“Has Gone Downhill”

Tropical Thai Restaurant
Ranked #319 of 1,055 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Here last night and found out they are going to move across the street to smaller quarters. Have enjoyed previously, but last night restaurant was hot, server was not happy appearing, rice had lots of hard grains, and food had little taste. May need to consider avoiding until moved to north side of Main St.

2  Thank dwbfl0515

Reviewed 21 March 2013

This restaurant is a long-time standard of ours. It is really pretty with a truly Thai atmosphere, and the prices are very reasonable despite it's location in the middle of downtown. The food is quite tasty, though you will have to request it spicy if that's what you want.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

I've eaten here several times and had several different dishes. Overall, I tend to agree with other reviewers that the food tends to be more Chinese than Thai. The vegetables are always fresh and crispy. The sauces no matter what the name seem to be the same, a brown style sauce. Not bad, Not great. They do have curries, which I've only tried one time and really didn't like compared to other Thai restaurants I've dined at. At the start of the meal they do serve a small complimentary green salad with a very nice dressing that no one at our table could quite pin down a name on. Must be house made. It's very light & creamy. They also serve a complimentary bowl of broth with a few rice noodles thrown in. The broth is rather bland in my opinion. It lacks that freshness of other broth I've been served at Thai restaurants with a hint of lemongrass or other fresh herbs. On a positive note, the atmosphere is very relaxing with dark wood oriental carvings, soft music, and a nice retreat from the hustle & bustle of the other main street restaurants. Except for the food is just average.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

Our Wineing Diners dinner group went to tropical Thai for dinner last night and I was very disappointed. The service was poor and the food was average, considering only one other table was full when we arrived there is really no excuse. The atmosphere was not great, many of the tables were actually broken and falling apart. We had to hunt the server down to place our food order. No drinks, rice, etc. were ever refilled. We actually wondered if our server hated us. I had crab rangoon and chicken curry and the best thing about the food was that it came on a fish shaped plate. If you are looking for good Thai and great service, The Drunken Poet is a few doors down and is still my favorite, I think Tropical Thai has seen its day.

Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

I had the crispy duck, which i akways wat when we eat Thai.
I have to say this was the worse thai food i ever had.
Tasted more like chinese and very bland.
My husband had yellow chicken curry with vegetables.
The same bland taste.