“Great great food!!!”

Sofrito Mama's
Price range: US$8 - US$13
Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: At Sofrito Mama's you will find mouth watering, home-style Puerto Rican cuisine. Our menu is filled with a wide array of reasonably priced, traditional meals for the entire family from fried appetizers, rice & beans, roast pork & stews, salads, to signature specialty dishes & delicious homemade desserts. Whether it's lunch or dinner, Sofrito Mama's Latin Comfort Food is just what you need to tickle your hunger fancy.
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Omg the food at this joint was just simply amazing. Asked for extra meat and they hooked it up...I would definitely go back to this joint...

SofritoMamas, Owner at Sofrito Mama's, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

So glad we were able to satisfy even the hungriest of appetites and still sent you home with a little leftovers. Safe trucking!!!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I don't get what all the hype is about. Yes, the owner is very friendly ... but I went for the food. I ordered the pork platter, which the owner says is their best seller. I don't know why. Pork was tasty enough, but nothing special. Sauce was hot (spicy) but not tasty. Not impressed with plantains (but that's more a matter of personal preference). Only thing I really enjoyed was the avocado/tomato salad, but the dressing for that - mayo-based - was just boring. Won't be back and won't recommend.

10  Thank Emily L
SofritoMamas, Owner at Sofrito Mama's, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

We are so sorry to hear that you were not impressed with your meal here. I do recall your visit vividly. Your order was Pernil (roast pork), you opted out of rice and substituted it for tostones (fried crispy plantains), and you accompanied that with the tomato-avocado salad. Our tomato-avocado salad is dressed by us with a light dusting of salt & pepper and extra virgin olive oil. You were told that the sauce you received on the side (mayo based) was DIP SAUCE for your tostones. It was not dressing for your, already dressed, salad. Unfortunately this was an error on your behalf and we are so sorry that we cannot take responsibility for your misuse of it. Fortunately our menu does not consist only of what you ordered during your very 1st visit; we offer a wide and very tasty selection of dishes. It would be a pleasure to serve you again should you find yourself longing to broaden your horizon with our menu. Best Regards.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I only gave this a five star, because I can't give it six stars. This is number #1 out of 800 restaurants for a reason! The food was amazing, and the portions are huge!. Great value1 here! The gentleman working the front counter who took my order was very friendly. He suggested making a couple of meals into platters just to save us some money. The food was all excellent, but my favorite was the beef stew meat with the black bean rice. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Decided to try this place due to the reviews I read on TA. This is a walk up style restaurant where you order at the counter.

The owner is really friendly and explains what each dish is and what it contains.

I can't remember what my dish was called but it was like a tamale dish with plantains it was really good. The flavor was amazing. I had the black rice and beans and they were about the best I ever had.

If you are in sarasota you have to stop and try this place. I don't this any restaurant in town could beat this place.

Keep up the great work.

3  Thank Shawn S
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Food is the reason you come here. The owners are very personable and helped my husband with his choices, with a great deal of patience (my husband is a Libra and takes forever to decide on what to eat, today was no exception). As mentioned previously, this is a take out restaurant with some tables on the sidewalk. My suggestion is that you get your food to go, take it home, put it on some nice plates and enjoy a wonderful home cooked meal. We started out eating outside and the food was fantastic, even using plastic forks and knives and eating out of styrofoam containers. We decided to pack up about a quarter of the way through our meals for a number of reasons, the wind, the heat and the fact that there was so much food, we were full. We are looking forward to finishing the large amount of leftovers tonight for dinner. I will not talk about the food that we ate, but I will tell you, it was delicious, as I am sure everything is here. Besides the outstanding food and dedicated owners who are making all of the food from scratch and from their hearts, this place is immaculate.

2  Thank Suri22