“Nice place to stay - beware hidden room rate change!”

Springhill Suites Sarasota Bradenton
Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed 30 March 2008

I picked this hotel based on other reviews and found this hotel exactly as promised (with a notable issue regarding the room rate!)

First, about the hotel - it was clean and the staff was pleasant. We had the 2 beds and sleeper sofa room. It did seem a little small compared to other suites but still okay. Nothing looked worn or dirty. The beds were comfortable. There was a microwave, fridge, and sink area. The bathroom was one of those no-sink kind (not my favorite) but water pressure was decent. There were two TVs but one did not function very well. If we had been staying more than two nights, I would have asked for it to be fixed. The toilet also got clogged and we had to get a plunger from the front desk. For those reasons, I can't say this hotel was excellent - but I am not sure if we just were unlucky or if this is typical of the hotel.

While the hotel was near the airport, we only noticed plane noise on our last day around 11 AM. Nothing before that. The area was residential - nothing within walking distance. I did not even notice the strip club previously mentioned. However, 5 minutes driving down the road, there were major shopping centers with many restaurant choices.

The hotel was also located near enough to the reasons we came to Sarasota. We came to check out Ringling College for my daughter (10 minutes away) as well as see the sights (10-15 minutes away).

The free breakfast was very good - besides your continental offerings, there were egg & cheese omelets, make your own waffles, and sausage. There were also free fresh baked cookies in the lobby in the afternoon (yum!) as well as fresh fruit available all the time. There was a mini-market next to the front desk with various items for purchase - very helpful with nothing around.

While we didn't use the pool, it looked nice and clean. We did use the wired internet in our room - worked perfectly.

My one complaint was being "robbed" of $20 by Marriott. When I booked the room on their website, I booked the AAA Weekday rate of $189 a night. We were charged the rack rate of $199 a night instead. When my husband asked the manager about this, we were told our stay wasn't long enough for the AAA rate. I checked their website again - no mention of a length of stay. I checked our email confirmation - and the price had been changed but the email said we were getting the AAA rate so I missed the $10 a night increase. While this is not a big amount, this kind of "bait and switch" is annoying. I even emailed Marriott asking about this - and never got a response. So - BEWARE when booking with Marriott .

While I could recommend the hotel itself for another stay, next time I will be looking elsewhere due to this stupid rate thing.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 March 2008

This is a first-class facility. Not intended to be a luxury hotel - it is very clean, with very comfortable rooms and a staff that is helpful and polite. The complementary breakfast buffet offers plenty of options. I would stay here again in a second.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2008

I stayed here twice: Sept 2007, and Dec 2007 for a week each time. Friendly staff, great breakfasts, clean rooms, and a nice quiet area. The airport is less than a minute away, and I75 is a few miles the other way. Plenty of things to do in the area, plenty of places to eat, and shop. Absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank neth5
Reviewed 25 November 2007

I stayed at the Spring Hill Suites Sarasota for 1 evening on 23 November 2007 at the spur of the moment on a day trip to the area. The hotel is located across from the airport, so I did hear 1 plane leaving aorund 6 AM, so light noise can be a problem, but no big deal. The location is solid for visiting downtown Sarasota. The Lobby is attractive with a lovely complimentary breakfast each morning. The buffet featured a variety of dry cereals, coffees, tea, juices, milk, fresh bananas & apples, individual fruit cups which were an excellent touch, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, make-your-own waffles, danishes & muffins, eggs & sausage, etc.. all served in a nice comfy enviroment with a TV off of the lobby. My room had two queen beds which were comfortable, a seperate vanity area, an amazing shower with perfect pressure & drainage, a living area with a sofa, chair & coffee table, a nice sized desk, & a small kitchen area with microwave, mini-refrigerator, small sink & counter space. The sleeping/living areas are seperated by a partial wall. Also, two TV's are in the room(bed/living area). The Front Desk staff I encountered were friendly, including Carly & Scott. Their is complimentary internet access in the lobby, as well as an area where you can purchase drinks, sundries, light snacks, drinks, etc. Their was a nice pool & small work-out room, as well. My suite was utterly spotless & the hotel was very nice. We paid $99, but the rate came to $109.39 with tax. If you have time, dowtown Sarasota is beautiful with great shops, cafes & galleries to visit. Also, the Marina area near the hotel is so nice for a walk or leisure stroll. Hope this helps. Enjoy your travels & Happy Holidays. Cheers!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2007

We stayed here for 4 nights in early November. Overall, it was a great experience for a budget hotel. Nice size room-we had the king mini suite, with fridge, microwave, and sink. The pillows were awful--you might want to ask for foam/firm pillows. Very nice reception desk. They offer breakfast each morning--bland food, so we stuck to coffee, bananas, and bagels. Right across the street from the airport, so you do hear the planes. We're early risers, and the planes do start taking off around 5:30 a.m. About a 15 minute drive to downtown, about a 30 minute drive to the beaches, not bad.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2007

First 2-night stay of a 10 day vacation, we wanted to stay longer but had already made other plans. Room (suite) was great size/set-up for 3 of us, including 18 year old daughter. Property clean & well-maintained, nice pool (except for broken piping on rinse shower), nice but small exercise room. Really enjoyed expanded continental breakfast. My 1st visit to a Spring Hill Suites, can't wait to try another one. Best part; we stayed free on my Marriot reward points!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Gary A
Reviewed 2 August 2007

Stayed here for a weekend getaway while planning to do various things in the Sarasota/Siesta Key area. SUPER close to Ringling Art Museum! Great dinner suggestion by man at front desk. All the staff was very nice and very helpful. Included breakfast offerings were much better than expected for a hotel breakfast, saved us going out for breakfast each morning! Chance of staying at this hotel again if going to Sarasota: 90%

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple