“Excellent PR food!”

Ranked #6 of 1,031 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$8 - US$13
Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: At Sofrito Mama's you will find mouth watering, home-style Puerto Rican cuisine. Our menu is filled with a wide array of reasonably priced, traditional meals for the entire family from fried appetizers, rice & beans, roast pork & stews, salads, to signature specialty dishes & delicious homemade desserts. Whether it's lunch or dinner, Sofrito Mama's Latin Comfort Food is just what you need to tickle your hunger fancy.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent PR food!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

After reading the glowing reviews for Sofrito Mama's on Tripadvisor I knew I had to give it a try. I was raised in a Puerto Rican household and have traveled all over the island eating up its delicious food. The menu at Sofrito Mama's is a greatest hits of comida puertorriqueña. We ordered the following:

1. Pernil - Juicy and seasoned perfectly. I always judge a PR restaurant by its Pernil and Sofrito Mama's kills it.
2. Bistec Encebolla - Tender and juicy.
3. Bistec Empanazado - Fried perfectly in a delicious breading.
4. Bacalaito - Delicious cod fritter.
5. Pastelillo de carne - one of the best empanadas I have ever had. Make sure to ask for hot sauce.
6. Coco Rico - Coconut soda from PR. I live in DC and it is hard to come by up north so I had to indulge.
7. Guaraná Antarctica - The most popular guaraná-flavoured soft drink in Brazil. This is another delicious drink that is hard to come by in the north.

We ordered arroz con gandules with all of the entrees and it was also executed perfectly.

Sofrito Mama's is takeout only. There are some tables outside, if you can't wait to get home to tear into the food. I would recommend this restaurant to everybody and anybody. It was hands down my favorite place to eat while in Sarasota/Siesta Key.

• Visited August 2014

Sarasota, Florida
“Love it!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My family is originally from Puerto Rico so I was intrigued to see that this restaurant is a high rating one on Tripadvisor. I finally made it there last week with my husband and we both loved it! We ordered a pound of pernil (roast pork), arroz con gandules (rice with peas) and platano maduro (sweet plaintains). Everything was delicious! The pernil was moist and perfectly seasoned, the arroz was just like mama makes and the platano was wonderful. All of this for just about $17 before tip and we had enough left over for lunch the next day. Can't wait to go back for mofongo Thursday LOL!

• Visited August 2014
jlbolden, Owner at Sofrito Mama's, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
"Mofongo Thursday's"...I think I like it. So glad that not only did you two come in to try our food but also found your way back the very following Thursday to have Mofongo. Thank you for your amazing review. We can't wait to hear what you think about our Mofongo. See soon!!!
Venice, Florida
“Simply the Best !!!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I'd like to start off by saying that I have dined at some of the top rated latin restaurants while living in NYC and the food in this establishment ranks up there with the best. My wife and I tried the mofongo, white rice and red beans, garden salad, avocado salad and for desert had the tres leche cake . Everything we ate tasted remarkable and the tres leche cake was awesome ! This is a true family run business and their pride shows. The friendliness , cleanliness and food was simply the best. I will be returning over and over again and highly recommend this restaurant to friends and family. Keep in mind that this place is take-out with outside seating ,there is no doubt this place will eventually expand and be around for a long time.

• Visited July 2014
Maitland, Florida
“One of the Most Pleasant Surprises!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I came to sarasota for 2 days….Anndddd, we ate here for lunch both days! We found it on trip advisor and decided to give it a try. This is a family owned restaurant and the owners simply couldn't be nicer. Their food was on a different level altogether. One of the best cuban sandwiches I've had in my life. (try their dipping sauce and their homemade hot sauce) Their food is cooked with so much love. The beef empanada was out of this world, again be sure to use the dipping sauce! The first day my wife got the arroz con pollo and day 2 she tried their "Wednesday Special" which was a sweet plantain casserole. Lets just say, I'll be dreaming of it tonight… Very inventive, down to earth people. This husband wife and daughter team not only connect with their customers, but its obvious to anyone who goes in there that they have a passion for cooking great food. They really appreciate putting a smile on your face. Well done guys! We will be coming back up from Orlando soon for thirds!!!

• Visited July 2014
San Francisco, California
“Great taste, huge portions!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Visiting friends in Sarasota and we went to Sofrito Mama's to get our Puerto Rican food fix. The menu is limited, but the food is awesome. The portions are huge and can be easily shared. The place is take out only, but they have outside seating. Good food, huge portions, reasonable price = very happy customer!

Visited July 2014