“Do not stay in sea breeze...more like trash breeze”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sanibel Island
Mitchell's Sandcastles
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We stayed in the seabreeze home rental at mitchells. It is right next to the trash dumpster and we smelled trash the whole time. The water quality is questionable. It has a strong odor and we never felt "clean" after a shower. The bathroom floor felt slimey. (maybe that is the whole island?) The pool next door was great for the kids. The beach is a good walk. Much too far to lug anything with kids. If you are going to stay here spend the money and stay right on the beach for one night. The beds were comfortable. I would classify this an overpriced working camping trip. you really have to ask for everything because you are not initially oriented to the amenities. If you do have to request an umbrella or beach chair definitely ask the male employees. They seemed to be much more helpful. . The shelling was exceptional. Go in the am right at dawn at bowmans beach. we had the place almost to ourselves. that few hours saved the trip from disaster. If you want any relaxation i would spend the extra money and go to captiva

Room Tip: stay close to the beach regardless of anydiscounts
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank anon60745
mitchellssandcastles, Owner at Mitchell's Sandcastles, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2011

This is a very biased and crass review of one of our most popular cottages and of Sanibel in general. When guests ask me about the high percentage of wonderful reviews we receive I always answer that we are blessed to have guests that understand and appreciate the beauty and tranquility of Sanibel. Not so in this case. First, there is not and has never been any smell of trash on the property or on West Gulf Drive for that matter. The floors and "all of Sanibel" are not slimey (whatever that means). Our water quality is ranked in the top 1% of the state. IWA prides itself on the clean water that it generates from our natural aquifers. There is definitely no odor and to state that is ignorant and false. Regarding the beach, it is the most beautiful stretch of beach on the Islands. Private, great shelling and fishing, very SHORT walk to the water.Why in the world would the reviewer prefer Bowmans Beach which is a public beach access with a very long jog from the public parking area to the water? Unfortunately I am not allowed to disclose where the reviewer really resides. It is not Boston. Maybe in the reviewers mind, but not in reality.
Joel Kronfeld
Owner/Manager

Reviewed 26 May 2011

We stayed for 5 nights recently in Sea Shell and had a wonderful time. The cottage was quaint, but spotless, and fully equipped with everything we could need. It had obviously recently been renovated, and the outside deck was a lovely place to have breakfast. We didn't need to bother the owners much as we had everything we needed. The beach was magnificent, and only a handful of paces from our front door. I weighed my suitcase down with shells and would certainly one day love to return

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TMRSouthamptonUK
Reviewed 24 May 2011

First of all, I just want to express my gratitude to the current owners for making the investment, both monetary and emotionally, to keeping Mitchell's and 4015 alive and well. This is one of the best locations on Sanibel, and one of the few that are dog friendly. My family has been coming here for 20 years, and the quality is just as good, or better than before. Big plus is the wifi - pretty fast considering how wide of an area it covers.Each unit has its own grill - that was awesome, big improvement. Beds were comfy - 'm an insomniac and never slept so well. No one bothers you, it's truly paradise. I checked in on Saturday the 14th and stayed in the Sea Spray unit for a week. The only thing that semi bothered/bemused me a little was the panic in the office when I brought my dog with me to check in. lol, guess I'm spoilt by my past experiences. But gosh, that's the only negative I can even think of.
Should you go? Oh, heck, yes! it's a great spot to hang out, enjoy nature, empty beaches, and lots of privacy. Best spot on Sanibel, especially for dog lovers. Go!!!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank inkwindi
Reviewed 13 May 2011

My husband and I were looking for somewhere on the beach (that didn't cost an arm and a leg) in Sanibel for a long weekend away. Mitchell's was everything we were looking for and MORE!!! We stayed in an efficiency, Cottage #4. It was steps away from the pool, the beach,and the best shelling ever. Our place was clean and spacious. The grounds were well-kept. The staff and the other patrons were all very friendly and accomodating. Every morning we took a walk on the beach, every night we sat under the stars listening to the waves crash, it was wonderful. We also were lucky enough to see several dolphins and a manitee while sunning ouselves on the beach. We liked it so much we booked for next year in a one bedroom. I would highly recommend coming to Mitchell's for your next vacation!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank af_martini
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We absolutely loved Mitchell's Sandcastles, no complaints!
We cannot wait to go back!
Everything from our accomodations to the location were awesome!
Thanks so much for the perfect Florida vacation!
The Clattenburgs
Truro, Nova Scotia

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank dakota12345678
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Great location, beautiful Island! We had unit 8 and enjoyed breakfasts outside, morning tennis, late afternoon dips in the pool and long days on the beach with beautiful sunsets! Great shelling and quiet beach. This location does not have other hotels nearby so you really enjoy quiet beaches. They allow you to use nice beach chairs, beach umbrella, boogie boards for free. Shuffle board, tennis rackets and bikes for checkout Also free!! Rooms are slightly outdated, but clean and nice TVs although we didn't use them. Great deal!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I can't say more about Mitchell's Sand Castles than it was the Absolutely Perfect place for a beach vacation. This was our third trip to Sanibel, and our first time at Mitchell's - everything was as good or better than I expected based on other TripAdvisor reviews. I booked the Beachcomber cottage during the "Blizzard of the Decade" in the Midwest and Joel was extremely helpful in finding us accommodations for our dates in April, with a promise that Sanibel weather awaited. After check-in, both Joel and Kim were very helpful with information on shelling, tide charts and anything else we needed during our stay. Bailey's Market is only a short drive away, and access to the rest of the island is very easy from the location. Dale was always there to assist, always with a wave and a smile. The Beachcomber cottage was perfect.. clean, well appointed and comfortable. The Weber Grill was an added bonus, and put to good use during our stay. The Fitness Center was perfect for two people looking to get a good workout on vacation. The free Wi-Fi came in handy for two working professionals on vacation. The adults only pool was a nice touch - we had it all to ourselves one afternoon. The location on the beach was amazing....... awesome shelling and the sunset views were spectacular!!! I can't wait to return again!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple