After reading the glowing reviews for Sofrito Mama's on Tripadvisor I knew I had to give it a try. I was raised in a Puerto Rican household and have traveled all over the island eating up its delicious food. The menu at Sofrito Mama's is a greatest hits of comida puertorriqueña. We ordered the following:
1. Pernil - Juicy and seasoned perfectly. I always judge a PR restaurant by its Pernil and Sofrito Mama's kills it.
2. Bistec Encebolla - Tender and juicy.
3. Bistec Empanazado - Fried perfectly in a delicious breading.
4. Bacalaito - Delicious cod fritter.
5. Pastelillo de carne - one of the best empanadas I have ever had. Make sure to ask for hot sauce.
6. Coco Rico - Coconut soda from PR. I live in DC and it is hard to come by up north so I had to indulge.
7. Guaraná Antarctica - The most popular guaraná-flavoured soft drink in Brazil. This is another delicious drink that is hard to come by in the north.
We ordered arroz con gandules with all of the entrees and it was also executed perfectly.
Sofrito Mama's is takeout only. There are some tables outside, if you can't wait to get home to tear into the food. I would recommend this restaurant to everybody and anybody. It was hands down my favorite place to eat while in Sarasota/Siesta Key.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.