“very disappointed in service and value” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place Sarasota / Bradenton Airport

Hyatt Place Sarasota / Bradenton Airport
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
SW Florida
“very disappointed in service and value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

The booking agent really pushed what a value this room was after I objected to the price.  She indicated there was a living area separate from the bedroom and a complimentary full breakfast.  The living area is separated from the bedroom by a 4-5 foot wide partial screen.  When you have small kids, and you've been told these areas are separate, this is not what you expect. Breakfast was way below average, and by no means a full breakfast.  At best it was continental, and not a very good one.  I've had better at Holday Inn Express. Tried to play DVDs using built in connections in room.  They didn't work.  Needed the DVDs, because there is only basic cable provided, and no children's programming. Called the front desk upon arrival for 2 more sets of towels, as we had 2 adults and 2 kids in the room and only 2 sets were provided.  I was told there were some available at the front desk and I could come down to get them anytime.  Somewhat flabbergasted, I said "There is no one available to bring them up?"  The response was "no, and there won't be for at least 30 minutes!"  I said "that will be fine, thank you"  When they did bring the towels, I was given 2 bath towels.  We never did get a bathmat, so we ended up using one towel for that to avoid slipping on the floor. What?!  I realize I overpaid for this room because I called last minute.  But, I have never been told to come get my own towels?  Again, not even at much cheaper hotels.Basically, this room provided us with a place where we could shower (there is no bathtub)  then drip dry; all go to sleep at the same time in the same room - my kids are 2 and 4, and then have a lousy breakfast before checking out.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mangemutt
HPSarasota, General Manager at Hyatt Place Sarasota / Bradenton Airport, responded to this review, 6 October 2009
It is true that although we have the largest rooms in our area that we are not two room suites. We will follow up with our national reservations department to ensure they are fully disclosing this fact. We have followed up with our staff to ensure that all guests requests are handled appropriately and promptly. We do have tubs in our rooms with two queen size beds but it is possible this guest requested a king size bed. We do have a full hot breakfast for purchase along with Starbucks drinks. The continental breakfast is complimentary with all rooms. We are continually reviewing our offerings in our breakfast area to ensure the quality is consistent and in line with the mandatory Hyatt Place standards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2009

My husband, son and I visited Sarasota for a college tour. I picked the hotel from a travel website. We really weren't there for leisure, more for information on the college. I expected your run of the mill, 2 double beds, mini coffee pot, possibly minibar, generic hotel room. We were pleasantly surprised to find that our room was actually a mini suite, complete w/ small living room that included a SECTIONAL couch w/ ottoman, computer desk w state of the art connections, free wi-fi, coffee STATION, wide screen tv that rotated between the living room and bedroom, two QUEEN beds w/ wonderful mattresses, comfy bed linens, a marble separate sink w/ vanity and a pretty view. The room was decorated beautifully. The closet space was tucked behind the tv wall unit w/ a mirrored door. The tub/toilet space was a bit tiny, but really not impractical. The service at this hotel was topnotch. The foyer was welcoming and inviting. There was a free breakfast in a friendly, modern dining room w/ impressive options. Not just coffee, juice, stale bagel! The hotel just opened in December '08 and it was IMMACULATE. The only draw back was location. It is right across from the airport. We never heard airplane noise, but it isn't really near much and not within walking distance of anything. We had to drive to town, the college, and the museum, but it only took a few minutes. I would have to say that the Hyatt Place is a Sarasota jewel!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank iamjunebug1354
faridabad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2009

this hotel has opened recently and i stayed here for the first time. the room was very spacious. there was a nice lounge / working section. the washbasin was outside the bathroom, which seemed a little odd initially, but one gets used to it.

the best part is the guest kitchen, where you have breakfast, which has a very homely feel. the lobby is also subdued and has a coffee counter which is very accessible

• Liked — the guest kitchen
  • Disliked — the shower
  • Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank akshat08
Port Charlotte, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at the new Hyatt Place in Sarasota on Thursday, January 16th. This hotel is located, literally, right across University Pkwy. from the Sarasota/Bradenton airport. Though we saw a hotel shuttle, you could actually cross University and walk to the airport terminal if you went carryon.

