“It's lost it's charm.....”

Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I'm writing this to give a different perspective. We have taken our boys to this condo for 9 years straight. Over the past several years we have brought our parents, friends & made some amazing memories at Sarasota Surf & Racquet. We always have stayed on the 1st floor of the Y Building, it is the best you know. Trust me. With 3 active kids, you need the Y building. The property is superior. The condos always very clean. The service is just ok. It used to be wonderful until about 3 years ago. Not sure what changed. Overall it's an unbeatable location & the pools, beach, sunsets, it's a dream vacation.

So why am I peeved? Because last spring break it was completely overloaded with rude obnoxious spring breakers. They were about 17-22 years old & drunk, shouting, and overall an embarrassment to their parents if they even had any there. For the high cost of the condos, I presume parents were the ones who brought them there.... Every single day of our vacation was spent avoiding getting pushed, shoved or literally jumped on by teenagers in the pools. There was NO person to control the situation. The pool was severely over loaded. I yelled at some horny teenage kids throwing these tiny young high school girls around who lost their bikini top. They almost hit some woman's little boy. If I wanted to see drunk teenagers acting like morons, I'd go to Panama City or something. This place is wonderful, but the guests around spring break have certainly gone from families with young children to rude, very loud teens taking over without any supervision. We booked our spring Break 2015 for Long Boat Key next year. Im excited to give another Island a try. I'm a little sad that our 10 year anniversary of spring breaks down there won't include our favorite place. The owners & management might want to know that barf in the halls didn't used to happen a few years ago. What's changed?

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Beckylyn2014
Kerry W, Guest Services at Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

We appreciate your patronage over the years, and are so sorry that the bad behavior of others has made you choose a different vacation destination. Our minimum age requirement to rent a condo is twenty five years of age. We have increased our security staff during Spring Break to try to handle these issues if they occur. We hope that you have a wonderful vacation and might consider returning to our facility again in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here with a 2 other couples for 4th of July weekend. Everything was just rules upon rules (I get it. That's how things remain under control but Geez). You cant do this without that. I came to relax and not be told what to do & security questioning your every move & if you don't have your wrist band on...pfft. We had my nephew and his gf visit us and it took them 30 MINUTES TO FIND PARKING... bc they had no parking for our visitors what-so-ever. Also we couldn't even leave the place bc you will loose your parking space and hope when you get back you find one or you get WALL parking (far). I was sooo excited for this gateway and actually had more fun leaving the hotel and walking around St. Armand's. Read all the reviews and make sure this is the place for you, not sure if its like this every day or it was just for the 4th of July.

It is very clean, organized and the apartment was roomy BUT beware when you book a room for 6. We did and when we arrive there were two twin beds, and a queen bed so thankfully the other couple brought an inflatable (just in case)...if not a small leather couch would have been the answer.

From my experience I am staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Apartments close to the beach are better & double check bed occupancy! Twins aren't meant fo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lissette G
Kerry W, Guest Services at Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay at our property. Our guest guidelines are to ensure a safe, fair, and peaceful environment for our guests when the property is booked to capacity. Limited parking spaces and wristbands were part of the guidelines which were sent to our guests in advance of the Holiday weekend. The maximum occupancy in a two bedroom unit is six people. All of our units are individually owned and the bedding will vary, but the bedding is listed in the unit's description. If you do consider a return visit, please contact our staff and we will be happy to assist you in booking a unit that better fits your needs.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We just came back from a 6 day vacation at SSRC. We had not been there in years as we had chosen other destinations, so even though we were expecting a great vacation as in previous years, we didn't know if anything had changed. We chose unit T1104. We were extremely pleased with this unit. Whatever you were looking for as far as kitchen utensils you would open the drawers and find them. The bedrooms were great, beds were very comfy, pillows not so much but that was minimal. The bathrooms were clean, lots of towels. We will definitely choose this unit again. The view was spectacular. Only thing that I would change is the lighting in the hallways. At night getting out of the elevator to walk to the unit it is quite dark and only lighting are some little lights that come up when you walk by them. Other than that the crowd was great. Lots of families with kids. Our girls loved the pool, beach and sand was amazing. The barbecue area I think when people are checking in, personnel should let their guests know that if they have not reserved the barbecue area they should not be hanging out under it while others are grilling. We reserved it one day and had two guys just sitting there taking up the sitting area under the shed and not to be rude we ended up having to eat outside of the shed area. Thankfully there is plenty of sitting right outside of it, but it would have been nice to have all of us sit together. Other than that everything was great and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ImetSerge2002
Kerry W, Guest Services at Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are so happy that you had an awesome vacation and enjoyed all the amenities and the spectacular view from your unit. We will let the owner of T1104 know how happy you were with their unit, they will like knowing that guests have enjoyed the hard work they have put into their unit. We hope to see you again!!!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

