“Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Great variety of sushi all prepared fresh, the menu changes all the time based on the available fish, presentation and variety is the best around, try the salmon and tuna burst

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Having lived in Japan; having a Japanese family, I am pleased to finally find a Japanese restaurant that serves Japanese food. Not so called Japanese-Korean-Chinese-Thai fusion.
The chef and the staff have created a FIRST CLASS sushi-ya without paying first class prices

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were not sure what to expect when we drove up to this restaurant located in a strip mall. But, from the time we walked through the doors, we were happy and very impressed. The space itself is lovely, and the sushi was just outstanding. Beautifully presented, delicious, high quality and unusual, we were impressed and very satisfied. Staff is lovely as well. If you love sushi (which we do) this is a MUST!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Having seen the good reviews on Trip Advisor, and with a yen (and perhaps dollars) for a Japanese meal, we ventured out to Vizen Restaurant. Truth be told, the impression one gets as you approach and park in front of the restaurant is not particularly positive. (A tattoo parlor is a few store fronts from the restaurant.) The Vizen experience started when I made a telephone reservation. The woman taking my call asked whether we were bringing children -- it seems they are not allowed to dine at this wonderful establishment. I found that question more than a bit off-putting. Then, she told me that they have a very strict dress code, no tank tops, bathing suits, etc. etc. The next thing I was waiting to ask me for was my IQ, college alma mater(s) and net worth. Finally, as we arrived and were seated at this bastion of culinary excellence (???), the waitress told the women that they must place all of their bags in a woven basket on the floor. I was waiting for Colonel Klink to show up next in this experience. The place was absolutely empty, depressing environment, very very limited menu, and with all of the above -- we decided to pass on the meal and made a fast exit. The proprietress was quite surprised by our quick exit. I guess this place has a lack of self-awareness, beyond the fact that they seem not to know much about making people feel good about the experience. We ended up going to Ruth Chris Steak House which provided friendly, attentive, helpful service, good atmosphere and really good food. How does one say "avoid like the plague" in Japanese?

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We love sushi and sashimi and after reading all the rave reviews were eager to try Vizen. The fish did taste fresh, but we were not impressed with the food that we had. The sashimi portions were very small compared to what we are used to and the rolls were very small as well for the price. We have had more creative rolls, and the sauces on the plate, while tasty, were tiny little dots that you could hardly enjoy with the sushi. There are other wonderful sushi restaurants in Sarasota. In our opinion, over priced for what you get.