“Very nice hotel! Way overpriced.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Pittsburgh
“Very nice hotel! Way overpriced.”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was very happy with the cleanliness of the hotel and the rooms. The staff was very friendly. Grounds were very well maintained. I am certainly by no means cheap or frugal, however everything at this was extremely expensive and overpriced. It is pretty bad when you can buy a case of beer or a bottle of wine down the street for the price of 3 beers or 2 glasses of wine at any of their restaurants or bars. Any mixed drinks we had were averaged $12+. Food was expensive as well. A sandwich and chips averaged at $20+. However the Mahi Mahi Reuben at the beach club was AMAZING! Also be very careful bringing in any outside drinks as it is very frowned upon at this establishment. If it weren't for the beach club I would not be recommending this hotel. The beach club is what definitely what made this hotel worth staying at.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tim D
Damien O, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Tim D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I was pleased to learn you appreciated the personalized service, cleanliness of the Hotel and your room and found your meal at our Beach Club amazing, I was very sorry to learn of the disappointments you described with respect to pricing and policy.

Please accept my sincerest apology for any frustrations you may have experienced during your stay. Your business is very important to us as we strive to provide the fine service and facilities our loyal guests have come to know and expect.

Damien O’Riordan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Spain
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a business conference in February so apologies for the tardy review, just catching up!
This was the first time I had stayed at a Ritz Carlton so I had quite high expectations. The staff were friendly and I must admit very helpful. That said I am not sure if I would return to this hotel for a leisure stay as it is some distance from the beautiful beaches and although these can be reached by the hotel shuttle to the Beach Club, the actual location of the hotel itself is more suited to a business traveller. Rooms were a good size but nothing really very different to what you would find in hotel brands such as Hilton or Westin.
I flew into Tampa which is about an hours drive from Sarasota - transfers can be organised through hotel and it was a good service albeit pricy, but it does have the advantage of taking out the stress of hiring a car after a long haul flight, you can then just hire one for use locally.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CJMarbella
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We decided to drive up from Naples because we had heard great things about Sarasota. We choose The Ritz because of its brand name. Unfortunately the premium priced hotel was not much better than average hotel. The room we stayed in was tired for lack of a better description. Although it was small. The walls were thin so you enjoy the conversations next door. If you are into that. The restaurant was just odd both in the layout as well as the menu. Would not stay here the next time.This also changed my image of the brand name.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill W
Dear Bill W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to hear that our facilities did not meet your expectations. Your opinion is very important to us.

Please feel free to contact me directly at your convenience at 941-309-2001 if you would like to discuss this further.

South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed for a three nights with my wife at the end of a two week holiday in Florida. Have stayed at many Ritz Carlton hotels and this was up there with the best of them.
We had a large balcony and it was great to sit out for a glass of wine and enjoy the view.
The room was very large and modern.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant along with some cocktails, good food, good wine and a nice atmosphere.

The hotel provided a shuttle service to the beach spa, well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Visit the beach spa, really nice beach bar.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had my reservations about going to the Ritz Carlton, since it isn't beachside. The hotel itself is right between a large intersection on the John Ringling Causeway and US 41. It's nestled in a large plot of land bayside. I must admit this had it's advantages as we weren't only staying here for the beach. We drove to several locations within Sarasota and this allowed us to have access to major roadway arteries.

When we arrived we found that there was a major prom reception being held at the hotel. The thought of having large quantities of teenagers commandeering the hotel quickly subsided as we found how large this hotel really is. There were several nice amenities like a pool, restaurant, game room, and the room had a large balcony from which we could watch the sunset.

The common criticism this hotel receives is the fact that to get to the beach (Lido Beach) you have to take a shuttle. I actually found this nice as the shuttle took us to the beach in a little under 15 minutes. The driver was very nice helping us with our gear and we actually arrived at a very upscale beach club.

There were wonderful private lockers all carved out of what looked like cherry wood. The Ritz has a private beach front with a pool, bar, lounge area and private chairs. It was great fun and relaxing.

The other advantage to the shuttle is that we could drink without fear of having to drive back and this was true of the local restaurants as well. The shuttle took us to St. Armand's circle and back.

Overall it was a great time. The only drawback for me was the price. It was a little overpriced for the value you get.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank charliejr
Mandan, North Dakota
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We went as a couple for my husband's company trip. Food was absolutely phenomenal at Jack Dusty. Drinks not cheap but has a great atmosphere. Concergie was very helpful. They provide complimentary shuttle to beach club which was also great. Service at pool was wonderful. Theres also a cute tiki bar on the beach which we had a fun time at. Within walking distance of downtown Sarasota which was fun to check out. We also used the hotels complimentary bikes to check out the marina which was quite fun. Overall, wonderful service and would return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Sarasota during spring break. I knew before hand, this is NOT a beach front property, but decided to stay anyway. We had a room on the club level. The location is questionable and the staffs on the club level were just so-so. I guess you get spoiled by the other Ritz like in Laguna Niguel, or Amelia Island.

The first night, at around 2:30 am, we were awaked by a group of girls staying in the next room. They were hanging out in the hallways and were doing what teenagers does. Talking, giggling, and slamming doors. We called the front desk and it took them over 30 minutes to come up to speak to them. By then, we couldn't go back to sleep. The next morning, we requested to be moved.

The "beach club" was really nice, but it was a drive away. Wished we stayed on the island instead. Won't be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aimee N
Dear Aimee N,

Thank you for your recent review. While I was pleased you enjoyed our magnificent Beach Club located on Lido Key on the Gulf of Mexico, I was very sorry hear of your overall disappointing experience and apologize if you were inconvenienced in any way.

Your constructive feedback is appreciated and if you would like to discuss this further with me I can be reached at 941.309-2001.

Damien O’Riordan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Tropical Beach Resorts
Tropical Beach Resorts
#3 of 12 in Siesta Key
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,336 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!