“The Fella Never Disappoints”
Review of Mozzarella Fella

Mozzarella Fella
Ranked #8 of 1,031 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$8 - US$13
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Mozzarella Fella is a great place opened lunch in downtown Sarasota just east of Orange avenue. You can watch the owner make fresh Mozzarella, then enjoy it! I ordered a ball of Mozzarella to go and made my own Insalata Caprese when I got home. I also sampled the sausage and peppers which were excellent and a had a connoli which was wonderful.
Staten Island, New York
“The Fella Never Disappoints”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Each year we travel to Sarasota for beautiful beaches and great food. The Mozzarella Fella never disappoints! This year was spent six days and five of those were lunch at the Fella. Friendly faces of staff who not only remembered us but treated us like family sealed the deal - this is our favorite place to eat! This year I wanted to try something stick to my old standard the calamari sandwich! I can't get it anywhere else and decided that a taste of all others was perfect as my husband agreed to order an split the sandwiches half and half at each meal. Chicken Marsala, the Italian, veal cutlet with broccoli rabe and mozzarella, the Italian and of course the calamari made every meal a delight! We even brought a veal sandwich home to NY for my dad because it was so amazing! We can't wait to return next summer.

1 Thank NSFNY

Chicago, Illinois
1,590 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,858 helpful votes
“Best place for lunch in a hurry”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

In its relatively short time, Mozzarella Fella has emerged as a smashing success. According to Sarasota Magazine, it produces the best new sandwiches in town. In fact, it is rated as the No. 1 restaurant in the Sarasota area in one survey. Walk into the restaurant on Main Street in downtown Sarasota and you'll think you're in New York City. Michael and Victoria Calore, who were raised in Brooklyn, run Mozzarella Fella like it was an Italian-style New York deli. That includes authentic dishes like antipasto, lasagna, soups and homemade mozzarella. More than 25 sandwich and salad combinations are listed on the menu. Here's what Sarasota Magazine had to say about it: "Mozzarella Fella quickly earned a legion of fans for its New York Italian-style sandwiches. Wrapped in deli paper, the sandwiches span classics like chicken/veal/eggplant parm, deli creations like Boars Head ham with pesto aioli, and daily specials like the heavenly, quick-to-sell-out, gravy-soaked, braised short rib. And almost all feature the Fella's house-made mozzarella." Try the No. 1 mozzarella, tomato and arugula sandwich or the $14 meatball sub or the No. 9 grilled chicken or the No. 19 roast beef with caramelized onion and house-made brown gravy. My wife loved the No. 4 prosciutto and I thoroughly enjoyed the No. 10 Boars Head Genoa salami with fresh mozzarella, Italian oregano and Virgin olive oil. And don't forget the cannoli.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Taylor B
“Great food, even better people”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and my 3 year old and myself visited this restaurant because of yelp and trip advisor reviews and we were not disappointed. I had the #1 mozzarella, tomato and arugula sandwich it was so fresh and light it was amazing. The bread alone would bring me back. My husband had the #14 meatball sub and it was delicious you can tell they make everything in house my husband's quote was "I could eat 10 more of these". But what really sealed the deal for us was the attention from everyone who worked there. They were super friendly and outgoing. They made our 3 year old a grilled mozzarella sandwich and we're so cute with him. The owner even gave him a cannolli (which was beyond amazing....I had a bite or two). I wish we lived closer we would come all the time. Trust me if you are in Sarasota or Siesta Key venture out and have an delicious experience.

Frederick, Maryland
“Good but not great...”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We have visited Mozzarella Fella on prior vists to Sarasota and the food is good. We tried their Italian cold cut, meatball, grilled chicken, and eggplant subs - all come with fresh mozzarella which we like. The subs don't quite measure up to the Italian delis of New York or New Jersey, but it's close. They offer a limited selection of antipasto salads in the deli case - we particularly like the fennel salad. They offer good subs at a reasonable price so we made it a point to return on our recent trip to Sarasota.

• Visited July 2014
Sarasota, Florida
“Best Lunch Period”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I work downtown and this is by far my favorite place to eat lunch. It's not fancy but the food is amazing. Just order a #19 and enjoy. They make their mozzarella fresh daily!

• Visited July 2014