“Fantastic service in a slightly dated hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 December 2013

There is a service level which is beyond compare and that’s what you expect to get when you stay at a Ritz Carlton… we were not disappointed with this experience! Upon arrival, the hotel is not grand nor magnificent in its appearance. But from the minute the first valet greets you remember why you booked such a luxurious (and expensive) hotel – the service. Check-in was fabulous – my daughter was shown to her check-in area. Everyone she met on that first encounter remembered her by name during the stay which delighted her to no end. They sent her on a “Treasure Hunt” and all staff around the hotel were happy to accommodate her requests/bombardment of questions!

We booked several rooms as we had family with us – so I was able to experience a suite (our room) to double rooms and a king room. All were nicely appointed with beach-motif decoration. The rooms were clean and had lovely toiletries, amenities (the suite having more – slippers, trouser press, ceramic mugs, nice pens, etc.). The beds were extremely comfortable and the linens lovely.

The bathrooms in all the rooms were very large and well-designed. We had a shower stall and separate bath in the suite (as well as one additional toilet). There were waters available regularly and the coffee maker made delicious coffee! The view from our suite was very disappointing (a roof) but we didn’t spring for the extra cost to have a better one so hey-ho!
There were patio/seating areas in all rooms that were very comfortable.

The hotel grounds itself were very nice but somewhat awkward if you wanted to go to the beach. There is a shuttle that only ran once an hour to and from the “Beach Club”. We opted to drive most days which meant one of us had to refrain from beach-side cocktails all afternoon. The beach club was great though and worth the drive. The beach was gorgeous!!!

The gym/fitness centre was quite small and limited, but it served its purpose.

Breakfast was delicious as were most meals we ate in the hotel restaurant.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel but likely not stay again as I really like having easier beach access - if the hotel sat on the residence location (where the beach club was), then I wouldn't hesitate!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank soshbfly
Write a ReviewReviews (2,251)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I stayed here 2 months ago for a business meeting. As usual everything was perfect with one exception. Checking in at this hotel is an ordeal. Every time I've stayed here I've had to wait to check in because the front desk is understaffed. My last trip I waited while 1 woman managed to tie up both of the people behind the counter with inane questions. While this was going on another staffer came out from the back office and started talking to the staffers about some discrepancy in a piece of paper she held in her hand. To me this is inexcusable. Guests at the hotel should come first, not taking care of some internal matter that can be handled later. Also, I think staff should be trained to devote their attention to the person in front of them and not be pulled away to help out with somebody else who has issues. I think Hilton has the best trained staff of any hotels I've stayed at so far. Other than that though the hotel is beautiful, the Beach Resort is fabulous and te next time iim in Sarasota I'm staying at the Ritz.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank shoeboxrick
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I've stayed at a couple of Ritz-Carlton hotels around Europe. The service has always been excellent and the hotels cater for more then you expect. The Ritz-Carlton Sarasota did more then that. From the welcoming at the valet parking to the club floor facilities, all is just the way you want it in hotel utopia. The check in is accompanied with a glass of champagne and after that it's just sheer relaxation. Don't forget to explore the beach club and all its facilities, the short ride with the shuttle is worth it every time. Thank you!

Room Tip: Try the Club floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fredtastic
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed at this Ritz twice this summer and both times immediately felt so at home. Rashied (hope I spelled it right) at the front desk is THE BEST, always so helpful, friendly, went SO out of his way to fix anything that came up, including my breaking my baby toe on my lounge in the incredible suite I stayed in. He fixed a snaffoo The Hyatt created with family staying there when they didn't deliver the champaigne we ordered. Ritz restaurant was great, beach club was great, everyone accommodated my quirks of gluten-free, dairy free, came up with mock-tails, incredible. The only people I was disappointed with was one desk clerk, don't know her name, and the manager, who both insisted we didn't sign up for the club lounge and we know we did. We were accused of being wrong, so not like a Ritz. Will deal only with Rashied from now on, as I am hoping to spend Thanksgiving there. Other Ritz' I've stayed at during holidays have always been incredible! Don't hesitate to try this Ritz!

