“Loved this hotel”

Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Ohio
“Loved this hotel”
Reviewed 6 March 2011

The price was right at this great place to stay. Our first floor room was surprisingly quiet the first night since a wedding reception was going on right down the hall. The staff, especially Chris, the bartender who served us a late night dinner were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was not free but reasonable as you could have it cooked to order.

One of the best things was the extremely tidy self-laundry which we made use of and was the only available one on our entire two week journey through 8 hotels. Wi-fi was free and fast and we had easy access to our car (free parking).

This hotel is less than five minutes from the Ringling Museum and Estate. Don't miss it and also the Classic Car Museum across the road. A drive to St. Armands (15 min.) for dinner is also a good idea.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
HGISarasota, David Alexander, Sales Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Sarasota - Bradenton Airport, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
Thanks for the comments! ... We know how busy our travelers are; and the time you took to recognize our staff means a lot to us. I'll show your comments to our bartender, Chris. ... Thanks again. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Of course, I rarely stay at HGIs, but when I am in Sarasota (frequently, on business) this is where I stay. I have tried every hotel in Sarasota-Bradenton over the last several years, and this one is #1 in town. Including the R***-C******, which is ostentatious for my tastes.

Pros: Excellent location, the "Pure" room with it's air filter unit provided my desired white noise for sleeping, and the internet connection worked perfectly. Great lobby for pre-meeting meetings, breakfast was also good (chef - 10 points, waitress, 2 points); Outstanding front desk service makes this my second favorite HGI.

Shortcoming #1: The bed in the Pure room had a cavernous dip in the middle which made sleeping, or dropping off to sleep, distracting. Perhaps someone larger than yours truly had overstressed the poor mattress, but my first impression was "this mattress is ten years old".

Shortcoming #2: What is it with the telephones in Hilton / Hampton hotels? It's nice that they provide 2 in each room (1 - at desk, 1- at bedside) but it's rare, actually I can't think of a single stay anywhere in America where both phones were operable. So invariably, I conduct my business concalls on my semi-reliable cell phone.

All in all, still the best place to stay in Sarasota.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
HGISarasota, David Alexander, Sales Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Sarasota - Bradenton Airport, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Thanks for your very nice comments.

We strive to be the number one hotel in the Sarasota-Bradenton area in terms of quality and service; and we’re proud to see that we’re your #1 hotel in town!

By the way, I don’t know if we got around to telling you about our adjustable Garden Sleep System. There is a dial on the mattress allowing you to set the bed's softness or firmness. Perhaps your bed was set a bit too soft.

We look forward to seeing you again soon. Please feel free to call and contact me directly if you have any questions or if we can be of any further assistance.
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed 5 March 2011

our team of workers for a project stayed here for four nights. The staff did all they could to accomoadte our special needs for high speed internet and storage problems we had since we travel with so much equipment . The cleanliness was stunning. I needed to change rooms and it went so smoothly with help from the staff. The lobby had several different areas with televisions in each , plush sofas and private areas. The only little complaint I have is the breakfast area and price. both were dissapointing slightly. the price was high and the place was a tiny bit cramped for space.

I would highly recommend this hotel for the business traveler.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Thanks for the comments. Our housekeepers work very hard and take pride in the hotel. It means a lot to us to be able to show them such recognition!

Also, we appreciate your suggestions about breakfast. During peak season we’ve been accommodating lots of large groups in our restaurant. Given your advice and our own observations, we’ve started offering to move large parties to our private banquet space for breakfast. Groups like the private gathering space, while our regulars and individual guests like not feeling so cramped in the restaurant.

We hope to see you again soon. … Thanks again.
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I stayed at the Sarasota Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) in early Feb 2011 on a 6 day trip during which I stayed at two other hotels -- 3 or 4 star. I prepaid my reservations after booking them at an online site.

I will rank the three hotels relative to each other based on three criteria and explain my ranking of them. I stayed two nights at each hotel.

My three criteria for judging a hotel are quiet, clean, and comfort.

Quiet--HGI ranks last. I stayed one night each on floor 3 ( back of building) & floor 4 (front of building). Sarasota HGI is a 4 story building. The high 4th floor catches much noise from the airport immediately across Route 41. The 3rd floor in the back catches much noise ( vehicle backing-up beepers and men shouting) from the industrial neighbor in the back. Neither source of noise is white noise making for a less than good sleeping experience. I should note that cleaning staff are quite and considerate but there seems to be some kind of dispute with the neighboring business as that neighbor ran a very loud siren and voice " test of the personnel alerting system" 4 or 5 times starting at 9:30 am.????

Clean--HGI ties for second. The bedding, furniture, appliances and bath were all the best. However, the first room I stayed in (4th Fl) smelled strongly of bleach when I first entered. After opening a window to clear the air, the strong bleach odor was replaced by a very noticeable musty/moldy odor-- like the room had been damp and unused for a long time.

Comfort--HGI ranks last. Although the staff are very friendly and exceptionally nice, my overall experience at the Sarasota Hilton Garden Inn was the worst of the three. Their breakfast buffet, at $13 dollars is the highest of the three hotels. I eat a lite breakfast. The beds in the two rooms were very comfortable but the hotel and my room bathrooms showed signs of shabbiness with lobby ceiling tile water stained and dirty looking and bath-tile mold not quite all removed. Further, the heater in my 4th floor room was noisy and stunk, and the one in the 3rd floor room did not work at all. The noise issue previously discussed is also a negative in my view.

I have stayed at other Hilton hotels and have been very satisfied. HGI's very nice staff does not make up for poor management and a less than an idea location.

My impression is that HGI in Sarasota has stiff competition from newer-nicer and better situated hotels. Their management uses the online booking services to fill rooms that would be very unacceptable at full price.

Even at a discounted rate, I can not recommend staying here unless you can see and inspect the room before paying. There are far better choices in Sarasota that are also near the airport.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank DelawareJim
HGISarasota, Sales Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Sarasota - Bradenton Airport, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about hotel. We strive to be the number one hotel in our market in terms of service and value, and take all feedback, whether positive or negative, very seriously. If you have a moment, please feel free to contact me directly so that we can address your concerns.
Outer Banks, NC
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Making our annual Christmas visit to visit our daughter in Jacksonville, Fl, we found time to take a two-day side trip to Sarasota and booked this wonderful hotel. We were happy we did, because it was perfect in every way. The staff was helpful, friendly, courteous (and most of the rest of the Scout oath). Room was spotless and very comfortable, and despite being right next to the International Airport, we heard only one large aircraft taking off. Breakfasts were included as part of the "Bed & Breakfast" program and both food and service were excellent. Our visit was memorable and we shall return soon.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Ocala, FL
Reviewed 25 December 2010

We booked this hotel to spend Christmas eve with our family in beautiful Sarasota. At first, I was apprehensive because the hotel did not look great in the website photos, but the rooms were nice when we got there! The lobby was cozy, the staff was friendly and the rooms were very clean.

• Stayed December 2010
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I stayed here for one night for business.
Hilton Garden Inn is a good business hotel. I guess it is also good for vacation, since there were a lot of tourists.
Room was a little smaller than I am used to, but still big enough to feel comfortable.
It was clean and the bed was comfortable.
Service was very friendly. The breakfast was ok. I expected a little more for a buffet and the price they charge.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business