“Lovely hotel, great employees but awful beds- like boards”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I was at the Ritz Carlton recently on business. Brought my spouse for some relax time. The hotel was beautiful and staff delightful and eager to please. However, I don't know if i would rush to stay at this hotel again. The meeting spaces were beautiful and staff was very helpful, but the beds were miserably hard even after an extra level of down bedding was added by staff. They did try to help and gave us a free bottle of wine. It was very kind of staff to try to fix the problem, but it didn't make up for 2 nights of miserable sleep for both me and my husband. A 5 star hotel should have comfortable mattresses. We both woke up numerous times the first night and twice the second night, even with the extra padding, in pain from the mattress. I've had better sleep on a floor with a sleeping bag.

Other than that, the hotel was nice, spa facilities were very impressive, they clean the manicure/pedicure tools in a medical sterilizer. That's my kind of spa! Also room service was super fast and they were accommodating to my gluten free diet as much as could be expected from a major hotel chain. I had food to eat and all was fine.

Room Tip: Do not get the handicapped room on the 4th floor facing the marina- it's the one with the awful...
2  Thank scoobytrips

Reviewed 1 June 2013

This hotel is superb. The service is impeccable. Everyone is really happy and willing to help one have a great time. Their club on the beach is about a 10 minute van ride provided by the hotel and is right on the beach. There is also a pool, restaurant there, lockers and showers, and many facilities. The restaurant (just renovated) hav gorgeous views of the water and is peaceful and relaxing. The food was marvelous - great fish well prepared. All in all, a great time!

2  Thank snubagator3
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed for 4 nights memorial day weekend, we also were here in June of 2011. The staff worked really hard on the beach and at the main hotel to make sure we had everything we needed at all times, despite it being a busy weekend. The beach is beautiful, and we enjoyed drinks and watching the sunset there very much. The rooms are nicely appointed and are up to the typical Ritz standard, we had a nice view of the Marina. The valet can be texted to get your car which made getting around really easy. It is a short drive or shuttle to the beach, but once you get there you really don't want to leave. The only small complaint I have is that the gym was small, 60% of the elliptical machines were marked "members only" and they could've used an upgrade. The positives far outweigh the gym situation though. We will be back!!!

Reviewed 30 May 2013

As a frequent business traveler who spends on avarage 80% of my nights in a hotel, my only real requirements for a hotel are a clean and quiet place to sleep and the ability to work out while I'm on the road. After a long day of meetings, I wanted nothing more than to check into my hotel and unwind with a workout before going to bed to catch my early flight the next morning. Unfortunately, it appears that I have been sheltered by my stays at lesser priced hotel brands where I have access to cardio equipment and free weights at times that fit into my schedule. In booking my first business trip to Sarasota, I was excited to see the Ritz at the top of my company's "preferred hotels" list and hoped that it would live up to the brand's stellar reputation. It never occurred to me that a hotel chain with a reputation like the Ritz would have such restrictive fitness center hours to close at 8pm (right as I was returning to my hotel from day-long meetings) and not open again until 6am (the time I had to check out to get to the airport). Ritz-Carlton, I am shocked and disappointed in my first Ritz experience and am sorely disappointed that I booked with your hotel. Never again will I make this same mistake.

Signed,
Wishing I'd spent my company's money instead at a Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott/Westin or anywhere else with normal fitness center hours!

Room Tip: This older hotel also seems to have abnormally thin walls, to the point that I can hear typing on a...
5  Thank Traveler3405
Reviewed 30 May 2013

My finance and I stayed at the Ritz Sarasota memorial day weekend. It was fabulous! The hotel was clean and up to Ritz standard. Jack Dusty's restaurant was excellent! Although very pricey, but it IS the Ritz after all. Although we were initially taken aback that the hotel is not located on the beach, we were quickly appeased, cause it was a short free shuttle ride to Lido Beach which was gourgeous! We did encounter a rude and not so attentive bartenter at the beach club tiki bar. However, how the hotel supervisor Paige Bower handled the situation was extremely professional and indicative of the Ritz' true customer service policy! Thank you Paige and staff for making our getaway memorable!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We recently returned from a 4-night stay at the Sarasota Ritz Carlton (our 4th visit). Once again, service was top notch. We booked a room on the Club Level and the food and beverage offerings were excellent and plentiful. The staff throughout the hotel is very accommodating and really went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed. Had dinner at Jack Dusty's and while the atmosphere is beautiful, the food was 'good'....nothing spectacular. But again, wait staff was attentive and friendly.
We love the location of this property, while some find negativity because it's not on the beach, there is plenty to do right around the hotel. There is a beautiful pool on site. You can walk to downtown Sarasota, which has wonderful restaurants and shopping. It's a short ride to St. Armands or the Ritz Beach Club (maybe 3 miles at best). We also enjoyed taking our daily walk over the bridge everyday. Sarasota is a great place with so many beautiful beaches (Long Boat Key, Siesta Key). We are already planning our fifth visit!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NJTravelGirl_7
Reviewed 28 May 2013

You will not find a more attentive, pleasant hotel staff anywhere. Period. By far this Ritz-Carlton provided the best service we have ever experienced at a hotel. While this hotel is not beachfront, they provide a convenient complimentary shuttle to and from their beach club. It is timely and runs well into the evening hours. As for location, it is perfect for discovering the waterfront of Sarasota Bay and the wonderful little shops, galleries and restaurants in downtown Sarasota.

1  Thank LWRFoodie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
#1 of 51 in Sarasota
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!