“Our favorite place on Sanibel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sanibel Island
Mitchell's Sandcastles
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Kentucky
“Our favorite place on Sanibel”
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Our family has been staying at Mitchell's since the 1960's when we came over on the ferry. We have seen changes in owners and management over the years, but none could compare with the friendliness and hospitality of new owners, Joel and Kim. They WANT you to have a wonderful time and do all they can to make your stay enjoyable. With the free bikes, kayaks, beach chairs and umbrellas, tennis courts, wi-fi, fitness center and business center there is always something to do, even if it rains. The beach is secluded and the best shelling beach on the island. The cottages have everything you need provided and there is nothing like sitting on your deck or screened porch and watching the waves come in. If you are looking for a place with an "Old Florida" type atmosphere, where you can bring your dog, and stay at the quiet end of the island you won't be disappointed. Now, if you are upscale and want to do the night life, you may rather rent a condo, with the overcrowded beach and high volume traffic. We prefer Mitchell's.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 2 June 2010

After reading many of the reviews on Trip Advisor and after talking to the owner, Joel, over the telephone we decided to stay at Mitchell's Sandcastles during the Easter break. The main attraction of this location was the fact they accept small dogs. Also, Joel was very nice over the phone. Don't expect luxury accomodations, these are just as described, cottages. We first were put in cottage #6 for one night as the one we booked was not available on the night of our arrival. This cottage was nice and we wish we could have stayed in it after seeing the cottage we moved to the next day. Also after our stay we realized that the numbered cottages appeared to be much nicer than the ones with names. The cottage we moved to was the Beachcomer and again I have to mention this is a very basic cottage. It did have a nice, but little screened in porch and the kitchen was fully equiped. Most of the cottage was clean but the oven was disgusting and looked like it had not been cleaned in some time. I also have to agree with another reviewer that the bedspreads were not the best, cheap nylon. Other furniture was in good condition such as the couch and chairs in the living room. Things were okay for the first couple of nights but on the last night of our stay a young couple moved into the adjoining cabin and their bed must have been right on the other side of the wall from our bedroom. We had to listen to them for what seemed like hours and got no sleep that night. Walls are VERY thin. The beach area is very nice and always clean, you can even take your dog on the beach. Price is very resonable. We will maybe return but will be sure to stay in one of the numbers cottages.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon S
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This is a fantastic vacation spot. Is it a Hilton or Hyatt?No. They are cottages,and that being said, Do not expect a high end resort. I have been to this spot for years and have never been disappointed. This is a new owner,and I have not been since they have taken over, but they seem lovely over the phone and have done renovations that I am excited to see. The location is great, the pool is saltwater,(VERY CLEAN) they had tennis courts, and a workout room(small) which I hope they still have. I love this place and it has a down to earth atmosphere which to me is what Sanibel is all about! Give it a try. I can't imagine staying any where else!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Seashellfanatic
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We stayed in a cottage for 4 nights. What a nifty place. Free bikes and kayaks made spontaneous activities possible. The pools were clean and very pretty with umbrellas, comfortable chairs and tables. The beach was fantastic - clean sand and plenty of shells. We walked at sunrise with our one-year old and saw dolphins, fish and pelicans each day not 30 yards offshore. A free workout room, tennis courts (check out balls and rackets), and a very quiet street towards the end of the island made for a peaceful stay. We are already planning to return next year - maybe with friends!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I have never left a negative review before (Tripadvisor has always served us well), but this was not at all what I expected. The glowing reviews had me excited. I had already planned to book a week or two with the kids (it was just my husband and I) if we enjoyed it as much as the other reviewers had. Unfortunately, that was not to be. I consider myself to be a very middle of the road traveler. I did not want or need a lot on this trip, a nice stretch of beach, a beach chair and an umbrella and I would have been set. The stretch of beach this property has to be the least desirable on the island, very choppy surf all the time, no dolphins, no nice beach chairs or nice beach umbrellas. They give you a ratty 3-fold chair to bring out and a cheap umbrella that would never withstand the wind off the ocean. We were there 4 days and the chop/wind remained constant, but we biked to other beaches where the waters were calm and the beaches were pristine.
