“great place to unwind at”

Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages
port st lucie, florida
“great place to unwind at”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We loved Tropical Winds. It is the best location for going to the beach.
Every morning we were at the beach there was never more than 12 people, one day it was us and another couple.
It was like having your own private beach!
The pool was clean, and most of the afternoons it too was very quiet.
The cottage was adorable, clean, the kitchen was pretty much equipped with what you might need. We could of used a baking sheet to reheat pizza, but we adlibbed.
The shower was strong, no lack of water there.
The bedroom had 2 double beds, we managed!
The mattress was not the best, we both thought a new one was in order, and that was really the only complaint and it would not stop us in going back! It was a great get away!
We can not wait to go back, we loved Tropical Winds
and we loved Sanibel!!

Room Tip: They have cottages closer to beach or by the pool. We were very happy by the pool and it was a very...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wheeltoys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
Quincy, Illinois
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed here for a family vacation in Cabin #2. Our cottage had a bedroom with 2 twin beds, a bathroom, living room (with hide-a-bed couch), and kitchen. As for the size, it was all we needed and more – more space than you would get with a hotel. It was nice having a full kitchen (with dishes), full refrigerator, oven, microwave, etc. You can really save on meals by having this and buying groceries to eat on all week. We had our two kids with us so it was nice being able to put them in a separate room at night to have our own privacy.

The good:

We met with the property owner and/or manager when we first arrived. She was very helpful, and very accommodating. She expressed many times that we could call the office phone (which is a cordless phone she carries around with her on the property) or her cell number if we needed anything – toilet paper, paper towels, salt, pepper, anything. If they had it, they’d give it to us. That was a nice piece of mind and we did call her once for some beach towels and she brought them right over.

Stay on the property also includes beach toys (water guns, wakeboards, other things for kids), beach chairs, etc and a wagon to pull it all with, which we used a lot and was very nice to have. There is a grill in the backyard that we didn’t utilize – it is one of those metal charcoal grills on a stand you see at campsites.

There are shells EVERYWHERE on the beach. If you are into shelling, this is the place for you. It was also very quiet with hardly anyone on the beach, as it is a private beach. The visibility was a little rough on this beach to snorkel and find shells, so if that is your thing, I would recommend heading down to the beach by the light house on the island – it had very calm waters that were clear and it was very safe for kids. The lighthouse beach is more crowded as it is a public beach but once I started finding live hermit crabs, sand dollars, and very nice shells with my snorkel and mask, I didn’t care anymore.

The pool on the property isn’t huge, but isn’t small by any means small and it is very clean. It has a deeper end - about 8ft - and a shallow end with stairs. Our kids loved jumping in the deep end. Night swimming was a plus as well as there aren’t really any pool hours, which is very nice.

The bad:

The beds are very hard, and the pillows are too. I had to steal my son’s Pillow Pet from him to sleep with all week. I spent only one night in the bedroom on a twin bed and that was enough for me. I moved to the hide-a-bed in the living room for the rest of the week because it was slightly more comfortable. You can feel springs in your back but it’s better than sleeping on a rock with sheets. I don’t think I’ve ever stayed anywhere with worse sleeping arrangements and I’ve stayed in them all – from the really cheap to the uber expensive.

My girlfriend stayed in the bedroom on a twin bed underneath an air conditioner for two nights and both mornings woke up with bad throat problems. Not sure if the filters need cleaned out or what, but after moving to the hide-a-bed with me, her throat problems went away.

Sand fleas are a problem on this beach. We got home and had itchy bites for about a week. Not really something the property owners can control, but they are a problem.

Mosquitoes are also bad at night. Wear lots of bug spray if you go out after dark.

Also, don’t accidently take beach chairs from the locals’ chair bin. They are very rude about an honest mistake.

