“Hidden Gem”

Sweet Melissa's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Sweet Melissa's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Casa Ybel
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The owner/chef of this restaurant is phenomenal. Her menu is set up with healthy and gluten free dining options and makes it easy to eat if you have a dietary restriction which is why we picked this place. I had the grouper dinner special half plate which was small but the perfect amount for me especially after sharing 2 appetizers and was delicious but I felt like it was something I could make myself. My bf however had the fish stew which was gigantic and the tomato base for the soup was so flavorful and the stew had so many types of mussels, fish, shrimp, oysters, etc that is is not something I think I could recreate! simply a wonderful dish. Our appetizers were the beet salad which had a few too many beets but was so good my bf who hates beets ate most of it and a beef tartar that I thought was the perfect balance of savory and lightness an appetizer should have.

For dessert we had the flour free chocolate torte which was phenomenal and she served it with a house made orange sorbet.

Most restaurants in a touristy beach town are just so so but this place is truly worth it.

The only thing we didn't feel comfortable with was how under dressed we were, for being in a beach town we didn't think we needed to dress up too much but this place is definitely more upscale.

4  Thank ophelia1924

Reviewed 4 June 2014

A nice change of pace from the normal fish restaurant. A good wine list and inventive, new American dishes.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This was a special evening. Everything is wonderful. The fish soup is beyond any dish I have enjoyed. The bar r qued shrimp is so delicious. This is a special jewel in this little community.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a special event to celebrate just the two of us ... and wanted a special place. The atmosphere was a fit, the menu was a fit and our waitress Helen was VERY attentive.

The food was a disappointment. The Grilled Smoked Beef Tenderloin tasted like it had too much artificial smoke flavoring and came with French fries that were not even stated on the menu as well as tasteless spinach. No other options than the fries were given. For a special night out at those prices I would have expected more. The sweetbread appetizer was equally uneventful.

Our special night out was a disappointment to the palate.

3  Thank SaintPatrick2011
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Sweet Melissa's Cafe is a great alternative for upscale dining on Sanibel Island. Inspiring specials and attentive staff. Be sure to try the special watermelon and heirloom tomato salad-wonderful flavor combination.

1  Thank Teresa T