Room Tip: The higher the better, suites are amazing and the quietest.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank luckydotty
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here with my wife for our honeymoon. They offered a great rate for the off season which made it a no brained to stay here. While the rooms themselves are relatively plain, they are large enough, and feature very nice bathrooms. What makes the place special is the service and attention to detail the staff exhibit. The desk staff were top rate, polite and helpful. The night door man/valet was a very nice young man from the Midwest (like us) who made us feel comfortable and at home in a place that is typically well above our budget. The housekeeping staff had a supernatural ability to determine when we were leaving. Anytime we left for more than 30 minutes we returned to fresh towels, sheets, newspapers, weather reports, and mints. Upon arrival we found champagne on ice and chocolate covered strawberries waiting in our room. The view from the balcony wasn't great, mostly of the driveway of the hotel. But that didn't matter, since access to the beach club made up for that. The hotel has a small stretch of private beach, which is great next to the busy public Lido Beach. The facility features a wonderful pool, bar service, nightly music, and food. Overall a great experience that I would recommend, especially when the rates drop in the fall.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I attended a national conference and my family traveled with me. While I was a little disappointed with our room size and amenities, I soon learned that the staff was what made our experience memorable. My wife and kids loved Sophia. Not only did she provide turn down service, she was touched by our kids thank you note that they left. A few moments later, she returned with a surprise that we will not forget. Thank you! Other nice touches include the complimentary shoe shine, the beach club with transport between locations and kids club so we could have time together after meetings. If we ever return, we will use the Ritz as our home base to build more memories.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We live in Sarasota and frequent Jack Dusty's (the restaurant on property). Before I even get to my review of the hotel I must mention this- you cannot leave this restaurant until you eat the sticky-toffee pudding. It ranks up there with Gordon Ramsay's version, and I never thought I'd say that! :)
My husband and I stayed at the hotel this weekend for a little "stay-cation" for our 5th wedding anniversary. This was my 2nd time staying here.
The hotel is beautiful, as you would expect. Most all rooms have a view of the inter-coastal waterway and downtown Sarasota is, for the most part, pretty scenic. You can walk to downtown for some interesting restaurants, run, walk, or drive the bridge to St. Armand's Key for great shopping or walk over to Marina Jack's to the charter fishing boats or the dolphin scenic tours. There are also theaters, our performing arts hall, Selby Gardens, the John and Mable Ringling Museum and pretty much everything else Sarasota has to offer in the nearby area.
The pool on-site is very nice, well kept and manicured and on the water. There are cabanas or comfortable loungers. You can also either drive or take the hotel provided transport to the "Beach Club" which is about a 10-15 minute drive over the bridge onto Lido Key. There they have a bigger pool and access to Lido Beach. If you have kids, this pool would be a better bet. This beach is nice enough but there are certainly better ones than this so don't be too disappointed (perhaps I am a "beach snob" of sorts having lived in Florida all my life). The sand is course and shelly, not the white powdered sand found on Siesta Beach about 20 minutes south.
We had a couples massage at the spa. Facilities nice but no overly impressive for a Ritz. I really enjoyed the "relaxing waters" room with the jacuzzi. It was serene and warm and I felt completely relaxed as I entered my massage. The massage was one of the best I've had and my husband said the same, but they shorted us 5 minutes of the 50 minutes of massage time. It doesn't sound like a big deal but when you pay the premium prices they're asking, it was mildly disappointing. However, Ashley at spa check out was more than accommodating when we told her of this and she did make up for it. She did an excellent job.
Lori, at the front desk, was also very helpful and everyone from the valets, to the housekeeping staff went out of their way to make sure we had a wonderful anniversary, leaving little notes and goodies for us. We felt very well-taken care of!!
On a side note, I do not golf, however, my husband has played this course several times and if you're a golfer and visiting, it is a must go.
All in all, if you are coming to Sarasota, this is, by far, the nicest hotel we have. Nothing is even in the same league.

Room Tip: The walls are a bit thin so ask for a room away from elevators and ice machines.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VegasGirl118
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
The Westin Sarasota
The Westin Sarasota
#33 of 51 in Sarasota

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!