Conclusion:

The staff was very friendly and accommodating and I don’t believe we utilized them enough for help throughout our trip, because they were very willing. The location is wonderful – right next to the beach after a short walk. The pool was very nice and our kids loved it. The sleeping arrangements were the worst I’ve experienced and if there were more comfortable beds, I think our trip would have been 100X better. I’m a very heavy sleeper and I woke up multiple times every night because of how uncomfortable I was. It’s hard to enjoy your vacation every day when you are so tired from lack of sleep. It makes everyone irritable during the day and can cause more “vacation fights” than necessary. I think that if the owners would take the time and spend a week in each one of their cabins to see what their guests are experiencing, things would change. I hope they read this, and they do.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank JustinGGoodwin
SanibelTropicalWinds, Manager at Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you Justin for your positive comments. We're glad that overall you enjoyed many of the great things about staying at Tropical Winds.

We're sorry you didn't care for the full size beds in the cottage. They are firm mattresses, in the past we've found that firm mattresses hold up better but we have noticed an industry wide move towards softer bedding. We are taking a survey amongst our guests to determine what type bed is prefered.

We're looking forward to having you back at Tropical some time. If you book ahead and indicate your sleeping preferences we can definitely accommodate you better.
Greensboro, Alabama
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here on a whim on our way to the Keys - and we are SO HAPPY that we did! Steph and Luke are so nice and accommodating and our little cottage was heaven. I loved the screened porch and just the "old Florida feel" of the place. Spotlessly clean and so very relaxing. We look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Abbywads
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I specifically looked for an "old Florida" beach cottage and that's exactly what I got! I loved this place and can't wait to go back. :)

This property is run by Steph & Luke who are only a phone call away for any needs on the property. I called ahead to let them know I was booking a surprise trip for my 2 year anniversary for my girlfriend and was planning to propose to her on this trip. Steph & Luke went above and beyond to help me execute my surprise plan. From delivering flowers to my room pre-arrival to finding a bottle of champagne and card in front of our door upon returning from the beach (where I proposed.)

When we first got to our room, the roses I ordered were sitting on the table near the door along with a welcome basket for our 2 dogs including treats, towels, and sheets for bedding. Additionally our room was super clean and fresh. We stayed in Unit 5, which is really small, yet cute and refined in it's old Florida style beachy kind of way. The room is only about 200 sq.ft, but was more than enough room for 2 people and 2 dogs. I can't say that I have anything to complain about but if there was a "wishlist" for Unit 5.... I would say that it could use a screened patio like the rest of the beach units and the shower could be bigger.

The rooms are about 100 yards from the beach allowing for quick access day or night. The property was very clean and well-maintained. You can tell the staff takes pride in their business. Overall I give this a 5 out of 5. If you are looking for a place that has housekeepers come clean your room everyday, then I suggest booking the Holiday Inn. If you are looking to get away from the hustle & bustle, bask in the old Florida sun then this is the place to do it.

Dog People:
Your dogs will LOVE it here. From dog friendly beach and rooms to restaurants and more....
Dogs are welcome in rooms while you are out enjoying the island. The pet fee is more than fair at $15 per night. (I can't even pay my neighbor to watch my dog at that price!)

We Will Definitely Be Back! A big thanks to Steph & Luke for making our engagement extra special!

Michael and Diem
(Sampson and Loki, too!)

Room Tip: Unit 5 is pretty small, but worth it if you are planning to be out & about most of your stay!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike A
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Just spent a week renting Cottage 3 on beautiful Sanibel Island. King bed, bathroom with tub and shower, kitchen with full-size fridge, pull-out couch & TV in separate living room. The very first thing that I noticed upon check-in was the friendliness and helpfulness of our hosts, Stef & Luke. Such a hard working couple! They went out of their way to make sure we felt at home. The cottage was very clean and the kitchen was well - stocked with basic cooking supplies. The towels and bed linens smelled very clean and fresh too. The outdoor areas were well maintained. We used our outdoor grill on the first night and it was cleaned the very next day. We enjoyed the swimming pool and all the complimentary beach/sand toys. I even found shelling tools and a fishing pole stake to borrow. The on-site laundry facilities were a huge bonus. The area of town where Tropical Winds is located feels very safe. The beach is not over-crowded. Plenty of shells. We saw a mama sea turtle on her way back to the ocean after laying her eggs one evening. (No flashlights or camera flashes allowed on the beach at night, fyi. Don't want to scare away the sea turtles. ) A manatee swam up to me in the ocean and just wanted to hang out for a while before she swam away. Loved that! (Don't touch the manatees, lots of laws about protecting sea cows from stupid humans.) We enjoyed the Seashell Museum too, excellent information from the curators and staff. Loved the guys at Whitney ' s Bait and Tackle, rented a fishing pole and got lots of great advice about fishing in the refuge. Easy peasy. Great visit overall. We love Tropical Winds!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Quincy, IL
Reviewed 10 June 2014