As a teenager my family would vacation at the Sarasota Surf and Racquet club every year. Now that I am older and have teenagers myself, I vacation at the Sarasota Surf and Racquet club. The rooms are great. They include a living room, and a full kitchen. I love staying in the D building because they have grills in front of the condos, but it sells out fast. I have decided to move up to the tower this year and will stay there for the first time July 6th, 2014. The staff is always nice, and the beach is incredible. The resort is gated so only guest can enter the property. The beach is never crowded and seems, somewhat, secluded, but you are only minutes from stores, restaurants and the Marina. I have traveled the world, been to many, many places, but this is where I have chosen to vacation with my family.

Room Tip: D building is quiet and has a grilling area in front of the condo, but is the farthest walk to the b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Kerry W, Guest Services at Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, Frank. It is so nice to hear that you are bringing the next generation to the Surf & Racquet for your family vacations. We look forward to seeing you in July.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Having wanted to visit Siesta Key for years and to finish off our 2 week holiday in Florida after the full-on adventure in Orlando, after research I opted for staying at the Sarasota Surf & Racquet Club. This was for a couple of reasons - great reviews, the fact that we could have a 3-night break which many places in Siesta Key dont allow and that it was by the most gorgeous beach for total chillaxing!

We opted for unit D101 - right by the tennis courts. It was perfect for us as our two boys wanted to play tennis - we did it as a family for one session and another time, they bounced out of bed and as the court was free, they went straight out and had an hour playing first thing in the morning - perfect. The unit was lovely - clean and quite quirky with a beach theme which suited us down to the ground. And a couple of minute stroll to the beach through lovely grounds - perfect.

8 - 10 minute drive to Siesta Key Village but our both sets of parents who were also holidaying with us, arranged for one of the free buggy taxis (just tipping required) to take them into the Village so all could have a drink. We opted for the beach, a beer and the magnificient sunset whilst the boys had a run about at sundowner time. Now that's a holiday for us!

Our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer at the Sarasota Surf & Racquet Club but I'm sure we'll return again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Kerry W, Guest Services at Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for choosing Sarasota Surf & Racquet for your first visit to Siesta Key. We are glad to hear that D101 was the perfect unit and location for your family, and you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that you can chillax on our beach the next time you cross the pond.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

One of the best places to stay at one of the best beaches in the world. You have access to a private beach that is already set up with access to free beach chair usage. The site has two beautiful pools, fitness center and an awesome place to watch the sunset! I would recommend to everyone

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rade M

It is nice to hear that you love the amenities and always enjoy your stay at The Surf & Racquet. We have to agree with you Rade, the sunsets are awesome and the beach is the best. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this resort for one week in May 2014. This was our second visit to Siesta Key beach and I should mention that the place we stayed at previously was amazing (see my previous review) so I went into this resort expecting it to be nice, but not as nice as my previous condo on Siesta Key.

That said, we had a very pleasant stay. I will say that the resort itself is stunning - the property, pools, grounds, and beach are very well kept up. I did find that a couple common areas need a bit of TLC. Specifically, the elevators in the Tower (T) building needs upgrading. The carpet is a bit old in the elevators and what is with that blue canvas cloth covering the walls inside the elevator. Other than that, the grounds and facilities were top notch.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit in the Tower Building (T506). I specifically booked that unit based on the photos on the website and pretty much got what I was expecting. The highlights of the unit included the upgraded kitchen and bathrooms. However, this unit still needs work. It is clear the owner has invested in key upgrades, but simple upgrades have been overlooked. For example, closest doors, trim work, etc. There was a closet door in the front entrance that didn't open/close properly. Something that small and simple to fix should be addressed. The unit also needs a good paint job. The furnishings were comfortable within the unit.

Overall, a great stay. Good value for what I paid as I booked during the "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" special. I'd stay here again for the rate I paid this year, but otherwise would go back to my previous spot further down the beach (Crescent Siesta Key). If I were to stay again, I would probably look for another unit.

Pros: private beach, pools, grounds, facilities.
Cons: BBQs (charcoal instead of gas) and the enclosed balconies.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Kerry W, Guest Services at Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

We are glad to hear that you had a very pleasant stay with us and found the facility to be top notch. We appreciate your feedback about the property. The new flooring in the Tower elevators should be installed next week. We hang the blue canvas cloth covering to protect the walls of the elevator when a unit is having renovations done. We will also pass along your suggestions to the owner of the unit that you stayed in. We hope that you will visit us again.
Kerry Wanglund, Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Tropical Beach Resorts
#2 of 21 in Sarasota
Lido Beach Resort
Lido Beach Resort
#12 of 50 in Sarasota

Been to Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club? Share your experiences!