“a little piece of paradise” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mitchell's Sandcastles

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sanibel Island
Mitchell's Sandcastles
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“a little piece of paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

We stayed at Mitchell's for 4 nights in September. We stayed in a studio cottage (The SeaGrape). The view was incredible. You could see the ocean right from our porch! It was just my husband and I and we loved how much space this place had. It was much bigger than staying in a hotel. Everything seemed clean. We were excited that this place has a little kitchen and went to the grocery store so we could cook a few meals there. Unfortunately, there were little bugs on the counter and in the cabinet where the dishes are and some had wandered into the cereal box we brought with us. We told the front desk and they did send someone out to spray raid to irradicate the problem. They did within a few minutes of our complaint, unfortunately, the bugs were still in the cabinet where the dishes were located. We did not end up cooking much because we were uncomfortable abut the bugs and didn't want to complain too much. I know that Sanibel is a very natural beach, so I assume it comes with the territory. Aside from that our cabin was adorable and clean and comfortable. I missed not having an iron and hair dryer in our room, but I get the idea that if I would have asked for one, one would have been provided. It was not a huge concern for me so I just lived without it for a few days. The air condition is VERY powerful which felt amazing when coming in form the hot, humid weather. The porch is so cute and if we had been here longer we would have taken advantage of it more. We had a bucket to rinse shells (and our feet) when we came back from the beach. The cottage next to us was being renovated and after the first day the construction guys had taken our hose to use for the renovation. It was an inconvience when cleaning off the shells, but not too much so because we ended up meeting some of the neighbors and using theirs. ( we knew we were staying offseason so we expected some renovations)

As far as outside, The pools were clean and so refreshing! We swam everyday and we're not big swimmers. They even had floats and "noodles" to swim with. And we were usually the only ones in the pool. (and even the farther of the pools was a short walk away, the online map makes it look farther) The beach is just steps away! There were only a handful of people on the beach at any given time and the shells are EVERYWHERE! I enjoyed seeing all of the different kinds of birds wandering on the beach and looking for shells. The ocean is a bit rough on the bottom due to the shells. I wore flipflops when going in and then it smoothed out a bit.

Mitchells overall was a nice place to stay. It has everything you need to stay here for a while and the staff members are very nice and responsive when asked for things. Beach chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, bikes, pool towels. The kitchen was effeciently equipted. It appeared , based on the people who were staying there, and the way things are equipted, that people who stay here stay a longer amount of time. I regret that we only stayed for a few days and would look forward to staying a longer amount of time in the future.

I would also love to bring our dogs! Quite a few people had their dogs. The shelling was great. And staying in a place so close to so many different forms of wildlife was amazing. We saw lizards, ospreys, a woodpecker in the tree outside our room, and all types of shore birds. We also saw a hoofprint on the beach the one morning and if we had more time, I would love to investigate at night how it got there.

We'd love to come back and would recommend this place to family and friends.

Room Tip: Seagrape is the the smallest room you can get and second closest to the beach!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stephanie F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

This was our first stay at Mitchell's but not the last. The cabin was spacious, very clean, quiet, and close to everything. We stayed in #7 9/22 to 9/29, and wish I was still there! The bed was very comfortable, everything we needed was there, and it was a very short walk to the beach. We had the dog with us. He had a ball. He is a wuss about the water, not interested, but is really excited about meeting new people. He is a con artist, and loved having all these new friends!

We had stayed at another dog friendly place previously, but much prefer Mitchell's. the cottage was twice the size, this ehnd of the island is so peaceful. Some mornings on my shelling walks I was the only person on the beach. Sunsets saw a few more, but still not crowded. Everyone was so friendly.

Someone had posted that they really wanted to visit here, but not if there were dogs. I would not recommend this place for folks who are afraid of dogs, or do not like them, not because the dogs were aggressive, but because most cabins seemed to have a dog or two. All the dogs we met were friendly, well behaved, and appropriately on leash. What a great vacation, and looking forward to visiting again soon.

Room Tip: Almost any room would be good, depending on what bed arrangements you want, view, etc. It is a real...
1 Thank kris48
Auburn, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

Due to my husband's business being closely tied to construction & the bad economy, we hadn't been to our favorite corner of the world (Mitchell's Sand Castles) since Sept of 2009 but we finally got a chance to go even if it was only for a weekend (9/14-9/17).

When we were there in 2009, we met Joel right before we left and he was about to take over and so excited about what he could do with the place. Believe me, he is a MAN OF HIS WORD!! He has done amazing things to improve Mitchells in the last 3 years!

Now remember, we have been coming for Sanibel and staying at Mitchells since 1983 (29 years) and loved it even though it was "old Florida" style but we're old fashioned kind of people so we discovered in '83 that Mitchells was the right place for us.

