“2014 week of the 4th”
Review of Sarasota Sands

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sarasota
Sarasota Sands
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We tried Sarasota Sands as guests of a timeshare holder. The buildings and grounds are well-maintained. They have that old Florida 70s feel to it, but this doesn't detract from our great stay. The staff is so kind and willing to go the extra mile to help their guests. The wifi is a bit poor indoors so I used my iPad on my little porch and at pool and received much faster wifi. The free coffee in the morning is delicious and the linen service in the mornings is a plus. The beach may not be as smooth as Siesta Key but the shelling is phenomenal! Some have commented about the noisy AC and yes, the back bedroom unit is a bit loud, but we were so tired from exploring each day that the noise didn't bother us. At least it's a cold AC! Bathrooms are roomy and the little kitchen is sufficient. The kids liked their pull-out daybeds and slept peacefully.

Room Tip: No washer and dryer in unit so bring detergent and quarters. The little laundry room is clean and wa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MP805

Reviewed 9 June 2014

When I was much younger, my grandparents used to own a timeshare here. Almost every summer, I would spend a week here making many memories. It's been more than 10 years since I had been to Florida and Sarasota Sands. My boyfriend and I decided to vacation this June in Sarasota on a whim. I knew immediately that I wanted to stay here. Not much has changed about the place and I mean that in a good way. A very nostalgic trip for me and I wonder why it took me so long to get back here.

My boyfriend and I opted for the studio unit which rents for a total of $650 a week in the off season. Of course, studio units are small and we knew that going in to the situation. I had been used to my grandparents 2 bedroom units in years past. Our unit came with a small mini kitchen equipped with two burners, a microwave, toaster oven, and all the dishes, pots/pans, and utensils you would need. We spent most of our stay eating at area restaurants, so this small kitchen was the perfect size. Our unit was on the 5th floor, which actually had an amazing view and was very private in the mornings and evenings. My only critiques are as follows: I wish the bathroom sink area was just a tad bigger. The bed was not the most comfortable. And the AC unit had a tendency to be super loud and drown out the TV. However, my boyfriend and I are a young couple and these are minor issues. I think the studio units are perfect for young couples/travelers, but I wouldn't recommend it for an older couple.

My favorite thing about the resort is you are literally right on the beach. Your view is amazing and because you are on the end of Lido Key, it's a very private section of the beach. The animal life is great if you like that and the beaches really are the best in the whole United States. While we stayed, we saw many devil rays and a couple manatees.

Staff is nice and they keep the grounds clean. Plenty of activities on the grounds including shuffleboard, arcade games, hot tub, exercise room, swimming pool, billiards, tennis, and air hockey. There really is something for everyone. Area attractions include the Mote Marine Aquarium, The Ringling Museum, and many outdoor recreational activities. Many great restaurants in the area.

Traditionally, the resort has always catered to older retirees and their grandchildren. However, on this trip I saw a great mixture of young families, couples, and retirees. I think if you are a young couple in your 20's and you are looking for a quiet, laid back, and affordable trip to the beach, then this is a great option. If you are looking for non-stop partying, this resort and the town of Sarasota is probably not your thing. Also, if you are looking for an expensive, luxurious resort then this isn't your place either. Sarasota Sands is an older place where you come to relax and make memories. Yes, the decor is stuck in the 1980's but who really cares? I see some people complain about having to pay extra for beach towels and chairs. I don't think $2.00 to rent a beach chair or umbrella is bad at all (and I don't have a lot of money!) and if you didn't pack a beach towel, that's really more of a reflection of how unprepared you were when packing. I always pack a beach towel if I know I'm going swimming.

I had an amazing week at Sarasota Sands and I can't wait to go back. I hope that in the future, I'll be able to bring my kids here too. I already miss this place!

Room Tip: I think the studio units are perfect for young couples/travelers, but I wouldn't recommend it fo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FilmFatale
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I am staying for the 3rd time in Sarasota Sands. It is an extremely friendly, family timeshare on beautiful Lido Key, right on the Gulf of Mexico. It is a quarter of a mile north of the Ritz at the north end of Lido. Beautiful water, beautiful sand! Yesterday we saw a manatee and a very large snook! We have many times seen dolphin as well. Wake up and walk the beach, 1.5 miles down from beautiful St. Armand's Circle for world famous shopping and dining.

Room Tip: I have stayed on all three sides and like them all! My favorite is the 2nd floor on the North wing.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank AnnHankinson
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This is an older property that is kept up very well and has been updated recently. My parents have a timeshare here and we have stayed here with them and with our family a few times. The beach is the draw as it's one of the best in the country. The units run from 1 BR studios to 3 BR. This is a great place. It's Old Florida style. Nice pool, sauna, jacuzzi, shuffleboard, BBQ grills, and spectacular sunsets. Minutes to great shopping and restaurants. We like it so much, I just bought the timeshare from my parents who decided to finally let it go since they live only minutes south of there. This is a place to relax and take in the beach and pool and enjoy a nice relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank drjohn54
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My in-laws had a timeshare unit at Sarasota Sands and my husband and I ended up going here one year when they were unable to go. Since then, I've completely fallen in love with the resort. It's older and a little smaller than the newer resorts, but it is so full of charm that it really doesn't matter. In fact, the smaller size it's part of its charm. Even though the resort is older, it is well maintained and clean (and I'm a cleanaholic). The beach is the best I've ever been to and it's so nice not to have a ton of people crowded all around you. Great for shelling and your vacation is actually relaxing. On top of that, you're only a couple minutes' drive from the great shopping and dining in Saint Armand's Circle.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank OurTnFamily
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My parents have owned two weeks at this resort for almost 15 years! I got to use a week by myself this year and we had a GREAT time! The unit was nice and clean, all the appliances and the AC worked great, and the staff was very pleasant and accommodating. For an older, smaller resort, this one is situated in an ideal location. It is out on the end of Lido Key, with a nature preserve right next to and behind it. The beach is beautiful white sand and it is so close to Sarasota and all the attractions that you'll hardly notice the drive when you leave your unit! Bravo!

Room Tip: Studio units do not include a dishwasher. Ocean side end units include a patio. Rooms on the south s...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aubrey_25_99
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This beach is awesome. Saw lots of fish, and mantarays. Great beach for relaxing. Sarasota Sands is not the type resort you stay at if your flying in. You need to bring your own chairs, and beach towels. This was a big inconvience. They had lounge chairs throughout the property, but wont allow you to bring them to the beach, saying the salt water messes them up. This is a resort really buy new ones!!!! The chairs they provided were so low to the ground I could barely get out of it!!! And they charge $2 a day. Horrible!!!! They charge you for everything here even the racquets to play tennis. Loved the mirrors in the rooms, and the ice machine. Probably will go to another resort on the Gulf of Mexico.

• Stayed: September 2013