“Great Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 June 2013

As returning visitors to the RC in Sarasota we were delighted to be welcomed by name by the reception staff. I was allocated a room which was unfortunately next to a large air conditioning vent and therefore very noisy when on the balcony. I immediatly reported this problem to reception who responded by moving me to a new room without any hassle they also upgraded my room to a bayview suite. The Bayview Suite was an excellent improvement and I thank the reception staff for thier consideration. The amenities inside the room were of the highest quality, we could find no fault. We made good use of the RC Beach club where we were again welcomed by name and treated like old friends. The Beach Tikki bar again recognised me by name (radios are a wonderful invention) the food and bar service again of the highest class, both Summer and Pete are very professional in thier trade. Check out was easy and uneventful. Hotel was booked via Trivago £120 per night - Bargin for this quality of service.

2  Thank Bert14440
Write a ReviewReviews (2,249)

Reviewed 6 June 2013

We were greeted by a somewhat unfriendly Front Desk Agent who gave us a room overlooking the roof. It was my Birthday and I had mentioned this on the reservation so he could see that. You only have one every 365 days right? So I was disappointed initially. The room was smaller than at the Vinoy where we stayed the night before. However the bathroom was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. The valet staff were actually the ones who sent up a bottle of champagne saying happy birthday because my husband mentioned it to them! And chocolate dipped strawberries. They are so friendly (and the Restaurant staff is too). That really turned things around when we got back. The shuttle driver from Hungary was so nice and and told us intersting stories about the outside areas as we were driving to shopping and the Beach Club. The server at Jack Dustys was excellent and so was the food and ambience. We had Maine Lobster (fairly priced and perfectly grilled) and Rib Eye (a bit salty my husband said but it was delicious with the smashed potatoes). We took a moonlight swim in the pool and that was wonderful also. All in all a very nice stay except the beginning portion.

Room Tip: Eat Outside on the Terrace at Jack Dustys at Sunset. Gorgeous! Order the Maine Lobster. Delicious!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed 5 June 2013

As always, the Ritz-Carlton is an excellent choice for guests wanting that superlative service and smiles from the staff!
Our room on the club level was immaculate and the staff in the club superbly friendly! I'm not sure who runs or manages these wonderful; people but they're doing a fine job up there!

We actually made some friends with a few of the staff and I expect we'll see them again soon.

Do get down to Jack Dusty's for lunch or dinner and please ask for Jeff. It's clear from the beginning this is a gentleman who knows his stuff. He'll make you feel right at home from the first "hello".

With regret there were a few things that were DECIDEDLY un-Ritz-Carlton.

Please avoid the tiki bar at the beach club.
You're served beer in cans with a plastic cup slapped on top and we had to brush crumbs and the like off the chairs and the bar top before we sat. This is the Ritz?

We found that some of the staff at the regular lounges were texting on their phones, looking at us, then going back to their texting. I tried twice to get a young lady's attention but she was talking to the bartender and texting in between texts.

Now this is just a little thing and something i shouldn't even mention.
One night in Jack Dusty's, they needed to set up for a larger party. Instead of picking the chairs UP to move them, they just pulled them across the floor making quite a racket. Had the couple next to us not mentioned it, I might not have posted anything here but it just wasn't us.

Just pick your chairs up like you were taught.
I suspect this is just a lack of qualified management and said management not overseeing their charges.

Alas, i still love my Ritz-Carltons and truly speaking , this is the FIRST time we've ever had a "nick" or complaint.

2  Thank TheGrumpyChef_SWF
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I was at the Ritz Carlton recently on business. Brought my spouse for some relax time. The hotel was beautiful and staff delightful and eager to please. However, I don't know if i would rush to stay at this hotel again. The meeting spaces were beautiful and staff was very helpful, but the beds were miserably hard even after an extra level of down bedding was added by staff. They did try to help and gave us a free bottle of wine. It was very kind of staff to try to fix the problem, but it didn't make up for 2 nights of miserable sleep for both me and my husband. A 5 star hotel should have comfortable mattresses. We both woke up numerous times the first night and twice the second night, even with the extra padding, in pain from the mattress. I've had better sleep on a floor with a sleeping bag.

Other than that, the hotel was nice, spa facilities were very impressive, they clean the manicure/pedicure tools in a medical sterilizer. That's my kind of spa! Also room service was super fast and they were accommodating to my gluten free diet as much as could be expected from a major hotel chain. I had food to eat and all was fine.

Room Tip: Do not get the handicapped room on the 4th floor facing the marina- it's the one with the awful...
2  Thank scoobytrips
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This hotel is superb. The service is impeccable. Everyone is really happy and willing to help one have a great time. Their club on the beach is about a 10 minute van ride provided by the hotel and is right on the beach. There is also a pool, restaurant there, lockers and showers, and many facilities. The restaurant (just renovated) hav gorgeous views of the water and is peaceful and relaxing. The food was marvelous - great fish well prepared. All in all, a great time!

2  Thank snubagator3
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed for 4 nights memorial day weekend, we also were here in June of 2011. The staff worked really hard on the beach and at the main hotel to make sure we had everything we needed at all times, despite it being a busy weekend. The beach is beautiful, and we enjoyed drinks and watching the sunset there very much. The rooms are nicely appointed and are up to the typical Ritz standard, we had a nice view of the Marina. The valet can be texted to get your car which made getting around really easy. It is a short drive or shuttle to the beach, but once you get there you really don't want to leave. The only small complaint I have is that the gym was small, 60% of the elliptical machines were marked "members only" and they could've used an upgrade. The positives far outweigh the gym situation though. We will be back!!!

Reviewed 30 May 2013

As a frequent business traveler who spends on avarage 80% of my nights in a hotel, my only real requirements for a hotel are a clean and quiet place to sleep and the ability to work out while I'm on the road. After a long day of meetings, I wanted nothing more than to check into my hotel and unwind with a workout before going to bed to catch my early flight the next morning. Unfortunately, it appears that I have been sheltered by my stays at lesser priced hotel brands where I have access to cardio equipment and free weights at times that fit into my schedule. In booking my first business trip to Sarasota, I was excited to see the Ritz at the top of my company's "preferred hotels" list and hoped that it would live up to the brand's stellar reputation. It never occurred to me that a hotel chain with a reputation like the Ritz would have such restrictive fitness center hours to close at 8pm (right as I was returning to my hotel from day-long meetings) and not open again until 6am (the time I had to check out to get to the airport). Ritz-Carlton, I am shocked and disappointed in my first Ritz experience and am sorely disappointed that I booked with your hotel. Never again will I make this same mistake.

Signed,
Wishing I'd spent my company's money instead at a Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott/Westin or anywhere else with normal fitness center hours!

Room Tip: This older hotel also seems to have abnormally thin walls, to the point that I can hear typing on a...
5  Thank Traveler3405
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
The Westin Sarasota
The Westin Sarasota
#33 of 51 in Sarasota

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!