PROS: The owners are helpful and nice. The property is a short walk away from a private, quiet beach. We stayed in a cottage and had a good size kitchen which was great for preparing your own simple meals. I love that the kitchen was stocked with most everything you need to prepare food. I also loved that there was a wagon, beach chairs, and sand items provided to take down to the beach. Our kids loved the outdoor pool. Overall, the amenities make it a nice property to stay at.

CONS: There are sand fleas at the beach at night. The cable flickers and we were told to mess with the cables to fix it, which we did, but it continued to flicker every 5 minutes or so, which made viewing television nearly impossible. The wifi was very spotty. When we first walked in, I was overwhelmed with the smell of chemical cleaning products. The property seems to be shut up most of the time, so the cleaning product smells are strong and not pleasant. It was hard to get clean towels, and a maid never comes to replenish or clean up, so we ended up buying our own toilet paper because it was just easier than finding someone to get some. I could look past all of this, but unfortunately, I would not stay at Tropical Winds again due to how uncomfortable everyone was when it came to bedtime. We are a family of 4 and stayed in June 2014 for 5 nights. It got to the point where no one looked forward to returning to the cottage in the evening because we all knew how difficult sleep would be. We have traveled as a family and stayed on several different properties, and this was by far the most uncomfortable for sleeping. The beds were about as soft as sleeping on the floor, the pull out couch's mattress was paper thin so all you felt was springs, and the pillows were all very hard and unusable. While I would love to say we would go back, this overshadowed the extra amenities and we would not return. After a few nights of restless sleep, it starts to impact your trip and makes your days harder to start and to enjoy. Honestly, if we hadn't prepaid for our stay, we would have switched to a hotel room and skipped the extra amenities, just to get a good night's sleep so we could better enjoy our days on the island. Additionally, I woke up feeling sick on both nights that I slept in the bedroom (sore throat, headache, and head pressure) and I knew that it was because of something I was breathing in, in the room I was sleeping. Either the air conditioner filter in that room is not being cleaned properly, or the water stains on the bedroom's carpet are indicative of something growing underneath. I would feel better once I got out of the cottage and had fresh air, feel fine going to sleep, and then feel poorly waking up again. As soon as I switched to sleeping in the living room, I woke up better. My daughter slept in the same room and had headaches during our stay too. I am not sure what exactly was the culprit, but I am positive if you have allergies or are more sensitive to mold/allergens, you might have a similar experience. My opinion: look for a property with similar amenities that equally values the comfort of their guests.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank JenniferLeeHeap
Hello Jennifer - I think you're related to the reviewer Justin above. While we're glad you both enjoyed your stay at Tropical Winds overall, we are sad you didn't find the accommodations up to the standard of a more commercial or chain hotel. We are taking your comments seriously and reviewing the bedding in this unit. While it is firm and many guests don't mind that, we do recognize that the industry as a whole is moving to a softer bed style. In the future as well, we do have rooms that may sleep your party more comfortably. Please inquire about the bed configurations prior to booking and we'll do our best to accommodate.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is what you read on the front desk of the resort's tiny office...and that's exactly how we felt. We were made feel welcome by the owners, the cottage was super clean, there is plenty of space outside the cottages were you can chill out, the beautiful beach is literally 1 min walk, and of course the sunset.... We truly felt in paradise!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple