“ROACHES!! Beware!!!Not the first person to have them as guests..August 6th”

Americas Best Value Inn Downtown Sarasota
Ranked #41 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
“ROACHES!! Beware!!!Not the first person to have them as guests..August 6th”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The place is run down and dirty.. Disgusting carpeting and even nastier bathrooms... No need for a long review and rant, but I'm not the first to spend the night with 2"+ ROACHES..
There were also 7 Mosquitos waiting for me in the comfortable humidity of the room as I entered.. I counted every one I killed before going to sleep the first night..
I WILL be asking for a full refund and avoiding this place at all costs.. Don't be fooled by the enticing price tag, it's not even worth the $50 a night..
I'm not writing this review upset, my goal is to save the next person from this place..

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Some5one

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
riverview
Reviewed 22 May 2013

For the area $89 a night is about half price and yet the clean newly appointed rooms and big pool are really nice. Its a simple place, but then you are supposed to be out enjoying the amazing attractions right next door. Easy access to St Armonds Circle for a short trip after being out for the evening. The staff was friendly and helpful too. They stay full so book ahead. Best to call direct to book cause online sites like hotels.com rarely get it right.

Room Tip: Be sure to pick smoking or nonsmoking if you have a preference. Second floor rooms have beautiful va...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Magnum123Riverview
ABVISRQMANAGER, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Downtown Sarasota, responded to this review, 17 February 2017
Thank you for the review and comments. Hope to see you again soon!
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed one night in March 2013. There were no problems. Walking distance to downtown area. Great value for the money. Staff were helpful and friendly. Close to fast food and easy to get to from the I75.

Room Tip: It's an easy walk to the waterfront park and there is a grocery store across the street.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FSTSK8R
Thank you for the review and comments.
Ohio
Reviewed 28 February 2013 via mobile

The manager running this hotel, Nisha Patel, is horrible with customer service! And I think she took advantage of me. My daughter and I rolled in around 8pm one evening. The sign said "special walk-in rates". I was charged $89 for two double beds. Not horrible for this area, but definitely not a "special rate". The room was clean and very roomy. So I decided to stay for the remaining 3 nights. However, when I went to talk to Ms. Patel, she informed me that they didn't have any rooms for the weekend; just for one more night, Thursday. So I booked it and used my new rewards number I signed up for online. It afforded me 10% off. So I paid $81 that night.
As I was still in need of a room for the weekend, I went online and began searching the area. Low and behold! America's Best Value Inn popped up with rooms available! For $71! So I booked through Travelocity. Ms. Patel called my room within 15 minutes and informed me that I wouldn't be afforded the same room. I would have to move. I figured as much, since the online room was a smoking room (the only option). The next morning when I went to get our new key, I was told that I would have to wait until 3:00 to check in! She claimed there were no rooms available! I confronted her on this, bringing up how she said the same thing the night before, when in fact there were rooms available. (By the way, this hotel was no where near full to capacity)
Ms. Patel looked me in the eye and said, " I never said that. I said the rates went up for the weekend". Basically, she called me a liar! I argued this with her, but she didn't care. She was not going to be accommodating. She was not going to allow us to store our luggage until the room was ready. Nothing. She did not care how rude and inconvencing she was. She knew I was stuck with her hotel, so she threw customer service out the window.
I would never give this woman my money again. I did her a favor. I stayed in her hotel for 4 nights, overpaying for 2 night, during a time when she could obviously use the business, as her hotel was not full. She is an awful business woman.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank ejs1027
Chicago
Reviewed 7 July 2012

In the past 10 years of epic three-month long road trips and a ridiculous amount spent on gas and hotels, this is one of the worst hotels that we've ever visited--right next to the bedbugs in Jersey. It enrages me that there isn't an option on this rating We booked the room on Hotels.com (never again), and it matched a family of six with a room capacity of four. The original price online after taxes was $60. Upon our arrival, we were scolded by the front desk lady informing us that the room only accommodates 4, which means it's an extra $10 charge (that's fine). While standing in the musky hallway, one of the guests went from room to room knocking on doors and yelling in spanish (it's okay...harmless enough). We entered the room and realized that it was smoking rather than non-smoking (o.k. let's just talk to the crazy front desk lady and see if she could find us another room). My husband was sent back with a message that simply said that that was the room that was booked. After 5 minutes in the room and the window was sealed shut while the A.C. spewed out cold cigaret smell, my kids couldn't breathe, so my husband tried again with the 'service' lady...of course an extra $15 charge. Finally, we entered our "non-smoking" room (no difference from smoking), my daughters screamed because a one-inch roach needed to use the toilet as well. We chased it around and captured in a bag or later evidence, until we found another roach, dead this time laying on the corner of our bed. Because it was so late at night and we had four kids with us and all of the hotels were completely sold out, our only other option was to stay in the car. Even when one of our daughters were in desperate need of a shower, she refused to step into the bathroom. The towels were thinner than your cheapest paper towel and rougher than sandpaper. We needed to walk on the carpeted floors with our shoes because it was was damp and dirty. We brought our own blankets and pillows, but we will need to deep clean them to get the smell of cigarets our from a "non-smoking" room. At least the bedbug infested hotel in Jersey had front-desk personnels who showed remorse and empathy. The front desk lady at Americas "Worst" Value and Service Inn should not be in the field of service!!! It's deceiving to give this place a rating of 1, just as its price was deceiving to the customers. We were just at the Hyatt Place in Georgia for less than this place and a one room condo at Cedar Keys in Florida for $65, but for me to mention their names compared to this place is a complete disgrace.

Room Tip: Best advice is to not stay at all. Sleep in your car if you have to!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ddteach

Travellers are raving about these Sarasota hotels

Englewood, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We checked in on Saturday, June 30th. Got to the room and the air wasn't on. I guess the hotel is trying to save money, but a very bad move on their part. We turned on the air and went down to the pool for an hour. came back up and the room was still sweltering. Went down to the front desk and was informed that they do this in all the rooms and it wouldn't help to move to a different one. Needless to say, we checked out. Note to Hotel Management: When it is 95 degrees out.....turn on the air in the rooms!!! We had a reservation, there wasn't any reason for the air to not be on.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michkauf1
, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Downtown Sarasota, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Thank You for taking the time to fill out this review. We try to make our guests as compfortable as possible. This was an oversite of which we have the ability to rectify for future visits.

Management
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I bought a room here on Priceline, 60 bucks, close to old downtown Sarasota and Selby Gardens; I thought "what a steal". It was so NOT worth it. If I wasn't in town for a big family event & only one overnight I would have just turned around and left when I stepped in the room. It wasn't the size, look, or even cleanliness overall, it was the air quality. The mold smell in the hall was stiffling. The room was okay, but no AC on so hot. I turned on the AC full blast and within 5 minutes my throat began to close. I opened slider door & ran air full blast thinking it needed to just get rid of the stale air, and went off to my event (of course shutting slider before I did). Let me cut to the chase: it was literally sickening to sleep there overnight. My hubby did get sick. I was up hourly gargling warm salt water and praying for dawn. Just to add insult to injury, no hot water. We complained, they said, "oh, let it run for about 10 minutes". OMG, this place is just the worst! One more thing, my hubby was last to ck out, we met there & had driven 2 separate vehicles, he grabbed the final paperwork. They charged me $80! He thought nothing of it until a few days later & mentioned it...this is the last straw, I'm calling my cc company.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Lisabrux
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Baymont Inn & Suites Sarasota
#10 of 49 in Sarasota
Days Inn Sarasota
Days Inn Sarasota
#31 of 49 in Sarasota

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Downtown Sarasota? Share your experiences!