“The food is so delicious”
Review of Sofrito Mama's

Sofrito Mama's
Ranked #5 of 1,078 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$8 - US$13
Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: At Sofrito Mama's you will find mouth watering, home-style Puerto Rican cuisine. Our menu is filled with a wide array of reasonably priced, traditional meals for the entire family from fried appetizers, rice & beans, roast pork & stews, salads, to signature specialty dishes & delicious homemade desserts. Whether it's lunch or dinner, Sofrito Mama's Latin Comfort Food is just what you need to tickle your hunger fancy.
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Decided to try this place due to the reviews I read on TA. This is a walk up style restaurant where you order at the counter.

The owner is really friendly and explains what each dish is and what it contains.

I can't remember what my dish was called but it was like a tamale dish with plantains it was really good. The flavor was amazing. I had the black rice and beans and they were about the best I ever had.

If you are in sarasota you have to stop and try this place. I don't this any restaurant in town could beat this place.

Keep up the great work.

3  Thank Shawn S

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Food is the reason you come here. The owners are very personable and helped my husband with his choices, with a great deal of patience (my husband is a Libra and takes forever to decide on what to eat, today was no exception). As mentioned previously, this is a take out restaurant with some tables on the sidewalk. My suggestion is that you get your food to go, take it home, put it on some nice plates and enjoy a wonderful home cooked meal. We started out eating outside and the food was fantastic, even using plastic forks and knives and eating out of styrofoam containers. We decided to pack up about a quarter of the way through our meals for a number of reasons, the wind, the heat and the fact that there was so much food, we were full. We are looking forward to finishing the large amount of leftovers tonight for dinner. I will not talk about the food that we ate, but I will tell you, it was delicious, as I am sure everything is here. Besides the outstanding food and dedicated owners who are making all of the food from scratch and from their hearts, this place is immaculate.

2  Thank Suri22
Reviewed 28 April 2014

After seeing that it was #1 in Sarasota, we decided to have dinner at Sofrito Mama's. It is a tiny take out restaurant where you can eat on the side walk with your dinner on styrofoam. No atmosphere but the food is very good. I had the fried plantains, pork, rice and an empanada.
The pork was a bit dry but the rice was wonderful and the plantains were delicious. The empanada was not the best that I have had but was good. The tres leches cake was good as well.
The prices are very reasonable.
The owner was very personable and helpful and handed us the Trip Advisor card as we left.

1  Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed 28 April 2014

On a recent trip to Sarasota, Florida my family and I had dinner at Sofrito Mamas. We found it by looking at the reviews on TripAdvisor. Once again, TripAdvisor did not let me down. Sofrito Mama's specializes in Puerto Rican cuisine. Don't come here looking for a fancy restaraunt. This is a small carryout in a shopping plaza with a few tables outside. In short, it was just what I was looking for.

The man at the counter that took our order was very friendly and welcoming. He very patiently told about the items on the menu. After we ordered our selections we listened to some cool latin music until our food arrived.

We all enjoyed our meals, my son had a roast pork sandwich, my wife had tostones (fried plaintains), and I had a Cuban sandwich. Eating outside on a perfect evening, this was a great relaxing meal on our vacation.

1  Thank bdbb
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Me and a girlfriend drove up from Punta Gorda on a whim and craving for Mogfongo and it was well worth the 45 min drive. We started out with a chicken and beef Empanadas.. and to be truthful I wasn't excited about ordering a Chicken Empanada with the expectation of something blahh and dried out.. TOTALLY Opposite.. the meat was tender and flavorful! I burned my mouth cramming it in too fast..and it was sooo worth it.
We both ordered the Mofongo with fried pork and upgraded the salad to the Avocado tomato salad. . Again nervous about the order since I've had some dried out, tougher then leather, tasteless fried pork... First off the Mofongo was garlicy, chicharroney goodness (yes I know chicharroney is not a word, but it should be..) 2nd The sauce that came with it was a nice mixture of sweet and savory. 3rd The fried pork was seasoned and juicy. The fat wasn't completely trimmed off which is a BONUS in my book.. Gives more flavor for the short life I'm sure to live by eating it. but what was really nice was the spice blend that was rubbed onto the pork. Every time I've had it in the past it was never seasoned.. Going back the Avacado and tomato salad was fresh and ripe topped with Extra virgin Olive oil and pepper. Simple Goodness. We also left with a side of red beans and rice and a Alcapurria. the Beans were again very flavorful and cooked perfectly. The Alcapurria for me was a first but my girlfriend who had a Brazilian friend make them for her before said they were amazing.. The Portions are large and my leftovers fed my husband and there was still leftovers... Needless to say we will be back!!! The owners are lovely and we had a fun experience talking to them about culture and food! Try the different sodas!

2  Thank Mimi S