“over rated”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“over rated”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Stayed at the ritz for 5 nights and I have to say overall the service was ok but not 5 star by any means . The valet parking is terrible if you are in a hurry good luck we waited for up 10 minutes for our vehicle and then wait 5 or 10 minutes more for all the vehicles blocking us to move.The staff are very friendly but the service in the outside terrace was terrible twice we sat down outside hoping to have a glass of wine and after sitting their for over 10 minutes with no service we got up and left The spa was fantastic probably the best part of the experience.Over priced for level of service provided

4 Thank kevin m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Just stayed here for 2 nights initially the room wasn't up to scratch and was quickly rectified by the front desk staff to a much nicer room on the 9th floor. We found the drinks to be eyewateringly expensive but the food which was excellent not so much.Have to mention the staff who were without exception very pleasant and unfailingly polite and always smiling.Would definitely return.

2 Thank Annie480
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Great place to meet up with family and friends. Staff attitude and service, as well as the amenities, justified the cost. A bit of a hike (3+ miles) to the beach club but shuttle service is available and worth the trip. Same great service as in the main hotel.

Room Tip: City view probably not as nice as the gulf view, but not bad either. Little unusual to see a Hyatt...
1 Thank pwalther
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

As returning visitors to the RC in Sarasota we were delighted to be welcomed by name by the reception staff. I was allocated a room which was unfortunately next to a large air conditioning vent and therefore very noisy when on the balcony. I immediatly reported this problem to reception who responded by moving me to a new room without any hassle they also upgraded my room to a bayview suite. The Bayview Suite was an excellent improvement and I thank the reception staff for thier consideration. The amenities inside the room were of the highest quality, we could find no fault. We made good use of the RC Beach club where we were again welcomed by name and treated like old friends. The Beach Tikki bar again recognised me by name (radios are a wonderful invention) the food and bar service again of the highest class, both Summer and Pete are very professional in thier trade. Check out was easy and uneventful. Hotel was booked via Trivago £120 per night - Bargin for this quality of service.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bert14440
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We were greeted by a somewhat unfriendly Front Desk Agent who gave us a room overlooking the roof. It was my Birthday and I had mentioned this on the reservation so he could see that. You only have one every 365 days right? So I was disappointed initially. The room was smaller than at the Vinoy where we stayed the night before. However the bathroom was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. The valet staff were actually the ones who sent up a bottle of champagne saying happy birthday because my husband mentioned it to them! And chocolate dipped strawberries. They are so friendly (and the Restaurant staff is too). That really turned things around when we got back. The shuttle driver from Hungary was so nice and and told us intersting stories about the outside areas as we were driving to shopping and the Beach Club. The server at Jack Dustys was excellent and so was the food and ambience. We had Maine Lobster (fairly priced and perfectly grilled) and Rib Eye (a bit salty my husband said but it was delicious with the smashed potatoes). We took a moonlight swim in the pool and that was wonderful also. All in all a very nice stay except the beginning portion.

Room Tip: Eat Outside on the Terrace at Jack Dustys at Sunset. Gorgeous! Order the Maine Lobster. Delicious!
1 Thank Rebecca S
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2013

As always, the Ritz-Carlton is an excellent choice for guests wanting that superlative service and smiles from the staff!
Our room on the club level was immaculate and the staff in the club superbly friendly! I'm not sure who runs or manages these wonderful; people but they're doing a fine job up there!

We actually made some friends with a few of the staff and I expect we'll see them again soon.

Do get down to Jack Dusty's for lunch or dinner and please ask for Jeff. It's clear from the beginning this is a gentleman who knows his stuff. He'll make you feel right at home from the first "hello".

With regret there were a few things that were DECIDEDLY un-Ritz-Carlton.

Please avoid the tiki bar at the beach club.
You're served beer in cans with a plastic cup slapped on top and we had to brush crumbs and the like off the chairs and the bar top before we sat. This is the Ritz?

We found that some of the staff at the regular lounges were texting on their phones, looking at us, then going back to their texting. I tried twice to get a young lady's attention but she was talking to the bartender and texting in between texts.

Now this is just a little thing and something i shouldn't even mention.
One night in Jack Dusty's, they needed to set up for a larger party. Instead of picking the chairs UP to move them, they just pulled them across the floor making quite a racket. Had the couple next to us not mentioned it, I might not have posted anything here but it just wasn't us.

Just pick your chairs up like you were taught.
I suspect this is just a lack of qualified management and said management not overseeing their charges.

Alas, i still love my Ritz-Carltons and truly speaking , this is the FIRST time we've ever had a "nick" or complaint.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheGrumpyChef_SWF
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I was at the Ritz Carlton recently on business. Brought my spouse for some relax time. The hotel was beautiful and staff delightful and eager to please. However, I don't know if i would rush to stay at this hotel again. The meeting spaces were beautiful and staff was very helpful, but the beds were miserably hard even after an extra level of down bedding was added by staff. They did try to help and gave us a free bottle of wine. It was very kind of staff to try to fix the problem, but it didn't make up for 2 nights of miserable sleep for both me and my husband. A 5 star hotel should have comfortable mattresses. We both woke up numerous times the first night and twice the second night, even with the extra padding, in pain from the mattress. I've had better sleep on a floor with a sleeping bag.

Other than that, the hotel was nice, spa facilities were very impressive, they clean the manicure/pedicure tools in a medical sterilizer. That's my kind of spa! Also room service was super fast and they were accommodating to my gluten free diet as much as could be expected from a major hotel chain. I had food to eat and all was fine.

Room Tip: Do not get the handicapped room on the 4th floor facing the marina- it's the one with the awful...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank scoobytrips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
#1 of 48 in Sarasota
Tropical Beach Resorts
Tropical Beach Resorts
#3 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!