“Soccer Showcase”

Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
“Soccer Showcase”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Holiday Inn has really stepped it up. Décor of the hotel was really really nice. Kids really enjoyed the spa area, parents enjoyed the lobby and outside fire pit area. Would defiantly stay here again.
The sports grill food was very tasty, just a bit understaff. Management need to pay close attention to that, I'm sure they knew far in advanced that the hotel was going to booked up and that this Soccer Showcase was going. Being that it was listed as a choice of hotels through the Soccer Club.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Hungarian first
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 10 days in August while we were identifying longer term housing in the area. Scott was wonderful at check in. He made sure we had enough space in our room as we had extra baggage due to relocating. He also made sure we had a microwave in the room since we would be staying so long. He was always friendly and professional when we were leaving or returning to the hotel.

The room and bathroom were very spacious and the decorations were modern. There were plenty of plug-ins for electronics. The commons areas were nicely decorated and inviting. The spa area was better than expected. I especially enjoyed the gym, pool and steam room. There was also a hot tub and sauna. Other perks included a restaurant that offered happy hour specials and a coffee bar.

At the end of 10 days I only had two complaints. First, the wireless internet would disconnect often so I would have to reload the Holiday Inn connection page several times on many different occasions to continue using the internet. Second, guests staying the last few days made it difficult to get to sleep and/or stay asleep. We were informed that soccer teams were staying over the weekend. It was common to hear kids yelling and running in the halls at night and in the morning.

Despite these issues, it was a positive experience overall and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A room higher up and down a hall would probably decrease the noise from other guests.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JamieLynnM
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My family second time staying at this hotel on a Labor Day weekend. Clean rooms and the staff was great for the most part. Checked out Sunday 9/01 and the front desk lady was a bit rude. Defiantly didn't want to be there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Longwood, FL
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very nice! It was rated as a 3-star on the website we booked through, and I would say it was solidly that!

Bathroom clean, comfortable bed, nice lobby, incredibly friendly staff (particularly the young lady who checked us in). Hotel was well-kept and a pleasant place to stay.

I'm seriously fussy, so here's the negatives:
The hotel was full of kids attending a soccer tournament in town. Because of the layout of the hotel (rooms overlooking an open concept lobby) it was noisy. Might request a hotel down one of the corridors next time.
Some furniture is showing wear - desks and edges of dressers are chipped, the leg fell off my ottoman, but nothing really remarkable. Just something I noticed.
Then, as I was writing this review, I moved the ottoman to fix the leg and found a pair of flip flops under it! Um.....they're not mine? So, questionable vacuuming, maybe. But, overall the room/hotel at least seemed really clean.

• Stayed August 2013
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Brilliant hotel!
I will start by saying that I can't remember ever staying in a hotel with better front desk reception service. Mark was the guy on reception during the days of my stay and he could teach them a thing or two at the 5 star hotels I've stayed at. He is a real asset to this hotel, what a breath of fresh air!

The hotel is pretty new by the looks of it and I found it to be very comfortable. The room was very well appointed and I thought the bed was fabulous. The pillows were great! The bathroom was clean and functional, maybe not the fanciest but more than acceptable.

The breakfasts were not overpriced as is often the way in hotels these days. I very much enjoyed the food.

The location of the hotel is a little off the beaten path with not much nearby but this was no problem for me.

My only regret is that they don't have an outside pool.

All in all this was a great stay and I would go out of my way to return in the future.

Thanks to the whole team.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
hisrq-gm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Ron and Kristin,
Thank you so much for the great feedback on your stay with us here at The Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport. We are so happy that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. We pride ourselves on our staff, and agree with you on your comments about Mark.
Thank you again, and hope to see you back for another fantastic stay experience.

Regards,
Marshall Williamson
Sanibel Island, Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We were back in Sarasota for one night and found the Holiday Inn on Priceline for a good price. We know Sarasota very well but had a difficult time finding this hotel. It is listed as an airport hotel, but it is not in the immediate vicinity, not amongst the group that abut the airport right off University Parkway. This is along the eastern side of the airport in a very commercial area.
We walked into a lovely lobby with a cascading waterfall, a bright and airy atrium and the sound of a happy crowd at the bar. Our room was simple but modern and quiet.
Being a newer hotel, everything still felt fresh. However, the furniture is of very poor quality and the beginning of wear and tear is beginning to show. The bathroom is clean and adequate, although a pre fab vinyl shower stall is more in keeping with a 2 or 2.5 star hotel, not a 3 star. It would have been a better long term plan were the company to have used better furniture and tiled the bathroom. In another year or two, this will need to be redone or lose a star in its ratings. As for now, if the price is right, it is a good option. One suggestion, if you do not like very high, short pillows bring your own. The front desk has many requests for better pillows, but apparently Holiday Inn uses these in every location.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanessa D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Vanessa D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling for business since the beginning of the year. This hotel by far is the best. The staff here are very friendly and by far the best I have seen. Scott at the front desk has been made me feel like I'm coming back home for a visit. This makes traveling easier considering I am here more than I'm home. Cecilia in sales has gone above and beyond for myself and my co-workers staying here.

The dining is also very good. a very nice surprise for hotel food. The wait staff are very good as well. Especially, Jay, Sandy and Wayne.

I have to say.... good job!

Give this place a try.... you will not be disappointed.

The previous post about the noise level can be an issue if you are a light sleeper. Ask for a room in one of the halls. They are not as loud.

• Stayed August 2013
hisrqgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you so very much for your comments about Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport. We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud that we have succeeded and you enjoyed your stay with us. Jay, Sandy and Wayne are very pleased and excited with your comments. I look forward to serving you in the near future.
Best Regards