“Beautiful animals and great organization for rescue”

Big Cat Habitat and Gulf Coast Sanctuary
Ranked #13 of 150 things to do in Sarasota
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Big Cat Habitat and Gulf Coast Sanctuary provides a sanctuary "for life" for the exotic animals currently calling the sanctuary home. Our goal is to create habitats that mimic native environments and are complete with a staff that can provide daily behavioral, sensory, and manipulative enrichment which is the basis for a happy healthy animal in captivity. As we grow and open our habitat to more rescues we will provide the same excellent care while educating the public.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We decided to check out the Big Cat Habitat and we are glad we did! It was incredible to be so close to these amazingly HUGE animals. Hearing about the way the organization rescues these animals and cares for them is wonderful. I'm glad there are people like this to help these animals when no one else would know how to.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"all ages"
in 51 reviews

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Big Cat is only open half of the year, but the ticket price includes a show with lions, tigers and a chimp. Kids love visiting. There is a petting zoo and area to views the lions, tigers and bears (oh my!) in cages. Their liger (half lion-half tiger) is amazing. I was very surprised at how many animals are on site at this sanctuary/retirement home. The owners clearly see the animals as family members and treat them very respectfully.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Great place to take the kids!!
Animals seemed well taken care of. - show was fun!

Grandkids enjoyed feeding the bears and lions!!

Petting zoo was fun -- liked watching the antics of a couple of the escape artist goats!!

1  Thank Dr Tim T
Reviewed 30 April 2014

recommend it highly! It was wonderful for everyone and I enjoyed it a lot! I especially loved bringing in my sketchbook to draw the animals how they would naturally be in the wild! A must-see!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This place is amazing. The show is fun and I loved seeing so many people with children enjoying the artists and animals. I felt such great peace here. The animals are happy, calm, loved and I could feel the comfort they felt being in this place. I love that the artists explain the plight of animals kept as pets that should never have been pets, and how they have stepped up to protect these animals. Very happy to know they are taking care of these wild animals that no longer would survive in the wild.

I purchased a beautiful leather bracelet for myself and wish I had bought a bunch more to give as gifts and or more for myself haha. They cost $15.00 and $17.00 dollars depending on larger or smaller thickness. The gentlemen making and selling the bracelets had an act in the show. It was fun to talk to him about his history and snap a few pictures.

I highly recommend this place for families, couples or someone who just wants to enjoy the peaceful tranquility that this place provides.