“Authentic New Mexican/Mexican Food in Sarasota”
Review of El Toro Bravo

El Toro Bravo
Ranked #28 of 1,071 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: When it comes to Southwest Mexican cuisine, there is only one place in Sarasota that creates a one-of-a-kind dining experience that keeps visitors and locals coming back for more. Family owned and operated, El Toro Bravo combines fresh, flavorful food along with honest prices and outstanding service.
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Each time I eat here, I choose something different because I can't believe the food is as good as it is. As a New Mexico native, I've never before found such authentic food in the style I grew up with in Carlsbad and Taos. If you're in the Sarasota area and craving great Mexican food, El Toro Bravo is the place to go. Ruben and his family obviously take great pride in their food - and it shows.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The wife and I really like this place. It was recommended to us and boy are we glad it was. It is located in a small shopping plaza and parking could get a little tight on Fridays and weekends. Its a small restaurant with very limited outdoor seating and always packed but the staff tries hard to accommodate everyone. The owner and wife are both very courteous as is the staff. I have tried several of their dishes and all have been excellent, but our favorite dish is the chile relleno with the delicous rice and refried beans. Their chips and salsa is the best so far we have had in Sarasota, and we have been to quite a few mexican restaurants in and out of the county. The desserts are awesome and I believe first time visitors are treated to a free little tasty delight. Their margaritas are good and beer very cold. Our waiters have always been friendly and professional and the prices reasonable. We have been back at least six times and will continue to come back and do highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Mexican food here is several cuts above the usual Tex/Mex places. Reuben, the owner is a treasure with his openness and his dishes really hit the mark, especially the chili reneno (sp). Good prices, happy faces full of regular customers. Wife and I have become 2 of those regulars. Check to the hours though, sometimes they can surprise you with the times that they are NOT open.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Not sure how this is rated so high but defnitely not a bad place, just average. We were on vacation and looking for good Mexican food so we went here based on how high this was rated. The server was nice but very confused and got my order wrong, told us the queso was not spicy at all, which it was (for my 3 year old), and took forever to get anything out to us or pick up the check. The salsa had a kick with a hint of smokey, not bad but not awesome. My enchiladas were with yellow cheese and I couldn't detect any additional spice or anything that would make this a special dish. I was supposed to get a beef taco but instead ended up with an additional extra cheese enchilada. However, the fijitas smelled good (another table ordered them...lol)

If you are craving very average Mexican food, make sure to get there early as this place is tiny and packed. We wish we could have rewound the night and gone to Tijuna Flats!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I love Mexican food, and have been looking for some time for a good place to find it ever since I moved to Sarasota in 2011. I am very happy to say that I've finally hit the nail on the head with El Toro Bravo on Stickney Point Road - and friends whom I've brought there agree. It's in a nondescript little strip mall -- made all the more confusing because it is one of TWO Mexican places in the same mall -- ETB is in the MIDDLE of the mall, further to the east than the other. I'll begin by saying that the food is absolutely delightful - haven't had a dish yet that hasn't been enormously pleasing. Their fajitas are just scrumptious -- very fresh, very hot, and very flavorful. Absolutely LOVE their salsa and could live on it, I think - that and their guacamole. I always order an extra dish of the salsa so I can slather it all over the other things I might be enjoying at that meal. I love the margaritas I make myself, but ETB's are worth ordering, and they have a nice selection of beers and wines. The staff are exceptionally friendly and VERY interested in making each diner's experience an excellent one. And I love bringing new friends to ETB - if you're going for the first time, or are bringing along a friend who's never been there before, be sure to let your wait-person know -- they prepare a DELICIOUS special treat to welcome new guests. Reservations ARE recommended, particularly around the dinner hour.

If you're looking for GOOD Mexican food in the Sarasota area, don't miss El Toro Bravo! The only reason I can't give it a 5 is the location, and the fact that it's so small that it can be hard to get a table, and a bit noisy. I am forced to select the "sort of visit" and what I was "here for" - but I can say that I've enjoyed both lunches and dinners at ETB with equal pleasure, and it seems to be a perfectly good choice for couples, families, friends, solo, *OR* (especially in off hours when it may be easier to converse comfortably) business.