The grounds felt more like a campground or a trailer park than a vacation spot. (not that there is anything wrong with that) I understand that some people may like this, but for the amount paid.... I was really disappointed. The owner, who I am sure is a nice enough guy, was constantly complaining about the guests and what they did wrong. Everything a guest did was personal to him. A couple (not us) took two nice loungers out to the beach...I was thinking what a great idea! You would have thought they stole his Lexus.... He quickly drove his golf cart out there, scolded them and took the chairs back toward the cottages, complaining the entire time that the guests weren't helping return them. A saddlebag was missing off one of the bikes, and we had to listen all about that... It seriously felt like a bad SNL skit. We were just thankful we had bikes to ride so we could ride away from the grounds. Also this is WAY too far out of town for my taste. You had to drive or take a LONG bike ride to get to any place to eat, grab a coffee, find a nice beach. We ended up spending more money than planned, because we ended up booking things to do away from the hotel and going to nicer dinners than we needed just to cheer us up. The rooms/cottages were ok, the bedspreads were that gross cheap nylon kind, the bath towels were nice, but they did not supply towels for the beach (we thought we read they did and did not bring any) We were told we couldn't bring the towels to the beach ( and we didn't break the rules for fear of having to hear about it) so we went without beach towels the entire time. This was not a horrible place, it was just not what I expected or wanted.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank PeteAW
mitchellssandcastles, Owner at Mitchell's Sandcastles, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
Both Kim and myself have worked hard to obtain the trust and support of our guests. We pride ourselves on the service both we and our staff provide. We do not expect every review to be 5 stars and we realize that some guests will ultimately be dissapointed. The old adage being "you can't please everybody". However, I thought a response to this review was in order. Our property sits on 6 1/2 acres of the finest beach in Sanibel. We are surrounded by private beach homes and villas. We have updated all of the cottages and amenities on the property. Our linens are new and our blankets and spreads are top quality. We offer 3 varieties of beach chairs. Our umbrellas are new and come in 2 sizes. Unfortunately the reviewers main complaints pertain to conditions that we have no control over; the wind, water current, and weather conditions. Our location and proximity to most everything on the island is excellant and most of our guests enjoy using our bikes to get to and fro. Sanibel is a very special place and we have been blessed with guests that understand and appreciate our Island . We are not going to provide the "upscale" environment and shopping of Naples, nor the pristine water and beaches of some of the Carribean Islands. While I am sorry that the reviewer was dissatisfied, I find most of their complaints to be inappropriate and unfair.
Joel Kronfeld
Owner/Manager
boston
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I've been going to Mitchell's with friends for 15 years. I'm so glad we decided to stick with them ! Although we have always stayed on the Mitchell's side, this year we decided to stay in # 10 at Forty-Fifteen. This unit was great also. Like other travelers have said, Kim and Joel are really puting their all into this and it shows. Thanks Kim and Joel for making Mitchells' what it is today. See you next year!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Altoona, IA
Reviewed 1 May 2010

We made a fairly short-notice reservation based on other recommendations found on tripadvisor. Mitchell's was able to accommodate us even though we were only staying for two days in the middle of a week. No week minimum! Hooray! Emails and phone calls were returned promptly.

Our cottage (Dunes) was clean and comfortable. It is obvious the new management has been working hard to make their cottages the number 1 on the island, and when we had an unfortunate *ahem* issue with the toilet clogging, maintenance staff was on-hand immediately to take care of the problem. A/C and ceiling fans kept us cool. Full-sized fridge, and decent kitchen area. Flat-screen TV's, too! Comfy beds "felt" new. Free wireless Internet worked with a strong signal.

From the moment we arrived, we felt as though we were family visiting from out of town, rather than faceless visitors who come and go. I have no doubt in my mind any problem I had, management would have taken care of it with a smile, and that means A LOT to me.

Our cottage had an excellent location, just steps from a shell-covered beach. A screened in porch made for bug-free evenings.

I would recommend Mitchell's Sandcastles without hesitation, and I will definitely stay here again should the trade winds blow me back to Sanibel Island. (crossing my fingers)

TR