the cottage in the evening because we all knew how difficult sleep would be. We have traveled as a family and stayed on several different properties, and this was by far the most uncomfortable for sleeping. The beds were about as soft as sleeping on the floor, the pull out couch's mattress was paper thin so all you felt was springs, and the pillows were all very hard and unusable. While I would love to say we would go back, this overshadowed the extra amenities and we would not return. After a few nights of restless sleep, it starts to impact your trip and makes your days harder to start and to enjoy. Honestly, if we hadn't prepaid for our stay, we would have switched to a hotel room and skipped the extra amenities, just to get a good night's sleep so we could better enjoy our days on the island. Additionally, I woke up feeling sick on both nights that I slept in the bedroom (sore throat, headache, and head pressure) and I knew that it was because of something I was breathing in, in the room I was sleeping. Either the air conditioner filter in that room is not being cleaned properly, or the water stains on the bedroom's carpet are indicative of something growing underneath. I would feel better once I got out of the cottage and had fresh air, feel fine going to sleep, and then feel poorly waking up again. As soon as I switched to sleeping in the living room, I woke up better. My daughter slept in the same room and had headaches during our stay too. I am not sure what exactly was the culprit, but I am positive if you have allergies or are more sensitive to mold/allergens, you might have a similar experience. My opinion: look for a property with similar amenities that equally values the comfort of their guests.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank JenniferLeeHeap
SanibelTropicalWinds, Manager at Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hello Jennifer - I think you're related to the reviewer Justin above. While we're glad you both enjoyed your stay at Tropical Winds overall, we are sad you didn't find the accommodations up to the standard of a more commercial or chain hotel. We are taking your comments seriously and reviewing the bedding in this unit. While it is firm and many guests don't mind that, we do recognize that the industry as a whole is moving to a softer bed style. In the future as well, we do have rooms that may sleep your party more comfortably. Please inquire about the bed configurations prior to booking and we'll do our best to accommodate.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is what you read on the front desk of the resort's tiny office...and that's exactly how we felt. We were made feel welcome by the owners, the cottage was super clean, there is plenty of space outside the cottages were you can chill out, the beautiful beach is literally 1 min walk, and of course the sunset.... We truly felt in paradise!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ml g
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I try to come here at least once a year. It is like having my own beach cottage. In my opinion (having stayed other places in the past), Tropical Winds has the best shelling and sunsets on the island. Cottage is spacious, clean, comfortable, and well equipped with many amenities such as beach chairs, beach umbrella, and a big wagon with drink holders to roll everything down to the beach. Noodles, bicycles and play things for kids are available too. Staff is outstanding - responsive and friendly. Lovely property has everything you could want: shell tables to wash and sort your finds, grills so you don't have to eat out all the time, chairs in shade or sun, lovely trees, nice pool when the beach gets too hot. Doc Ford's is right down the street and I get take out and bring back to eat on the picnic tables. This is old Florida style beach vacationing, slow paced and quiet. Great spot and safe beach for kids too. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: All cottages are well located. Take a look at the webpage to pick a location either closer to the be...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Marie B
Houston
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We can't say enough about how fantastic the staff is here. We stayed in the cutest room, #10, with it's own lanai and we can not wait to go back. Ours had a full size fridge, four burner oven, all the dishware you'd need. Grounds were clean. They had several grills, an outdoor shower and even an area to rinse of your shells from the beach. The owners live onsite and give you their personal cell numbers incase you need something after hours. This is what vacation is supposed to be like. Laid back. You won't be disappointed! Sit on your personal enclosed porch with a glass of wine and listen to the waves and enjoy the breeze. So very peaceful.

Room Tip: Room number 10 faces towards the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sandb06fl
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

my husband and I enjoyed 5 wonderful, relaxing days in cottage 1. We were impressed by the effort to accommodate our every need, including the wagon to bring our beach chairs & umbrella with us for the short walk to the best beach in Sanibel! The accommodations were very clean, plenty of linens and comfortable. We can't wait to go back next year, the only thing we would change........We'd stay longer!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,665 reviews
Waterside Inn on the Beach
Waterside Inn on the Beach
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!