“Perfect if you like a Dive Bar/Comedy Club”

McCurdy's Comedy Theatre
Ranked #1 of 32 Nightlife in Sarasota
More attraction details
Owner description: Nationally touring professional & celebrity stand up comedians weekly shows Wed. thru Sun. with regular host Les McCurdy over 4000 sq ft. state of the art showroom also outer public Green Room holding lounge Established 1988 the new facility is the newest comedy theatre in America the zip code is 34236 three parking garages within two blocks
Sarasota, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Perfect if you like a Dive Bar/Comedy Club”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

First off, I need to say we did have a good time. This might have to do with the fact that I actually appreciate a run-down dive bar with bad service. The headliner was Robert Dubac. I hadn't heard of him or researched him, but he was great- we all laughed a lot. No comment on the opening act.

The venue is located in a dodgy part of town, so I didn't have my hopes up, and I'm glad I didn't. Seating and ordering was awkward, and the waiter was the worst: he pressured us to order food before we wanted to, and bothered us during the show to pay the bill. Even the comedian was making jokes about him as he continuously interrupted his show.

Being a comedy club, they probably should have made jokes about their terrible service. If they had embraced that, I would feel more comfortable to assure that my wife would visit again. As is, I wouldn't discourage anyone from a visit, it was pretty fun- but it's hard to say if we will be back.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Jack M

Orlando, Florida
“Great place !”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Me and my husband spend the weekend in Sarasota, this was a great place to have fun and laugh with a group or as a couple. We had so much fun... U have to consume 2 things from the menu, the food was not that good but the cheese cake was ok, the refillable coke for $8 was a ripoff .
Overall experience was great, I would recommend to friends and I would love to comeback .
The comedians was very, very funny.... If you are in town this is a great place to go !

Visited November 2012
Florida
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Laugh til it hurts, just FANTASTIC”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is not our first visit to McCurdy's. In fact, we have been going there for over 6 years. The owner, Les McCurdy, is an experienced comic and he usually does the warm up for the main act. Les is worth the price of admission, he interacts with the crowd and comes back with great comments and jokes. He books great comedy talent from all across the country.

The cost is fair, usually under $25 per person, often under $15. There is a two item minimum purchase from his food and drink menu, those are priced resonably as well.

At times, Les offers a family night with a G rated comic and no alchol served. These are usually a sell out.

Seating is comfortable, the theater is well air conditioned, the staff is just plain great. If you are in the Sarasota area, you owe it to yourself to visit this place.

Visited September 2012
Port Charlotte
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Funny,affordable and informal”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

we saw a Saturday night show with the owner of McCurdys as the opener, a second act and then the manin act.The place was packed,but we had a nice table up front.It is very informal and very funny! The drinks were average prices but very good quality.Snacks are available,but are just OK.The servers were always available and prompt,also very friendly.I recommend buying tickets ahead of time and having them waiitng at the box office...much more efficient.it was out first visit and we would go again.A great,fun night.

Visited August 2012
Sarasota, Florida
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Sarasota’s best Comedy Club!”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

When we travel, we often look for a comedy club for something to do in the evenings. Sarasota local’s love McCurdy’s Comedy Club, so I was surprised to see that no one had taken the time to write a review for them on TripAdvisor.

My wife and I have been going to this club with friends for many years and have never been disappointed. Every week they have new comedians, many featured on the Tonight Show, Comedy Central, and Evening at the Improv. They offer a bar menu with light snacks, pizza, specialty cocktails, beer, wine and soft drinks. There is a two item per person minimum purchase required during the show, but everything on their menu is moderately priced. They also add a 15% gratuity to every check for the servers. Tickets for all shows are reasonably priced and can be ordered online or by phone. Les McCurdy, the owner, usually does the ‘warm-up’ monologue and is very funny. His sidesplitting humor makes everyone laugh as he interacts with the audience. He’s so entertaining, we would go to the club just for his stand-up.

If you live in Sarasota or just visiting, and looking for an enjoyable evening out without breaking the bank, McCurdy’s Comedy Theatre is a sure bet. We always buy our tickets in advance online to get the best seats. Shows are about 90 minutes long and every time we go, our jaws hurt when leaving from laughing so hard. Since the club serves adult beverages, you must be at least 18 years old to be admitted. Check their web site at www. mccurdyscomedy.com for a schedule of current comics and show times.

Visited April 2012