“Great Vacation”

Gulf Place
Texas
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed 20 September 2009

We had a blast on our vacation. This year, we stayed in Gulf Place Cabanas. The place was cute, but a bit small for the money. Also, the king bed was hard and not very comfortable. The beach is great and pretty secluded. We love all the pools on the property. We really preferred Gulf Place Courtyards which is where we stayed in 2007. The cabanas are suited for very small families or couples. On our next trip to Destin, we will most likely stay closer to town since we were making a trip into town each day. It was about 30 miles round trip between Gulf Place and Destin. We like to run around then hit the beach at about 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon. However, we love the Gulf Place community with the shops, restaurants, and artsy atmosphere. We had a wonderful vacation and also utilized ResortQuest's "Passport To Fun" discounts and tickets.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 17 September 2009

My family and I stayed in Gulf Place Cabanas. We have two children under 5 years of age. It was the perfect spot for us. We went at the end of August and got an incredible value. Working with the owner, Bruce, was a pleasure. I found the accomodation on VRBO. I had debated between a ground floor condo and this 4th floor condo. I am so glad I went with the 4th floor. The view was amazing and it was so wonderful looking out everyday to the beautiful water. I thought perhaps the ground floor condo would be better with two little ones but using the elevators was a breeze and I think ground floor might even have been a bit more hassle because I might have worried about chasing my toddler around when out on the patio. Having the balcony was so nice and there is a nice little spot out there to sit and enjoy the view. Another thing I worried about was space and a quiet place to sleep for my toddler. It really was okay. Although only 800 square feet, the condo was adequate for our needs and as listed, there are bunks off the hallway that my son loved sleeping in. Even with no door, he did well (there was a half bath directly across from the bunks and we'd turn on the vent fan to drown out noise). It was a tight squeeze but we managed to fit my 8 month old in our bedroom, her packnplay fit halfway into the closet, which gave us just enough room. The condo is well maintained and pretty clean--some of the furniture is starting to show some wear--but it was not something that would deter me from going back again. I cooked quite a bit and there are pots and pans and pyrex available. The pool and beach are amazing. We practically had the place to ourselves as it was the end of August and families were busy with kids going back to school. Apparently there are 3 pools available for use at Gulf Place but we only used the one at the Cabanas b/c it was more than adequate. Lots of seating and sun, nice pool and hot tub on a cute little pond with friendly turtles. Beach access was a breeze and the beach itself was lovely soft, white sand. The aquamarine waters were calm and we walked a good 50 yards out before the water even came to our chests! We saw lots of fish, dolphins and even a sting ray! Gulf Place is like its own little resort with cute shops and a few yummy places to eat. We ate at the Beach Bar and Amores Pizza...both delicious and not too expensive.

A few suggestions. If you are planning to visit and want to use the kitchen in 404--bring saran wrap or air tight containers to store leftovers as there are neither of these things. Also, be aware there is no spice rack. There was some salt and pepper in the cupboard and a half used bottle of mustard in the fridge. We left some condiments in the fridge that we bought and didn't want to haul back with us but I'm kind of wondering if the people that clean the place don't take what they want out of the fridge when they clean. FYI, there were some beach chairs there that we used, which was nice. I saw an umbrella under the bed but we brought our own so we didn't use it. Plenty of clean towels in the bathrooms, although we had to break down and buy a roll of toilet paper b/c they only gave us two rolls for the week.

An added bonus--there are washers and dryers on each floor next to the elevators, and free for those staying in the complex.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank TimeTravelerer
louisiana
Reviewed 8 October 2007

We rented a condo directly from an owner for a last minute, end of summer trip to our favorite area. We usually stay in Sandestin so this was our first trip to Santa Rosa. The area was easy to find while being off the beaten path a bit. Easy 15-20 minute drive to heart of Destin but away from the crowded beaches. The beach was pretty and never busy. However we did not find it to be as beautiful as Destin: lots of jellyfish (we never encountered this in Destin), seaweed. The condo property was very nice and only a short walk to the beach. We used the pool although it was close a few times during our stay. Ms. Lucille's Gossip Parlour on the grounds was a nice treat and there were a few clothing stores nearby as well. All in all the property was great if you don't need alot of amenities and want lots of peace and quiet. We still prefer Sandestin but the price was right for a quick trip.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank artsyvixen
Memphis Tennessee
Reviewed 6 October 2007

My husband and I were to attend a wedding on the beach in Santa Rosa and this property is what was suggested that we stay for the wedding on Saturday. 3 night stay required but was no problem. THIS CONDO WAS FANTASTIC!!! The color scheme, the kitchen,the bath and half was a life saver. Unfortunately, for me - I contracted a severe stomach virus on the way down on Friday and totally missed the wedding - spent all three days in bed trying to keep gatorade down with not much success. So, my husband tells me it was one of the nicest places we have stayed - (similar unit 2 floors below on sale for $199,000. ) WiFi in room was great - the bunk beds were great for our luggage rack. Only one closet - but it didn't matter since it was only 2 of us. Not a lot of storage place if you have more than 2 people in the room.Balcony and view was great - and the Gulf Place has a great "community feel" to it. Would have been great if I could have seen my relatives!!! Oh, well, as much as we have travelled - it was bound to happen once. So just suffice to say - it was a great place - but all I cared about was the master bath so close to the master bedroom :)

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank NanLong24
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 March 2006

We absolutely love this place! We come back for my birthday every year in May, it's just a great deal for your dollar. The condos are nicely appointed (not cheesy), and all have ocean views even though it's not on the beach (the small street separating it is not much wider than a city sidewalk). The shops, bike rentals, 2 pools, community events, etc. all make for a great relaxing experience. You will be pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed May 2004
Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort
WaterColor Inn
WaterColor Inn
#2 of 3 in Santa Rosa Beach

Been to Gulf Place? Share your experiences!