“Not for everyone but I loved the sub!”
Review of Amy's Pho - CLOSED

Amy's Pho
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I'd heard about this place but never made an effort to find it and then stumbled over it when I was going to the Tile place around the corner. Anyway it was lunch and I'd heard the house specials, the subs, were delicious. The place was a dump, there was only other customer in there and the fish tank was dirty. The view of the kitchen wasn't appetizing but I enjoyed watching the old Vietnamese people bickering with each other! Regardless, I ordered the pork sub and a bubble tea (which I was familiar with 10+ years ago when I lived in NYC). 10 minutes later, my little sub came out and the only woman behind the counter made my bubble tea. I brought everything home and the sub was delicious, truly out of this world bursting with flavor. The bubble tea was awful, frozen (am used to shaken) without the wonderful black tapioca pearls and with fruity hard gelatin shapes. I threw out the bubble tea and then realized that I was getting a headache from whatever the sub was made out of. I've discovered that I have an MSG sensitivity in recent years, and Pho Cali was my favorite place to eat until I started getting headaches after eating their dishes. So bottom line, get the sub, skip the bubble tea and make sure you're not a pain in the tush like me!

Reviewed 6 August 2011

We come to Lido Beach near Sarasota's St. Armand's Circle every 4th of July week. We have dined with pleasure at the Vietnamese restaurant in the downtown (orange ave) area of town. In fact, we look forward to it. Since we had eaten there already during the week, I looked up reviews on another site and found RAVE reviews for this restaurant under the name of Vietnamese Noodle and Sub. The whole family wanted to go out and I TALKED THEM INTO trying Vietnamese food. I really talked it up, telling them how much they would love the pho and the rice rolls and the bubble teas, etc. Stupidly, I took them to this place, where I had never been before but trusted the reviews. The name over the door says, "Amy's Pho" so the three names should have been a tip off. We should have cut our losses and left soon after arriving but noooooo, I stayed for the full punishment. The server was horrible. They finally took some drink orders after 10 or so minutes. Then, another 15 minutes later came back to tell us they no longer carried bubble tea and were out of the boba tea they now carry. Then, they came back after several more minutes to tell us they were out of another dish, and they brought several of our meals at different times but were down to two of us not having food - one was me and one was a 10 year old. THEN, they came out to tell me they were out of the pork bun, which I ordered. I was so disgusted at this point I couldn't see straight. I said, "Well just bring me something." It was closing time by then. They turned customers away and put the sign up. And I still didn't have food. The pho that others got was mediocre at best. Nothing was particularly good. I keep rereading the other reviews and thinking I must be missing something. Maybe I was at the wrong place. Alas, I was not. Do yourself a favor, don't go. Go to the place downtown. You'll get lovely service in a nice atmosphere in a fun area of town.