“Great Concept, Even Greater Disappointment!”
Review of G.WIZ - The Science Museum - CLOSED

G.WIZ - The Science Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: GWIZ is a 501(c)(3) science and technology center nestled on the edge of Sarasota Bay in downtown Sarasota. The mission of GWIZ is to be the gateway to lifelong adventures in science. With a focus on STEM Education, we are in the business of igniting imaginations and creating that 'a-ha' moment for people of all ages. GWIZ offers numerous interactive zones focusing on all things science, a critter habitat, and a Fab Lab. Visitors also have several program options such as summer camps, Lifelong Learning, birthday parties, Educational Outreach, and the list goes on! We believe there is great value in embodied learning, learning that sticks with ya' ... come get nerdy with GWIZ!
Sarasota, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great Concept, Even Greater Disappointment!”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I took my son to G. Wiz after hearing friends and other teachers talk about the museum and its hands-on approach to science. Well, I took my special-needs son and a friend there one Saturday afternoon. We were there during the Pirates and Buried Treasure exhibit and we were very excited about seeing it.

Excitement turned to disappointment as we went through the museum. Most of the hands-on portion of the museum is old and in dire need of updating. My son was less-than enthused as we went through, trying to get him excited about the experiments. He was bored and not really understanding some of the concepts.

Many of the exhibits were broken or in need of repair. The one mechanical portion of the Pirates and Buried Treasure exhibit was broken. The eatery was lacking and you can tell that they had a cafeteria there at one time.

This place is sad and not a great representation of the things we have to offer in Sarasota. My suggestion is to either sink more money into it and update it, or close it altogether.

Visited April 2012
5 Thank motowngirl1967

Sarasota, Florida, United States
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“What a waste...”
Reviewed 13 December 2012

What a complete waste of time and money! I know that it's a challenge keeping a mini-science program like this alive, but it's really time to just bury the place. It was disappointing to our 9 year old as much as us. The exhibits are old and the place is tired...and when I expressed a little dissatisfaction the woman at the register couldn't have cared less. It's over-priced and after 10 minutes you'll be singing the lyrics to that old song, "Is that all there is?"

Visited January 2012
8 Thank SkipCohen
GWIZ S, Public Relations Manager at G.WIZ - The Science Museum, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with GWIZ. We apologize that your experience was not acceptable. Rest assured the new management is listening and working hard to bring Sarasota a brand new GWIZ.
Sarasota, F
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Kind of fun but needs updating”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

When I have nieces and nephews in town, I try to get to G. Wiz. They seem to enjoy it but with more excitement from their iPads, I know we won't stay there long. IT could use an update

3 Thank Siesta_Key_Heart
Thank you for visiting us so often in the past! The new management at GWIZ is working hard to do just what you've suggested ... UPDATE! Keep you eyes and ears open for the brand new GWIZ!
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Not worth it!”
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

I have only been here 2 times and i am never going back! My first visit was nice since they had a cool human anatomy exhibit, but i went back a few months ago and was highly disappointed! They charge way too much for the play area, which are very old and dirty pieces of equipment!

3 Thank Tarabutler
Wichita, Kansas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not worth the admission price”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I've been to a number of science/children's museums and this is the worst. Pretty boring, kids age 7-10 probably would get the most of it, but it's not set up to really draw them into the activities. Everything's in one large room, with just stations every 10 feet or so throughout. It wasn't real busy when we were there, but if it had been during school trips I imagine it would have been incredibly chaotic because of the vast room and free play atmosphere it is. Several of the displays didn't work correctly. The little kids area was nothing impressive either, and fully accessible by the too big kids as well as didn't contain the toddlers from wandering into the area where they could get run over. There is a special exhibit on Medical History on the top floor right now, was hoping it would be neat, but again not too impressive. Overall, totally not worth the admission price for the visit.

Visited July 2012