“Front Desk staff not very accomodating/smug....”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed 4 nights for a convention and I am truly disappointed with the experience at this hotel. I booked 4 rooms for our stay, with a total of 6 people (2 married couples, two singles.) Upon check in, the two single people were given rooms with a king bed, and the two married couples were initially given rooms with the two full beds. We were assigned our rooms without being asked if we had a preference, and did not realize who was assigned what rooms until we arrived at the rooms. After seeing that my spouse and I received a room with two full sized beds, I called the desk and requested a room with a king sized bed. I was told that the only king rooms left were ocean view rooms and would be an additional $50 per night. I reluctantly agreed to move rooms in order to have a king sized bed. The new "ocean view" room I was given looked directly north at the Hyatt Regency hotel. This is not my idea of an "ocean view".

The staff were smug and not accommodating to guest's needs. I do realize that business conferences probably bring the type of clientele that the Ritz staff are not used to seeing, but they shouldn't be treated with any less respect or consideration. I will make a suggestion to the conference organizers that they should move the conference to a different location, perhaps the Hyatt Regency that I had a view of for 4 days.

Overall, I think staying at a Gaylord would cost less but provide the same amount of luxury that the Ritz provides.

Room Tip: Make sure to verify room type while when checking in
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank db719
Damien O, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear db719,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you are disappointed with the marina and bay front views our Hotel offers. While it is true Sarasota is on Florida’s beautiful Gulf Coast and our Beach Club is directly on the Gulf of Mexico on Lido Beach, our Hotel is adjacent to the magnificent Sarasota Bay and only offers Bayfront and Marina views as water view options. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Best wishes,
Damien O’Riordan

There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

The beach club is a few miles away and the hotel coach takes you there once every hour. Not convenient at all. I will not stay here again. The location and the service not worth the money you have to spend to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank jh25

Dear jh25,

Thank you for your recent reviews. I am sorry to hear from both of your reviews you were disappointed with your overall stay at our Resort. If you would like to discuss this further with me I can be reached at 941.309-2001.

Best wishes,
Damien O’Riordan

Reviewed 18 March 2014

we stayed at the Ritz (condo) January 2013. It was beautiful and the beach was fantastic to go for long walks. I have no constructive feedback as it was perfect. the staff were polite and very helpful. would love to visit again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

4 days at the Ritz in Sarasota was amazing! We had a great room, fantastic food wonderful service excellent. I had a magnificent view of Ocean. very guiet in rooms. Service at pool side was excellent. Highly recommend this Hotel

Room Tip: Facial at spa was not quite up to the facials I get at home; but most all was super
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BigSpin
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I have stayed at the Ritz in Sarasota several times and have enjoyed my stay every time.
We love the beach member services offered and the staff there is truly friendly and helpful. There is valet service or you can take the hotel shuttle to the beach area. Should you not be beach person, the pool is just as good. There are chairs and umbrellas available to you as well as food service by the pool.
If you want to relax, there is a spa. I had a massage my last stay and the spa is terrific. The prizes seemed reasonable to me and the team there was very friendly.
The rooms are very clean and there is turndown service - I love the chocolates on the pillows. You can have breakfast in the hotel but I thought it was pricey. So I suggest you go to St. Armand's for a reasonably priced breakfast. At night there was music - so I enjoyed cocktails at the bar in the evening.
The hotel is close to the marina and St. Armand's Circle - a must if you are in Sarasota.
The hotel is good for couples or families. We have been here with our son and just the two of us - and we love it!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My experience was marred by the lack of attention to the cleanliness of the pool facilities, particularly at the beach club, where I found the benches in the ladies changing rooms, really filthy dirty, I wrote to the Hotel on my return last week, & have had no reply, or any feed back from my
Questionnaire I bothered to fill in!!!! Otherwise the experience was great, staff on the club level really attentive, maybe another down was the lack of a table mat & serviette during the breakfast service in the club (I am very european in this request possible)

Room Tip: I don't think I could comment, most views were good
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AnnieB717
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We went to the Sarasota Opera Festival two nights and stayed at the Ritz.-Carlton. We walked over to the performances. The weather was cold and windy, but they greeted us with champagne and chocolates and our suite was ready and waiting early on. Our two night stay enabled us to relax and go to the botanical gardens, Catholic church mass, and tour the area at leisure. The onsite Jack Dusty's restaurant/bar scene was just right--not formal and stuffy, but open to the beauty of water and nature.
We had breakfast there outside with fire warmth, and a couple of seafood dinners for two.
The price overall was lower than we would have spent at a lesser hotel and restaurant, yet we felt like honored guests.

Room Tip: We had a suite facing the water/bay and it was worth the bit extra. I think we were on the 4th flo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
#1 of 50 in Sarasota
Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort, A Hyatt Residence Club

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!