We were SO HAPPY to see that Joel had re-modeled all the cottages and made them so much more comfy than ever before. This shows me that he is there to stay and not abandon our "piece of heaven" on earth!

Everyone was so helpful; no problems at all! Oh we did have a cracked coffee pot, when we informed them, it was replaced with a BRAND NEW coffee maker!

Thank you Joel for making our "one & only vacation spot" even better than ever before!!

We'll see you next year; hopefully in September!
Janice & Mark Duncan
GA

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jduncan395
Vashon, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

My husband and I have been visiting Sanibel at least annually since our honeymoon (in 1986!). We've stayed in many local hotels, and Mitchell's is our favorite. My husband is a fisherman and I'm a sheller, so we stop for groceries, unpack, and walk a few steps from our cottage door to the beach. Great location, great new owners, pet friendly place. Nice clean pool, with towels provided. Beach chairs and umbrellas available. The perfect place for a relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: They are all great.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Ann P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Mitchell's Sandcastles is located on a dead end between large houses with no other vacation rentals nearby - consequently you get an empty beach to hang out upon. Units are clean and comfortable, but certainly not 5 star luxury, it is a casual place. The pool was nice, the beach great, kayaks and bikes available. We'll be going back soon.

Room Tip: we had the Seabreeze (3 br. 3 ba) and though it's about as far from the beach as any of the cott...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank stashman
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

A little late with this, but this is from our stay in May 2012....we stayed in the #4 Unit.

My wife and I were married on Sanibel and we have traveled back there 4 times since. We have stayed at different places on the island (B&B in OldTown, condo near Blind Pass), but we wanted a place that would lend itself to more of an authentic "feel" of what Sanibel truly is (or at least used to be). We settled on Mitchell's for our 10th Anniversary and all I can say now is. How did we not get here sooner?"

Tons of good reviews on Mitchell's so I'm not going to repeat what everyone else says. But I will say this about Noel and his staff: They are there whenever you need them, but more importantly, they leave you alone to your own devices. Staff is present but they are not in the way...on-site laundry room, pool was immaculate, the West Gulf is the place to be on the island!
Additionally, Noel helped me arrange flowers/chocolate in room for the wife when we arrived. I don't know Noel personally but we met briefly and I can honestly say that he is passionate about Mitchell's and he cares about keeping his clientele satisfied.

It's important to note that this is NOT a condo/hotel, but 50's/60's style cottages that have undergone total renovation inside and out, sitting on an unpaved property with a naturalized landscape that doesn't have a sprinkler system watering a lot of stuff that would not grow there otherwise. It's VERY clean, beautiful to the eyes and ears, and it was the only place on Sanibel where I really wanted to wake up in my PJ's and stroll to the beach at 6:30am and see the sunrise.

We'll be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in #4 (1-BR studio), but it's one of their biggest studio units. It's set back fro...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vbcabin
League City, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

As we came over the causeway bridge, September 4th onto Sanibel Island,it looked beautiful and it only got better! As we traveled down the tree lined roads,looking at all the shops,restaurants,etc.we came to Mitchell's. Check was a breeze,very polite. My wife is sometimes,how do guys say it..kinda' paticular about where she stays,so I went up first. As she is coming up the stairs,I'm coming down with a big smile on my face and telling her,you're gonna' like this place! We stayed in the, 2 bed rm.2 bath #10 condo,what a wonderful choice. Everything worked,showers,facets,AC . Having a full kitchen at our disposal was such a plus,plenty of room,living area had windows the length of the outside deck,anytime you looked out the window,there was the beach,it was great,and everything was very clean,nice,nice,nice!
As you step out onto the large patio/deck,there is a table with an umbrella,chairs and even a little, "cubby hole" with chairs outside the master bed rm. patio door. As you stand at the top of the stairs leading down to your,"backyard" ,we see the beach and feel the ocean breeze on our faces and then it starts....the both of us get this the big grin on our faces,from ear to ear. At the bottom of the stairs,there is the large Weber out door gill,along with a water facet and hose. Next to that is the,
"shell buckets" to clean all those shells you are going to collect,it's all right there waiting for you.
The beach...what can I say,it's just a few steps through your backyard and you are there! I have never seen so many shells,large and small,the beach is covered with them in both directions.
My lovely wife and I stayed only 3 days but we always made time for the sunrise and the sunset on our section of the beach,just amazing! Human's don't create this beach world,thank god Mitchell's put their location here so we could enjoy it.
Will we come back.... YEAH BABY!! and bring more folks with us.

Room Tip: I can only vouch for #10...you face the beach,the property has it's own back yard. Front door fa...
4 Thank Dreux8888
#6 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Beachview Cottages
Beachview Cottages
#3 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Mitchell's Sandcastles? Share your experiences!