We live about an hour south of here and frequently fly out of SRQ. When possible, we stay at a local hotel for the previous evening when we have an early morning flight (makes the morning much easier). Also, there are many great restaurants in Sarasota and, as well, great shopping, so staying the night before is kind of a bonus. We have tried virtually every airport area hotel and have eagerly awaited the opening of this new Hyatt brand.

The night of our stay also happened to be the Grand Opening Night of the hotel, though we noticed in mid-December that it had already had it's soft opening and there were guests staying. Parking is plentiful, easy, and close to the entrance. We self-parked and walked into the lobby - check-in kiosk on the right, another further into the lobby, but a very eager, friendly hostess beat us to the self check-in. All the reservation info was correct and we were on to our room on the second floor within moments. Also, we were given an invitation to join the opening festivities which included drinks and food from five to eight.

The room is the Hyatt Place style (see my review for the Hyatt Place at the Denver Airport from 12/08). Kind of a mini-suite feel. Upon entering, a large sofa area with ottoman on the right (the sofa is a sleeper) and on the left a mini-kitchen area (fridge, some open cabinents, coffee and tea maker faced by a work desk with task lamp, outlets, ergonomic work chair and phone.

Proceeding into the room you pass the flat screen, swivel TV (42" I believe). Here you will find all sorts of connectors for Ipods, computers, cell phones, etc. In addition, I don't think I've ever been in a hotel with so many accessible outlets - no more looking behind the curtains or trying to iron with the iron plugged behind the headboard. You then enter the bed area (it is not a separate room, just separated from the living area). To the right was an extremely comfortable king bed with bedside lights, small bedside tables that held the clock/radio and another phone. Beautiful fresh linens. Plenty of pillows and extras in the closet by the bath area. (Also a "cuddle-up" blanket rolled up in the living area). The bath area was directly across from the bed. Single sink, stone countertop, small chest of three drawers (top one held the hairdryer). Small mirrored closet with plenty of hangers and the iron and ironing board. Portico toiletries included two bar soaps and shampoo and conditioner. I would have like hand lotion as well and thought the amenities were somewhat meager. Also would have liked bottled water (gratis) in the room. The shower/toilet area is tiny. Only a shower and toilet, big fresh towels and great waterfall showerhead. Still, really small.

Our biggest complaint about the room, and really the only one of any consequence, was the climate control. The room has its own heating/cooling unit at the foot of the bed by the window. Very close to the bed and though I am a small woman, I managed to knock into it several times when leaving the bed. Additionally, we felt we had no control over the airflow - you could set the thermostat and the airflow to lo/med/hi. The unit shut on and off all night with a great deal of noise and airflow. I even commented to my husband that on my side of the bed it felt like a wind tunnel each time the unit turned on. Not the least conducive to a restful night before an early flight.

Every employee was spot on trained and couldn't have done more for us. In the lobby is lots of seating, at least two computers for airline checkin (though I believe you could access the internet in general as well). We didn't get a chance to eat at the hotel as we had plans in Sarasota, but they do have a cafe area where they serve, I think, drinks and small meals and snacks. My husband went down in the morning and returned with coffee and a very good blueberry muffin.

Looking out our window, we saw a small pool and what appeared to be a wading pool surrounded by umbrellaed tables and chairs (too cold right now).

Fresh, bright, new - a step up from all the airport area hotels. We paid AAA $179 night, which is not cheap, but pretty much in line other hotels during the Sarasota "season". For early flights out of Sarasota, you almost can't be closer (though I think there's a new Hampton Inn being built across the street).

The climate control was almost a deal breaker for us, but we'll give it another shot. We met the hotel owner and his son and family at the opening and my husband (himself a business owner) wants to share his thoughts about what we liked so much and the one thing that might keep us from coming back. Yet, overall, it was a very good experience.

If this puts you off, our best suggestion for an airport hotel is about a five minute drive down US 41 - Hotel Indigo (see my review). If you stay anywhere along Fruitville Rd. or University Parkway, you are staying, in my opinion, at an "airport" hotel.

• Liked — location, style, cleanliness
  • Disliked — climate control was very annoying
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank aerofl